Is H265 still Not Supported by Hitfilm?

I've had a Samsung NX500 for years now, using H265 for Videos,
And im trying the New Hitfilm 2017, only the Audio is showing,
Am i doing anything wrong or is H265 still Not Supported?

If it isn't what should i do? (Using a PC)

Comments

• I also had an NX500 until recently. My first step when importing video from the camera was transcoding to h.264 with ffmpeg. The space saving of h.265 provided no value to me,  since I'm not storage constrained, and it drove me crazy that Samsung didn't offer an option to use h.264 instead. I also needed to run all non-tripod video through a stabilizer to make it usable. I also used ffmpeg for that. Sample commands below.

Convert:

ffmpeg.exe -i <inFileName> -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 <outFileName>

Stabilize (two phase):

ffmpeg -y -i <inFileName> -vf vidstabdetect dummy.mp4

ffmpeg -y -i "<inFileName> -vf vidstabtransform,unsharp=5:5:0.8:3:3:0.4 <outFileName>

• Correct, Hitfilm doesn't currently support h.265 (really, only Samsung was using it, and Samsung dropped their rather promising camera lineup). 

This is likely due to licensing costs. H.265 is much more expensive to license than h.264, and the licensing terms actually require you, the content creator, to pay a 0.5% royalty on anything you monetize back to the HVEC licensing board. This has obviously slowed adoption of the format (streaming services won't touch it--the majority of h.265 devices are security DVRs). 

Rumor has it that the HVEC license will drop in cost in 2017, due to competing standards being cheaper. 

Anyways, chances of Hitfilm implementing h.265 anytime soon are tiny, since it's an expensive license that really only applies to owners of a dead Samsung camera line. 

Wish I had better news. 

@DewVinci (great name!) already listed a good walk through for ffmpeg conversion. Further transcode information can be found in the following two threads. 

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/42349/transcoding-for-better-performance-and-easier-editing#latest

http://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/6418/the-intermediate-codec-thread#latest

• If AVC/H.264 can be high overhead and cause poor timeline performance with editing, then HEVC/H.265 can take that to another level. It tends to make things worse.

• edited February 2017

I have a NX500 and convert everything to Prores HQ.

1gb h.265 = 10gb ProRes HQ but you retain a remarkable amount of detail. If you're serious about filmmaking take the time and covert it, white balance it, and color grade it. Samsung cameras offer nearly unbeatable results for the price point considering you can get the NX500 with a kit lens for $400.

• HitFilm Pro only supports the following video and audio formats:

Video:

AVCHD (M2T, MTS, M2TS)

AVI (including 10-bit and 12-bit GoPro Cineform (Windows only)

DV & HDV

MP4 (AVC/H264 & AAC)

MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 (TS, PS, MPE, MPG, MPEG, M2V)

MXF (DVCPro HD)

QuickTime MOV (including 10-bit and 12-bit Pro-Res (requires that an up to date version of QuickTime is installed on your computer)

WMV

Audio:

AAC

MP3

M4A

MPA

WAV

WMA

• Does anyone have an update on whether HitFilm will eventually allow the H.265 codec to be used? Similarly, does anyone have any idea whether the licensing cost of the H.265 has changed (lowered)? The Panasonic GH5 and GH5S use that codec.

• The fact that some modern cameras support H.265 doesn't make it a good idea to record with it. It's a great delivery codec, given its astonishing image quality relative to compression ratio and all, but it's VERY compute heavy and will make editing a royal pain in the booty. You'd end up transcoding to an edit-friendly mezzanine codec anyway just for performance reasons. Just use an all-intra codec and spend a few extra bux on hard disks, and have a lot more fun with the entire process.

• I would second that. HEVC/H.265 will but brutal to edit with for most any machine. If hardware decode is used then that can be mitigated but then that eliminates any possibility of recording in 422 color. The hardware decoders don't support that.

HEVC may be good to compress more to get more video to fit on a small flash card. It can also lower the bitrate which can help typical speed flash cards record 4K at a reasonable quality.  4K can put the hurt on flash card write performance.

AVC is hard enough to edit on most machines (average CPU performance). HEVC is just that much harder. A fast decode HEVC cannot be done since CABAC is mandated. AVC can be setup to edit fast enough for most CPUs, but not HEVC. Even a fast decode AVC still requires a transcode.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@CourtneyBrown I refer you to what WhiteCrane and Norman wrote above me.

Otherwise, FXHOME almost never comments on new features before release, but Josh Davies did discuss import/export codecs in a recent YouTube livestream. Since you brought up licensing fees it won't surprise you to know cost is the major limiting factor in adding codec support to Hitfilm. I know the licensing fees for h.265 were lowered in 2016, but the licensing fees for h.265 are still much much higher than h.264. Chances are, if added, h.265 would be an add-on for Express and add significant cost to Pro for a codec that would need to be transcoded anyway for smooth performance. Since the internet sites that are the final destination for most Hitfimer's output still need h.264 it's a bit of a limited use codec as well. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment