Time Reverse Optimization?

I use the Time Reverse effect a lot, but Hitfilm take a very long time to render it. I just wonder if that's anything you know the Hitfilm team is aware of  and potentially considering optimizing it, or if there's nothing to do about it?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited December 2017

Chances are there's little to be done here. Time Reversal is actually a fairly complex and resource intensive effect, especially with certain media types like h.264/mp4/AVCHD. I'm not doing the technical reasons at the time, or I'll be typing this on my phone for the next 20 min. Suffice to say there are a few reasons why this effect probably won't be re-optimized anytime soon. It's more difficult than you might think and probably very low priority to consider.

Currently the best way to improve performance of a time reversed clip is to right-click it, convert to a Composite Shot (and move effects into the new Comp when you do) then proxy this Comp. 

• The only real optimization, and realistically the best optimization, that can be done for time reverse is to transcode your media to an All-I frame format. Line Cineform, DNxHD/HR or Prores.

As stated in another post, LongGOP media is going to have performance issues when backing up frames via an effect in the effects chain.

• Ok, thanks so much!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment