Choppy video clip after exporting

I'm exporting a few video clips and one of them is very choppy when exporting and gets slow down a bit. I tried setting the frames per second to match and setting the level but  it still appears as choppy. All of the other video clips still appears fine for me.

Project Settings:
720p HD @ 30 FPS (1280x720)

Export Settings: (no caution indicators or signs)
Profile: High
Level: 4.2
Target Bitrate: 16.000 Mbps
Max. Bitrate: 16.000 Mbps

Choppy Clip Details:
1280x720 (720p)
Frame Rate: 30fps
Data rate: 557kbps
Total bitrate: 682kbps

Comments

• The "Choppy Clip" you list at the end: does that refer to one of the exported files that doesn't look like you think it should, or is that one of the source files you've brought into HitFilm?

It would help to know more of the gory details of the source material you're using.  If you don't have MediaInfo installed already, do that now.  Open it, drag one of your source clips into it, then change the view mode to Text.  Copy the report details you see and paste them into a comment here.

• It is one of the media or source file I bought into the video, @jsbarret

Here is the details I got from it.

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\dougl\Desktop\Artists 2017\INTERCOM - Decoy World (feat. Park Avenue) [Monstercat Release].mp4
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 19.0 MiB
    Duration : 3 min 50 s
    Overall bit rate : 691 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf56.19.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L3.1
    Format settings : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, RefFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 557 kb/s
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Variable
    Frame rate : 30.000 FPS
    Minimum frame rate : 15.000 FPS
    Maximum frame rate : 60.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.020
    Stream size : 15.3 MiB (81%)
    Color range : Limited
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 126 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
    Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 3.46 MiB (18%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Observations.

First, you probably need to transcode that clip before import to Hitfilm. It's variable frame rate VIDEO, but it's varying between 15 and 60. That's pretty massive. Your AUDIO shows as 43.006fps which is just odd. Your source file is all kinds of strange, and, while Hitfilm tries to correctly parse a VFR file it's obviously getting confused because it's being fed contradictory data.

If you're not familiar with transcoding, this video will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

Secondly, your outputting  variable frame rate with a target of 16mbps and a max of 16mbps. You really shouldn't set both values to the same number (if you're going to do that, you go CONSTANT). Variable bitrate should have the MAX set to 150% of target. For a target of 16, max should be 24.

Finally your source file is at an incredibly small bitrate. 691kbps Bear in mind the uncompressed bitrate of 1280x720/30fps video is 663mbps. Your source video is compressed at a ratio of almost 1000:1. Honestly, your original footage is so degraded you're going to have troubles with it, no matter what. Transcoding before import to Hitfilm is another pass (probably of a lossy codec), render from Hitfilm is another pass (mp4 is a lossy codec), and, if you upload to YouTube or Facebook it will be compressed again (with a lossy codec). I don't know what you're working on, but I suspect it's not going to look very good--and I'm hoping I'm wrong.

• Oooh, that's a steep low quality video. I'll try to work on getting higher video quality and improving the audio quality. And, also, thanks for the feedback. I'll give you an update on it.

• @Triem23 "Your AUDIO shows as 43.006fps which is just odd."

Don't worry about AAC (compressed) audio frames. They are a different thing. Audio has no frames per second like video.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@NormanPCN it's still a strange value. Obviously I could be wrong, but certain encoders to give control to the interleaving values for audio. But I defer to your superior knowledge. 

Either way that 15-60 vfr is likely confusing Hitfilm as it tries to parse that file and it is very highly compressed. But, something I forgot to add earlier...

@NoteStars if you have a completed edit, then transcode your source files, by right-clicking a file in the Media Panel and selecting "Relink" you can select your transcoded file. That swaps the original file with the transcoded version so you don't have to redi your entire edit. :) 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment