Puppet Tool Rigidity Map

Has anyone done a video on how to use the Rigidity map with the Puppet Tool? I'm working on something using the tool and wanted to see how to best make and use a rigidity map as it sounds useful.

@InScapeDigital, have you by chance done anything on this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Something unexpected happened. I made a composite shot of the piece to be animated. I generated the mesh and points (I also dropped the tesselation.) and placed them.

The first time I tried this with three points at the bottom, thinking it would be like the puppet warp in Photoshop where those points would be used to anchor the "mesh" and keep the bottom in place. The rest going up the center of the wave.  It distorted something fierce. 

Then I dropped the tesselation and used only 2 points at bottom and it distorted less, but still distorted.

What am I not doing correctly?

Also, the video doesn't show the moving the points seems to move the whole mesh where I'm expecting it to move only the area by the point.  

https://youtu.be/RpFcrkPfQeY

Thanks.

• I just tried this with three points.  While this resulted in no distortion upon going to animate, the bottom of the wave won't stay in place. For instance, i have a point near the end of the wave curl and when I move it, it also moves the lower right end of the wave. Is there a way to diminish the influence? Is this where a rigidity map would come in handy?

• As powerful as the Puppet tool is, it does have its limitations.  I haven't used a Puppet-like tool in any other application, but my original assumption when testing it last fall was that placing a control point on the mesh would literally lock that portion in place, only allowing it to move when the control point moved.  Further usage has shown that assumption to be wrong, as you've noticed.  Long story short, while control points let you move specific parts of the mesh, they don't prevent deformation or movement caused by other points.

The only thing that will prevent deformation of the mesh is the rigidity map.  However, the rigidity map will not stop movement of the mesh relative to placed points. It only makes the mesh rigid in specific areas.

I haven't yet found a way to completely prevent movement of a given part of a Puppet mesh.  By using a rigidity map and placing a LOT of points in a given space, you can minimize the movement of that area, but it doesn't totally lock it in place.  I found a wave image online and ran a test to see similar to yours, trying with more and more points to see how much I could pin the wave base.  My last test was with 11 points in the base where the rigidity map was, and only three on top.  Moving the top made very little movement in the base, but the base still slid around.

• Should the rigidity map be a grayscale with white being most influence, or black? Thank you for testing it out.

• I'm actually not sure what it does, I've asked the devs and will get back to you.

• @crispalomino Yes.  White is where it should be the most rigid, black is default flexibility.  Also, my tests have shown that the rigidity map must be the same resolution as the layer to which the Puppet effect has been applied.  When I've tried to use a map that doesn't match, the mesh (and the image content) disappears when switching from Edit to Animate.

• Oh, thanks for that tip!

I hope they will do documentation and tutorials on this soon. Hint, hint, @InScapeDigital. :)

• @InScapeDigital speaking of Documentation how is axel doing with the documentation? 

• Another quick Puppet tip: you can change the content of the rigidity map after switching to Animate mode, and the rigidity will update on the fly. I discovered that by accident in my tests last week. No need to start from scratch if you're messing with the content of the map to fine-tune things.

• @jsbarrett So, could you use something like a moving fractal noise for the rigidity map and have your shape wiggle about if you covered it in lots of points?

• @Palacono Those points would need to be moved from their default locations, but yes, that sounds like it would work. 

Sign in to comment