When can we expect

When can we expect the new updates for hitfilm pro and action pro?

Comments

• As they’re ready.

• @inScapeDigital thanks for the obvious, maybe I should be more specific...do the updates have a specific update cycle for example monthly,every three weeks,etc...

• As far as I know, no. @DannyDev might know more.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited December 2017

Inscape has really given the besr answer. Hitfilm's 3, 4 and 2017 all had multiple updates--but not actually the same number. Technically, Hitfilm Pro 2017 had 8 updates, but the original Update 7 was recalled because it introduced a bug. The replacement Update 7 fixed the introdiced bug and actually cleaned up a couple of other things as well.

That said, one of the reasons for the new pricing is to change the upgrade cycle slightly to release major features mid-year, rather than wait for the next "full" version. Still, one would reasonably expect 9 more updates in the next 11 and a half months. Updates will be held until a sizeable number of fixes and features are added (we won't get a Feb 12 version and a Feb 25 version...).

Given a general slowdown in most companies for December, best guess for the next Hitfilm update is probably mid-January, but I stress that's a guess, as I don't work for the company. 

And, FXHOME never officially comments on official releases until they drop. No one is going say now "oh, Jan. 9," just in case something happens to delay that until Jan 15.

• DannyDevDannyDev Staff
    edited December 2017

Sorry I can't comment on when updates will be released for the reasons Triem has already given.

• I've been playing around with HitFilm Express for a few days now, have seen many of the tutorials and am very impressed, so far, with its ease of use. I know that this question will have been asked many times before, but I know not what the answer is ... is FXHome working on the ability to import psd files? Timescale?  Just an '-ish' will do me. When you do that you will have at least one new customer for the full PRO version. Just one more step in getting away from Adobe.

• @GKB this is a standard answer but FXHOME never officially comments on official releases until they drop. 

• @GKB @Andersen01498 this actually was briefly touched on in the last Hitfilm live Q&A. 

The primary reasons Hitfilm doesn't support other formats are cost-based. PSD is a proprietary commercial format. Adobe turns a bit of a blind eye to free software like GIMP and KRITA.

Both also have limited functionality (they won't bring in Layer Styles and Smart Objects, and text is rasterized on input). Some software that imports PSD really only read the "flattened" copy appended in the PSD file (so, no layers at all). 

Hitfilm is a commercial product and I suspect the license fees for PSD for a *direct competitor*would be prohibitive. 

Additionally there are challenges such as, well, support for things like Layer Styles.

I'd love PSD support but don't see it happening anytime soon. 

• Doesn't TIFF support layers as well and is open?

• Thanks for that info. I didn't actually expect an answer until sometime after Christmas as I thought you would all be at the office party.

As for importing layered tiffs, I did try to do that but it didn't import as layers, just a flattened image ... unless I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for your efforts with this excellent piece of software

•  Just took the plunge and downloaded the PRO version to create a title for a presentation I'll be making in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to using HitFilm.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment