How to make text move smooth?

I have made a video with text moving over the screen from below and up. When watching the finished video the text is very annoying to watch as it moves in small jumps and so becomes blurry. When I exported I used the preset Facebook 720 p HD. What is the problem here, what can I do?

Very thank full for help!

Comments

• Can you show a small clip as an example, as you've described two mutually exclusive results? It's generally either jumpy or blurry (if Motion Blur is turned on).

• edited January 10

Well if I pause the video it is sharp. I meant that the jumps makes the text appear as if it is blurry but it is not then. There is not a constant flow in the movement.

• Might be dependent on framerate and speed of the text. The slower it is the smoother it will look.

Maybe turn on Motion Blur for the text, then it will definitely be blurry until it stops moving. Works best for thing that fly on and stop, not so good for scrolling screens of credits. A clip would still help to see what it is you don't like.

• OK I haven't uploaded the video anywhere as it looks bad. How do you mean that i should post it or send it? I dont know anything about framerate and the settings. I dont change any of that I just press OK when the program asks me if I should change the settings in accordance with the first video I ad. 

• A small clip of the specific part posted to YouTube as an Unlisted video and the link posted here would be enough. Only needs to be a few seconds long if your problem is obvious. 

•  Here it is https://youtu.be/lzDzVwibu9g . But now I did put the finalised film back in the program to cut it and made a new version so this one is very low resolution. But you can see the jumpynes especially in the begging when the text comes.

• But when I look at it on different screens it looks different. Maybe I should not have a line surrounding the letters. 

• @GrasrotsTV The text outline should stay, as that helps it to be more readable against the light background.  I think that the suggestion from @Palacono to turn on motion blur for the text layer is probably what you want.

What you're seeing right now is actually a very fast stutter as the crisp, clean text jumps from one position to the next repeatedly at 30 frames per second (guessing your frame rate).  However, it's moving just fast enough for our eyes to interpret all of those micro-moves between frames as a pseudo-blur, but it definitely feels a bit jarring.

Activating motion blur on the text layer will help reduce this micro-jitter-blur feeling, and may make the text in motion feel more smooth, though pausing the video will reveal that the text is actually blurred on every frame.  That's just the trade-off you have to balance when working with fast-moving objects in video.

If you don't want real blur on the text but you still want it to feel smooth, you've got a couple options.  One is to scroll the text more slowly, which might be a good idea anyway because that's a LOT of text going by in a relatively short time span.  Another is to export the video at a higher frame rate, like 60fps.  Either option will shorten the distance the text moves between frames, reducing the feeling of blur.

•  Thank you! I convert the files with Hand Break and I see now that the settings there is sett at 30 fps. So I guess I cant change the frame rate when I export from Hitfilm. I am going to publish on facebook and I just use de pre settings for facebook.

Next time I can just choose 60 fps when converting in Hand Break I guess.

• @GrasrotsTV You can export at higher frame rates, but you'll probably need to make a custom export profile to do so.  Review this for more on export options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvDEcaXjSN0

• For smoothness your timeline will need to be at a higher rate with the speed of that text movement. Just exporting at a higher rate is probably not going to do it. Resampling all your input media to a higher rate is probably overkill and will make editing performance worse.

Ultimately the best thing to not try to do something that fundamentally does not work. i.e. Scroll at certain speeds at certain frame rates. If banging your head against the wall hurts, you can pad the wall and/or wear a helmet to work around that. Or you can just not bang your head against the wall in the first place.

If you need that much info to display in a short period of time, then maybe just draw one page of text at a time. No scrolling. The total amount of time any given line is visible on screen can be exactly the same.

If you must scroll then motion blur is your option. 

With video cameras we set the shutter speed such that we naturally get motion blur to remove/smooth judder due to frame rate issues. With generated graphics you have to add it.

• edited January 10

I actually wrote that Motion Blur probably wasn't so good for scrolling credits. :)

I'm also going to contradict js again: change the colour of the text outline to be something less contrasting, such as a mid-grey rather than black. Then any juddering won't be as noticeable, but the text will still be readable.

Also, make the speed of the text move the same number of pixels per frame. So, for example if it is moving at 4 pixels per frame, it will move 16 pixels in 4 frames. However, if it is moving 17 pixels in 4 frames, you'll either get it going 4,4,4,5 - which you'll see as it jerking - or the text is drawn in a slightly different way as it tries to do 4.25,4.25,4.25,4.25 pixels each line and then you'll see it shimmering, or juddering, or both.

So, depending on how you are making the text move up, divide the number of pixels it is moving by the number of frames and try and get a whole number of pixels per frame by adjusting the speed.

• Thank you all! So I can try different ways to solve this then and see what works. It makes sense that the scarp contrast between black and white can be e problem. But its seams very complicated to set the movement so that it is even with the number of frames per second. Is there a system for how to control that? I have a composit shot that has a duration of 9 seconds and I change the position of the text from one position to the other.

• @Palacono "I'm also going to contradict js again."  The OP was thinking about removing the outline.  I said keep it.  You said keep it but change the color.  What you suggested wasn't a contradiction, just a variation, and a good one.

As for the pixel calculation thing, that's waaaaay overthinking this issue.  Unless text is moving really slowly, minor differences in how it's drawn from frame to frame aren't going to be discernible.

• A quick Google shows that 3-5 pixels per frame, depending on resolution, is a common target for smooth scrolling text. Whole numbers. Not fractional.

• edited January 11

Calculate the number of frames in 9 seconds by multiplying it by the framerate; although if 29.97 then probably call it 30. Or, Right Mouse click on the time above the layers and select frames. Then when you know the frames, see how far you moved in pixels by subtracting the start from the end Y Transform values.

You'll then be able to slide the end keyframe to adjust the number of frames and you could perhaps fade it out if it is much shorter. If it needs to be longer (it does seem to be moving quite fast, so a large number of pixels per frame ) you'll need to lengthen the comp. Right Mouse click> Properties on the comp in the media bin and extend the time.

@jsbarrett true, it just felt bad to say something different to what you'd said twice in one post ( and I'm going to add another variation in this one)  :) As for differences in text drawing: yes, it's more noticeable when very slow, but The (normal, not Generated) text rasterising is always a bit lumpy. Putting oversized text in a separate comp, then scaling it down works best for that, or adding a tiny bit (0.5) of blur can help, but didn't want to (further) overcomplicate what the OP can try. ;)

Sign in to comment