If you use HitFilm, let us know!

Comments

• We'll be releasing a beta update soon that will hopefully address some AVCHD performance issues.
  • I haven't had much time to play with this, but was blown away by how clean a green screen effect I could do with hitfilm. The masking and spill removal worked great. I was also able to do some sci-fi weapons fx based on the laser bolt tutorial as well.
  • I use hitfilm for everything from action movies, to little short films. Definetly worth the money I spent on it.
  • I use hitfilm, but I've not actually made anything yet.
    I'm learning it from all the awesome tutorial material you and others have put on youtube - in fact, that was what made me want it so much! FreddieW and Corridor Digital are 2 chans that inspire and enthuse me, and I'm gettign together a bunch of stuff to get started - at first, it'll be low on actor talent, mainly one person, possibly me, as I am not from any actor/film/TV circles.
    I'm also going to be scoring and doing the audio effects for the stuff I make.
    Exciting times!
    P
  • just started using the standard version. seriously thinking about upgrading soon, there simply isn't enough in standard to play around with.
  • I just bought HitFilm Ultimate.
    I am still trying to adjust to the new reality of the matter. The reality as I see it
    is that finally someone (FXhome in this instance) took the smart and bold initiative to
    hit the market with a software that has almost the power of both Adobe's premiere and
    after effects but at a price for the home user and hobbyist and not necessarily huge
    production studios. The price its unbelievable in relation with its features and power.
    Another thing that strikes me most is that this program wont force you to buy a "proffesional" GPU costing again more than a thousand dollars/euros. IT will work just fine with any "gaming" multi core GPU from both battlefields (NVIDIA / AMD).
    Of course..the better the machine the more responsive the program is.
    Now I only hope someone applies the same recipy for other useful software such as
    photoshop and 3D animation programs. That would complete all the needed tools for beginning
    to play with special effects that have that pro-production-grade feel to it.
    Other companies should see this and remember that not all users are pros or having production studios but they still have the same expensive hobbies of creativity.
    You cant charge 10,000+ dollars for a 3D animation program a hobbyist so can play with it.
    its simply rediculous. Demo versions are not enough and expire soon.
    Hitfilm is a pioneer with a wise and sane marketing plan that will be the final nail to the coffin of any other redicously expensive software company.

• I have a Intel CPU I5 2500k ( quad-core 3,3Ghz), with 16G of Mem, and a nvidia GTX560 1G video card, and when I'm just adding my video files it's lagging, even when I put the render at half resolution. I really love everything about Hitfilm, I want to buy it cause I have contract coming, but with the lagging problem, I can't work with it. I'm just doing my cuts in my video files, and it's so slow. If my computer's specs are not strong enough, I guess I'm gonna have to wait, cause I just bought it!!!....lol

I have HITFILM Ultimate installed on 2 machines.
    1) an AMD FX 8120 with 8 GB ram and 2 HD7970 Graphics cards in Crossfire on an Asus crossair Formula V motherboard
    2) an I7-990X intel with 24 GB ram (not overclocked) and a Quadro 4000 Graphics card.

after I make 30 second nested composition with a few color correction and lens effects, my AMD setup often freezes
    (just the program not windows 7 ultimate 64bit)
    my Intel setup never Crashes while using this software.
    I even turn render quality of the viewer window resolution to Quarter but if I play with the track editing playback head
    it will still crash..I believe its because of a crappy CPU not Hitfilm's Fault.. I mean there is always of course room
    for new software optimization techniques and updates but if you dont have a hardware monster you cant expect solid
    performance at all times without glitches here and there. so my advice is the the oldest one there is that still works

"SAVE YOUR PROJECT AND SAVE OFTEN."

P.S: Also you can try buying a video converter and before you use Hitfilm convert your source videos from AVCHD to .MP4 which is a lot lighter and CPU intensive. All video editing programs so far agree to that.
  • I use Hit Film, and just upgraded to Hit Film 2. I love using it. I have bgun to learn to use 3d modeling with Cinema 4D R13. Hit Film 2 is great for importing films. I would suggest 3ds format over Obj though.
    I am currently working on shots for a sci fi short film AND a sci fi feature film using Hit Film 2. I also own AE, but use HFF2 over it because the functions are more user friendly, and just seems to be an easier time saving product. I also have used Hit Film with my first feature film, Southwest (www.southwestmovie.com). I animated blood, used FFit Film's masking, muzzle flashes, etc... for this film. Loved it! I was also able to do cloning with a couple combat scenes with US Army Soldier scenes, turning two humvees we had into 5, and 6 soldiers into 20. Great product!
    [attachment=498:ComabthooFILTERED.jpg]
    There are only 4 soliders in this scene, however this was shot on a tripod, and the top part masked out with the bottom and muzzle flashes were also added using Fit Film.
  • i have hitfilm express 2 and it is amazing!! i just wanted to know, is AVCHD format supported in hitfilm 2? if not, i would like to see that in a future update
    thanks
  • Yes, AVCHD is supported. However, AVCHD isn't a format designed for editing, and performance will not be as pleasing as if you used a proper editing format.
  • edited January 2013
    Just recently purchased Hitfilm Express through Sony's Platinum FX bundle. I am totally noob at video editing and film making. I bought the software to do church media projects as well as getting into short films to flesh out story ideas that I have already written for live drama. Spent this last weekend diving into Hitfilm with footage I already have and learning the foundational mechanics of how hitFilm works. I was amazed on how easy it was to learn and to apply immediately to my projects. So thanks to the FX home staff, Axel, and others that I have watched tutorials from that made it so easy! I will definitely upgrade to Ultimate next month when I get my tax return money.
    The only question I have is...Is there a list of 3rd party plugins that are compatible with HitFilm?
  • Thanks redeemed! Much appreciated.
    There aren't really any 3rd party plugins for HitFilm at the moment, partly due to our commitment to trying to put as many features into the program as possible rather than requiring people to spend even more money on plug-ins to get the features they need.
    Notable exceptions, of course, are the Vegas integration and mocha HitFilm, which is included as part of the deal with HitFilm 2 Ultimate.

• Thanks redeemed! Much appreciated.
    There aren't really any 3rd party plugins for HitFilm at the moment, partly due to our commitment to trying to put as many features into the program as possible rather than requiring people to spend even more money on plug-ins to get the features they need.
    Notable exceptions, of course, are the Vegas integration and mocha HitFilm, which is included as part of the deal with HitFilm 2 Ultimate.

Thanks Simon. I think I found my answer from another post I read about exportable an importable footage or still shots. (ex. Copilot stuff) which is what I think I meant vs. what I actually typed...lol. So I would also assume if I shot my own footage of say...I don't know...fire. I should be able to import that into HitFilm and make it do what I want it to do.
    I do totally understand the affordability thing. Being a media composer, I am always looking for the best quality product (orchestral samples, synths, etc...) for the least amount money for projects I'm working on. Which was another selling point for me on picking up Hitfilm as well as the power under the hood. After just a weekend with the software, it seems once learning how everything works that my imagination would be my only barrier. Which in today's home studio market, that is what people are going for. That is what I went for!
    So thanks again for a great product and look forward to any development you guys do as well as being apart of the Film making community.
    -Cy
  • It sounds like what you are referring to is Stock Footage, redeemed. And yes, you can import stock footage into Hitfilm just like any other footage, for use in your compositing endeavors.
    Glad to hear the tutorials were useful to you. Feedback is much appreciated. :)
  • I would be so incredibly happy if you could add a feature, where masks can follow tracking data. Is it hard to transform Position and rotation keyframes into mask path keyframes?

• I would be so incredibly happy if you could add a feature, where masks can follow tracking data. Is it hard to transform Position and rotation keyframes into mask path keyframes?

That would be nice. Maybe an offset or point associated with the mask the tracking data could be applied to.
  • Yeah, more like "make a mask follow a point, wich tracking data is applied to"
  • Yep I use Hitfilm 2. I upgraded my Sony Vegas movie studio 8 to movie studio platinum so I could work with HD formats. I'm principly a 3d modeller/artist and stretched my meagre funds to get the Sony package which includes HitFilm 2 Express. Well done to the developers of HitFilm - a UI that's intuitive and refreshingly easy to use now has me going back and 'remastering' (that's an audio term but I don't know if there is a video equivalent) some of my older 3d animation footage' Man I'm having a blast! The extra power of HitFilm 2 Express to add brilliant effects has totally rejuvenated the old footage and has been a true joy to use as well. I intend to post some of this work when I get something finished.
    As I'm a poor struggling artist (cue tragic violins) who blew his resources to get the Sony/HitFilm package I can't see myself being able to afford the much desired upgrade to Ultimate any time soon so I'm going to have a crack at winning it through the RodyPolis video challenge. Good practice too for familiarising myself with HitFilm 2's capabilities.
    I do have a technique query for which I have not found an answer: With the 'fluffy cloud' effect is there any way to adjust or switch off the decay rate of the effect? I want the cloud to linger longer and not fade away. Any pointers and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
    Final comment: How cool to hear English accents in the (excellent) video tutorials. As I'm 'an Englishman abroad' (I live in rural New Zealand) it's always great to hear voices from the Motherland!
    TIA
    WZRD
  • Yep I use it and love it! Trying to prepare for a feature film and yep using it :D
    Here the link to the promo: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t-b-c/x/2342884
  • wzrd - that kind of control is available in the main particle simulator in Ultimate, but the quick 3D effects are quite specific in their uses so don't have such flexible customisation.
    Welcome to the community - can't wait to see what you guys are creating.
  • Hi Simon - thanks for the answer. Sadly I can't afford to upgrade for a while but I'm already convinced I 'need' the Ultimate version. I just need to convince my partner that I 'need' it!! I'll upgrade eventually for sure but it's a long way off right now.
    Thanks again - you guys are great.
    Atb
    wzrd

• Thanks Simon. I think I found my answer from another post I read about exportable an importable footage or still shots. (ex. Copilot stuff) which is what I think I meant vs. what I actually typed...lol. So I would also assume if I shot my own footage of say...I don't know...fire. I should be able to import that into HitFilm and make it do what I want it to do.
    I do totally understand the affordability thing. Being a media composer, I am always looking for the best quality product (orchestral samples, synths, etc...) for the least amount money for projects I'm working on. Which was another selling point for me on picking up Hitfilm as well as the power under the hood. After just a weekend with the software, it seems once learning how everything works that my imagination would be my only barrier. Which in today's home studio market, that is what people are going for. That is what I went for!
    So thanks again for a great product and look forward to any development you guys do as well as being apart of the Film making community.
    -Cy

Just upgraded to ultimate over the weekend like I said...all I can say is that I have not left the studio.
    Very cool stuff!!!!!!!!!!
  • I use Hitfilm. I have the 30 sec Demo but my brother has the Complete version. were using it to make short action films. we've been using for about a year and a half, so were little bit of beginers
  • Telaret,
    I'm not sure what version of Hitfilm your brother has, but most versions of Hitfilm allow more than one instance to be installed at once (up to three). Unless it is Hitfilm 1 Express, your brother might be able to legally share his copy with you so you can better work on your projects together. 
  • I have a question. The thumbnail for the compositing video add for hitfilm under the "discover hitfilm" page of the website. it shows a plane in the air with an amazing looking explosion!!!!! I was just wondering how you guys composited that into the scene. did you use particle simulators, stock footage? or something else? Thanks :)
    P.S. this picture was also included in the newest hitfilm news letter.
  • I have a question. The thumbnail for the compositing video add for hitfilm under the "discover hitfilm" page of the website. it shows a plane in the air with an amazing looking explosion!!!!! I was just wondering how you guys composited that into the scene. did you use particle simulators, stock footage? or something else? Thanks :)
    P.S. this picture was also included in the newest hitfilm news letter.

It looks like flight kit and jet strike. But i could be totally wrong. But the explosion is definitely stock footage.
    https://www.videocopilot.net/products/3d/jetstrike/#flightkit

• I picked up hitfilm for Christmas (Merry Christmas to me from me, yaaaaay). Coming from Premiere, it took pretty much zero time to pick up on the work flow! Love it! Plus I love how clean the interface is. Also, as for integration between compositing and editing, I couldn't be more enthusiastic. If you're looking for ideas for future releases, I'd love to see an audio sync option for dual system recording, and the ability to save trimmed clips back into the media folder. I really like the fact that you are trying to provide a wide variety of features to keep the users from having to pick up 3rd party plug ins. Many kudos (and to be honest, its one of the reasons I grabbed the software.)
  • I recently did a motion Graphic course, in part they used HitFilm. Never have I heard of HitFilm. I truely enjoy this software. A track editor and layer editor in one,love it.
  • @phaseman - that good to hear!  Out of curiosity, where was the course, who put it on?
  • I am based in Bangkok , Thailand. Was a 12 week course motion graphic and visual effects. Digital Visual Academy.

Sign in to comment