PC freezes, need hard restart

Time to time PC totally freeze (need hard restart) when video file is playing. This happenes in two minutes with HitFilm work. This happenes when new graphic drivers are installed or new windows updates. Then I re-installed drivers or HitFilm and seems it's ok. Other software (DaVinci resolve for example) plays/edits video ok.  

Intel Core i7-7700K
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
16 GB RAM
SSD M.2 disc (Western digital 250 GB) - HitFilm application, Windows 10 64bit Proffesional
Video data are located on (non SSD) disc

Comments

• HitFilm is known to be more picky about video files than other software.  Are you transcoding your footage before editing?  If not, I strongly recommend it.  I got crashes galore with non-transcoded footage for a long time after I discovered HitFilm.  Once @Triem23 turned me on to the benefits of transcoding, HitFilm almost never crashes.  Yes, it's extra work, but well worth it IMO.

If transcoding is new to you, watch this video by @Triem23 to learn the whys and hows.  Both Windows and Mac tools are covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqhl0mRuTng

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

To build off Jsbarret's post, how long/big are your files? If your source files are huge, two hour, 20 GB files, you should not only transcode, but break them into smaller segments. Generally a video file shouldn't go over about 4GB or so.

Think of it this way. Windows 10 uses 4GB or so of RAM for OS. Hitfilm itself uses a gig or so. RAM preview is probably using 6-8GB of RAM. That's leaving you 3-5GB for editing. So you can see where bringing in a 20GB file would make your computer unhappy. 

• And here's the really bizarre thing.  Transcoding (at least in my case) often produces files that are larger than the original, but they'll still work more smoothly in HitFilm, even if the total size of all files is greater than your available RAM, because (and correct me if I'm wrong) HitFilm doesn't load the full files into memory at once, but decodes what it needs on the fly.  One of the first times I transcoded and split a long file for a tutorial project, I ended up with four or five files that were 3-5GB each.  I've only got 8GB of RAM, but editing in HitFilm was smoother than ever before, there was no noticeable lag despite the fact that I was working with probably 20GB of video, and I didn't have a single crash.

@jsbarrett,

"Transcoding (at least in my case) often produces files that are larger than the original, but they'll still work more smoothly in HitFilm..."

Review 8:34 of the above video. Larger files have less compression, hence less CPU to decode. Think of it this way. Uncompressed 29.97/30 1080p is about 1.5 gigabits per second. A 150mb/s codec (rough estimate, but Pro Res, DNxHD and Cineform are have something near that bitrate). 10:1 compression. DSLR /MFT footage tends to be 28-35mb. Call it 30 to make the math simple. 50:1 compression. Some crap screen capture at 5mbps--or less!--becomes at least 300:1.

So, you can see how it's trading file size for CPU time weighed against an input pipeline data capacity. 

An SSD should be able to handle three to four streams. If it's a dedicated media drive. 

• edited January 15

@Triem23 I was making the larger-file point more for the OP.  And while my wording (upon further review) might've made it appear that I was surprised by the larger files after transcoding, I'm really not. The main point I was trying to make was that despite the files being possibly larger than available RAM, HitFilm can still work with them just fine.

EDIT: in other words, despite my proclivity to hyper edit forum posts, I still come out sounding like an idiot. :P

@jsbarrett Meh, the OP needs the information. I still would have done the breakdown. :)

• Thank you for your experiences with HitFilm work. I will try and let you know. Thank you.

• @Triem23 ; @Jsbarrett

I may be way off but, Substance Designer  insists that the TDRdelay  be long enough to avoid a crash due to long computations.   I though after upgrading to a 1070 it would not be required but it seems that to Substance it doesn't matter what card you have.   I know that Hitfilm and Substance designer are two different beasts, but they both rely heavily on the GPU.

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/GPU+drivers+crash+with+long+computations

• TDRdelay is a Windows-only thing.  I'm on a Mac, and while GPU issues could very well still crop up on my system, Apple only provides bare-bones access to graphics settings.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment