HitFilm for Linux (Ubuntu mostly)

13»

Comments

• ah ok. I see what you mean

• Would you work with a node-based package that approaches the power inherent in HitFilm, save for the editing features?

Because blackmagic design announced earlier this week that they've dropped Fusion 8.2 for Linux. Running it on my Linux system now.

• Yeah, I've been checking out the Blackmagic software for a while. Davinci Resolve is amazing and could replace Premiere for me.

But Fusion is still not there as a After Effects replacement. I have a decade and half of experience as a After Effect user. And this experience translate almost perfectly to HitFilm, but not to node-based systems. 

I just think nodes are not as fast as layers to work with for most cases if you're a solo artist or have a small crew. IT IS better if you're working with a big team, sharing files, and everyone needs to understand your thinking process behind the scene (the node flow is self-explanatory). 

I do use nodes a lot in Cinema 4D, with their node-based script language (Xpresso). But for compositing, I like layers. It's more intuitive. It replicates the old Multi Planar Machines that were used by Disney, ILM and so many others for animation and VFX before the advent of digital tools. 

I hope Blackmagic will do to Fusion what they did to DaVinci resolve: include a layer-based system (like AE e HiFilm). Resolve was just a color-grading software when Blackmagic bought it. Then they created a whole Editing NLE on top of that. 

• Wow!

" It replicates the old Multi Planar Machines that were used by Disney, ILM and so many others for animation and VFX before the advent of digital tools. "

Do you know how many hollywood movies has used and still using softwares like Fusion and Nuke for compositing?

I am sure you don't.

just google it.

• CNKCNK
    edited September 2016

@AbhaySharma - MarcioBR was talking about the transparent sheet of papers and camera, very analog way of doing animation back in the day. nobody uses that technique today, although multiplanar is still around, just now in HitFilm (and After Effects..). That doesn't mean that node based effects are worse than layer based effects, and vice versa. And, don't forget that the reason there are 'standards' out there, is because greedy companies like Adobe basically killed their competition, they're huge. The fact that HitFilm (and others) are even able to compete is mind blowing, just by comparing team sizes alone...

Stay positive, no need to compare or bash someone else for having an opinion which you don't agree with.

• MarcioBR - sorry! misunderstood it and thanks @ CNK

• Just wanted to add another interested person in a Linux version of HitFilm (got sent here from a tweet reply).

Not tried running it via WINE so that might be an option for now (what I do is very basic so if it's a little slower it wouldn't be an issue).

• Hey y'all. Here in 2017, and there are STILL people interested in HitFilm on Linux. There are several good video editing tools available for Linux, but none of them come close to HitFilm (in terms of ease-of-use, anyway.) Speaking from personal experience, if HitFilm were to come to Linux, that would be a good incentive for people to get onboard the HitFilm train. I know that as soon as Lightworks came to Linux there was a HUGE wave of support. Of course, these are just my two cents, but two cents are better than no cents!

• I am a long time Linux user. Since the 90`s when you needed a calculator handy to install the first versions. 

The majority of the worlds computing now runs on some kinda nix or another. Most of your super computers are nix based and most of your household devices are the same.

Android is Nix, Mac based its kernel on bsd, The linux desktop is mature enough to run hitfilm4. If you can compile binaries for mac its not rocket science to be able to make a linux binary (just make it for ubuntu! Keep it simple, stupid).

At the very least its an awesome and cheap PR oppertunity. Steam got a ton of PR mileage when they went Linux and theyre capitalizing on it with their hardware/software combos. 

You will make headlines on sites like Reddit and Slashdot, thousands of Youtube videos will be made of your product, by your product.

Think of all the advantages for the creators. The idea of using my awesome hardware to only run linux and your software.... its going to be so quick and so much more stable. 

I hate booting into windows, as someone familiar with infosec, I crap myself, I lose control of the security of my environment and while the risk is small, I just dont like that security uncertainty.

Ill make you this promise, the day you release a native linux client is the day I will purchase Hitfilm Pro. Pinky promise.

• I havent read all of this thread but, i think having hitfilm for ubuntu would be wonders since there isnt a real good VFX stuff, openshot is just really for putting stuff together and KDen is like a Openshot clone but with like a lil bit more features, honestly  a real VFX app would be awesome!

• edited March 6

gidoBOSSftw5731 Kdenlive is much more than openshot.

For VFX in linux, Blender has many VFX features and good node compositor. Fusion 8 from blackmagic and Natron are also good compositors.  DaVinci Resolve is now on linux as well. For big time expensive stuff, Nuke is on linux as well.  I think the thing HitFilm would add to Linux's ecosystem is a good layer-based solution for quick and dirty projects (Like AE).  I think Blender will actually include better options for this in the future though.  Learning Blender well is a very smart thing to do, even if you use a lot of other software as well.

Edit: Oh yeah,  forgot to mention, I would buy HitFilm if there was a linux version, and I'll never use or buy it otherwise. I know that doesn't mean much, but here's a +1 from me.

• What about using a program  called wine to run windows programs on Ubuntu, if you don't understand what I am talking about google how to run windows programs on Ubuntu and the wine program should show up

@FilmWorld @Triem23 @SimonKJones @Stargazer54 @Aladdin4d

• @njosey4740

Basically, Wine only works for 32-bit programmes, and HitFilm is only available as a 64-bit programme. So it doesn't work.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator

Well . . . . Wine is an emulator that allows you to run a Windows OS under Linux.  https://betanews.com/2017/01/25/wine-2-windows-linux-macos/

If you want to take that route you might be better served to run VMware Player under Linux and do the same thing.  http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation.html#compare

Here's the link to get VMware workstation for Linux: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0

But in either case, the performance hit  would IMHO be substantial since HF relies heavily on the GPU to perform.  So its doubtful whether HF running under an emulated environment would be usable.

But it would be an interesting experiment if someone wants to take up the challenge. :)

•  @Stargazer54 actually, Wine Is Not an Emulator (or WINE for short ) it's a compatibility layer

@JMcAlister I stand corrected, then.  Still wonder if performance metrics would suffice to run HF. 

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Stargazer54 HitFilm can run in a VM instance. A user here even got it working as a cloud app using Amazon Web Services a while back. You do need to get the GPU and driver sorted out but it can be done without too much of a performance hit. 

This blog post covers setting setting up a gaming VM on AWS and worked as a guide for the user that got HitFilm running on one. 

https://lg.io/2015/07/05/revised-and-much-faster-run-your-own-highend-cloud-gaming-service-on-ec2.html

And the forum post where he confirmed he got it working.

https://hitfilm.com/forum/discussion/41471/run-hitfilm-express-on-a-cloud-vm

I can also say I got it up and running myself. I never did anything with it mind you, but it did start ;)

The basics should work for pretty much any VM installation of HitFilm.

@Aladdin4d ; Good memory!  I had forgotten about that.

• edited March 26

@Stargazer54 "Still wonder if performance metrics would suffice to run HF."

That, I do not know.

I've only used Wine a couple of times, and never with anything particularly GPU-intensive.

• @Aladdin4d I will look into that.

• Seems like I was mistaken when I stated

"Wine only works for 32-bit programmes"

I have tried it with some 64-bit programmes, it does work.

BUT:

a) The version of Wine in the Ubuntu package repositories (and thus also the Linux Mint repositories) is outdated, so it is necessary to use the one from WineHQ

b) Building 64-bit Wine in Ubuntu is... not fun.

[So instead of Ubuntu or Mint I instead used a clean install of Fedora, which seemed to have the most recent Wine in its repositories]

c) It's kinda buggy.

d) HitFilm itself doesn't work in Wine. (I get the good old "HitFilm has encountered a problem and needs to exit" error when I try to open HFP2017 . Oh well. Back to dual-booting... or in my case, triple-booting...)

• Personally I'll be looking forward to seeing HitFilm go to Linux. I had several stations run Windows that I totally switched to Linux after Microsoft's "patchocalypse" this past year that clogged our networks and drives.

The use of resources on Linux are so low that some of our CPU fans don't even start and the temp is still around 34 degrees Celsius.

As per my background (as I haven't introduced myself), goes over 24 years in VFX, including supervisor for quite a good amount of years, mostly in TV commercials, series and later on in some films. Nowadays, I took the jump into production (the past ~3 years), mostly in setting up the projects.

I honestly love HitFilm and look @ every opportunity to get my hands on it. But, Windows is a big no-no for both me and the company I founded. Mac is too. At the current offices, everything runs on Linux and it's a total breeze (automated backups, cloud etc).

Anyway, if it happens, it happens. But you guys do have a great product that made me think twice of touching Adobe's products.

• yeah, I have my fingers crossed too, even with a little in terms of hope. I've tried running in Wine and VMWare with no luck. The only option left I see is full pcie passthrough...

So while I enjoy Hitfilm so much I left at version 3 Pro as my main workstation is Linux based. For the time being my needs are served with BlackMagic Fusion and Lightworks - but that's far from ideal setup.

All in all native Linux version would be awesome. In terms of target platforms I think it should be tested against Ubuntu / RHEL / SUSE (for professional use enterprise grade systems are nice to see). But heck even if a single distro would be targeted linux users will find a way ;) . On top of that it shouldn't be a big issue , especially with new packaging formats like appimage.

• Someone got Ignite Express working on Linux. Take a look at this:

http://forum.natron.fr/t/hitfilm-ignite-on-linux/1748

• Someone got Ignite Express working on Linux. Take a look at this:

http://forum.natron.fr/t/hitfilm-ignite-on-linux/1748

• I managed to get HitFilm working in Wine.

It's a bit buggy, but it mostly works.

I'll post the details in a new thread

• Davinci put their industry standard Resolve and Fusion on Linux so there is obviously some demand now for an NLE/VFX application a Linux system. I'd wager they came to that conclusion or they wouldn't have ported.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@Langrave You have some things backwards there. Resolve was released as a color grading suite on Linux first using proprietary hardware cards, then ported to Mac and finally Windows in 2012. Its NLE abilities are pretty recent.

http://www.careydissmore.com/?cat=4&paged=2

Fusion started out as an in-house DOS based system. Eyeon was formed to commercialize it and the first public release was Windows based. The first Linux version was released in 2006. When they decided to make it multi-platform, they had this whole "universal platform initiative" model for development. The core was written so it would execute on any x86 system regardless of the host OS and they developed a custom version of WINE to handle the GUI and as a compatibility layer for some things. This made it so the user experience was identical across systems and you could run a mixed environment without breaking anything. It even allowed the use of third party Windows plugins with a Linux render farm.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment