How to remove or smooth Sawtooth/Step artifact on 3D Planes or Shapes

Hey everyone,

Got a question.

Does anyone know how to reduce or smooth out the jagged edge artifact you get on 3D layers when they are rotated on any axis.

https://youtu.be/HRLzwvtvag0

As you can see, as the 3D vertical plane is close to the ground plane (not actually intersecting) it creates a shadow on the ground plane as well as this jagged appearance. Now the playback settings are set to final and antialiased. The video resolution is 1920 x 1080.

The vertical 3D rectangle plane has a higher resolution of 4800 x 4300. It and the ground plane also have Cast Ambient Occlusion and Shadows.

I'm not sure if it has something to do with high resolution of the 3D vertical plane or way it is rendered at the rotated angle. 

Any thoughts?

Thanks! 

Comments

• @theBrick The video link isn't working.  Instead of making your own hyperlink via text, just put the YouTube URL onto a blank line by itself, and the forum will automatically embed the video (only visible after you're done editing).

• Very helpful. Thanks.

• Did you make the video private?  It says it's unavailable.  You can set it to Unlisted if you don't want it to show on your channel, but Private prevents anyone from seeing it unless they've been specifically invited.

• Try it now. So Sorry.

• edited January 10

That looks like a shadow artifact to me.  Depth map shadows are a pain because they use cheats to calculate shadows.  One of the things they have to calculate is whether or not Surface A is in front of or behind Surface B.  If the two surfaces are very close together — as you said, "the 3D vertical plane is close to the ground plane (not actually intersecting)" — it can sometimes fail.  I'm willing to bet that if you moved the plane farther off the ground, it wouldn't have that shadowing issue.

Another way to address it is to turn off the Receive Shadows option in that vertical plane's material properties (assuming you don't have anything else in the scene that would cast shadows onto it). 

Sign in to comment