Downloading Latest Version Of Hitfilm Express?

Hello Video Gods!

Ok, so um, I was going to buy the starter pack for Hitfilm Express.  The sales page says I must upgrade to the latest version of Express, which seems like a reasonable plan.

Ok, I give up, what's the secret incantation needed to find a working download link???

I started here, from a link in a sales email.

https://hitfilm.com/store/hitfilm-express?utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=2018-01-09-hitfilm-january-hitfilm-express

And then I wind up here:

https://hitfilm.com/express

Which takes me to this:

https://hitfilm.com/express/westworld-to-yuma

I assume there must be a download link for the latest Express hidden somewhere in this multi-page sales pitch barrage, but I have no idea where.

Thanks for providing a clue to we of the Clueless Newbie Nation, appreciated!

Comments

• edited January 27

You're still using HitFilm 4 Express- you'll have to upgrade to HitFilm Express 2017 in order to purchase add-ons. Juda1 has provided the link.

• Thanks much for the speedy replies.   Downloading 2017 installer now.

Will it install on top of Express 4, thus erasing Express 4? 

Or is the 2017 version an entirely new app? 

In the unlikely event I don't like the 2017 version for some reason, I could delete it and reinstall Express 4, correct?  I still have Express 4 installer.

A couple of the starter pack features look very cool, and quite reasonably priced, thanks for that.

• It will be a separate program, you don't have to uninstall 4 Express if you don't want to.

• Ah, thank you very much for that info, and thanks to FXhome for arranging updates in this manner. 

I'm off to make my first Hitfilm purchase, a huge order of $8.50 which will obviously send the FXhome stock price shooting through the roof.

• I now have Express 2017 installed.   It wants me to 1) Activate and unlock OR 2) Get a free license.  Not sure why a license is required for free software, but ok, I'm willing.

2017 won't accept my serial code, which works fine for Express 4.  It shows me no way to get a different serial code.

I've upgraded from Express 4 to 2017 to buy the starter pack.  When I click on Starter Pack button within Express 2017 it takes me to a page which seems to provide no method of purchasing.

Once I get 2017 up and running I'm sure I'll like it, as I LOVE Express 4.  Really, I do, I'm not just saying that to soften the blow, but...

As an order process whose goal should be to put as few obstacles as possible between FXhome and my money, sorry, failing grade.  I'm guessing that for every person who files a whiny complaint like this there are dozens who simply get confused, become annoyed, and then quietly vanish never to be seen again.  If you have to explain to customers how they can buy from you, your order process is broken. 

On the plus side, the hyper-responsive nature of this forum is a good patch.  As a point of comparison, I tried the Adobe forums before coming here, and they didn't come close to the quality of this one. 

Feedback on the feedback welcomed.

• edited January 29

@PhilTanny ; I'm not one hundred percent certain, but your serial for Express 2017 should be in your account information under the Menu button in the top right of the page in front of you.  Mine shows an Activation button also and that tells me what all Hitfilm version I have Activated and what computer they are on (In my case the same computer)  You may have already checked here though but I thought I'd mention it in case.

And, just an informational note, old serial codes only work with the version they generated for I am sure.

• edited January 29

We have a slight problem this weekend and people aren't getting their verification emails or codes- tomorrow everyone will be back in the office and take a look.

• It looks like I need to click a link in an email to activate, and I've received no email.  The serial number for 2017 isn't in my account, checked that.  (serial for Express 4 is there).

- HF 2017 seems to take a LOT longer to load than Express 4. 

- I'm not even sure why I'm trying to update given that I don't understand most of the 4 <=> 2017 comparison description.

- Registration process seems an arcane and unnecessary obstacle which appears to be broken.

Luckily I really like Express 4, so it seems the solution is simple, just stick with that.  Perhaps I'll try again when next version arrives.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@PhilTanny I just wanted to say I'm sorry you aren't getting a registration email but these steps should work sans the email issues.

1. Make sure you are logged into your account.
    2. Open the Menu in the upper right corner and select the HitFilm Express option.
    3. Click the "LET'S DO THIS" button
    4. Click "GET HITFILM EXPRESS FREE" at the bottom of the screen.
    5. Click any of the social media sharing options. Share if you want or just close the resulting window.
    6. Now it'll ask you to create an account but at the top of this page there's a sign in link. Click it and sign in if it requires you to.
    7. You should now have a license for HitFilm Express 2017 assigned to your account without having to wait for an email.
    8. Start HitFilm Express 2017 and sign in,

As to why you need a license for free software - Any add on packs you purchase need to be linked to a "master" license code before they will activate. Doing things this way means whenever you purchase an add on, all you need to do is restart HitFilm to activate it without having to fool with manually putting in a different license code for each and every add on pack. A little bit of hassle now for potentially saving a lot of hassle and headaches down the road.

• Thank you for the assistance and detailed instructions.

I apologize for the whining, but I am attempting to make a constructive contribution. I'm also attempting to rationalize my whining.  :-)

I'm attempting to give public voice to all those anonymous folks who won't whine, but who will instead just quietly vanish upon seeing a complex install process.  You know, that's just the nature of the ever impatient Internuts, for the better and the worse.

For me the equation is:

1) I don't really understand the differences between the Express 4 and Express 2017 versions.  That is, I don't really now what I'd be getting by upgrading, and whether the new features would be relevant to what I'm doing.

2) After 20 years of designing net interfaces I have a pathological level of interest in the subject, a distracting ailment which it's probably too late to cure.

3) My interest in the Starter Pack was mostly just casual curiosity, and so obstacles fairly quickly become fatal.

At some point I'll likely read about some "must have" feature and then revisit all of this in a more determined state of mind.

Until then, thanks again!

• @PhilTanny weren't you a Hitfilm pro user?

• Nay sir, we here at Clueless Newbie Productions would not know what to do with the Pro version.  By the looks of this thread, I probably couldn't even get it installed.  :-)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment