Hitfilm Pro does not load OFX plugins

Hi, I bought the version 6 but I noticed that Hitfilm does not work as an host for all ofx plugin, I downloaded the Natron  package and moved the bundle folder to the OFX and Hitfilm ones, while Resolve shows these plugins correctly, hitfilm won't, any Idea?

Comments

• I Have the same problem. Hifilm only open when holding shift (bypassing the Plugins).

• Any idea from the staff members?

• @whakan are you on Windows or on Mac? If I copy the Natron folder from Natron-2.3.3\Plugins\OFX to C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins\ then HitFilm tries to load those plugins.

Those plugins however make HitFilm crash and you have to try to launch HitFilm multiple times for it to blacklist all non working plugins. Eventually HitFilm starts without error and you are left with the plugins that do not crash on startup (I got 7 of them to work on my machine, they are in Color > Transform and Keyer > MatteMonitor as well as somewhere else, I couldn't find them).

I haven't investigated why these plugins crash but the project page on GitHub states that these plugins are developed for Natron so even though they are OpenFX plugins they may not be intended to work in other hosts?

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

@CedricBonnier I can confirm your results but I can also say most of the Natron plugins worked in previous versions of HitFilm. Natron's import plugins never worked of course but the rest did.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Interface changes might be the issue? Open FX itself is "generic," but specific coding is needed for host interfaces/differences . I use Vegas as my comparison--position 0,0 is center-screen in Hitfilm, but lower left corner in Vegas. 

• I think I remember seeing somewhere that Natron has its own fork of OpenFX, so maybe they are built to slightly different specifications?

•  My installation does not load anything, I tried also to put the budles folders into the hitfilm one but no chasnges. Did you maneged to find the LensDistortion ofx? I'm interested in it because it let me chose to affect only one RGB channel while to do so with hitfilm itself I need a composite shot

• @Aladdin4d Ah, I've never used any Natron plugins before but maybe it requires more investigation if it used to work but broke in HF6.

@JMcAllister Lots of Hosts have custom OFX extensions. See in HF install folder/OFX/include/ofxHitFilmExtensions.h for HitFilm's. This is intended for OFX plugin developers though so it's probably not muggle friendly. You have been warned :D

@whakan Are the BCC and mocha HitFilm plugins loading correctly? How many items do you have written at the bottom right of the Effects panel?

HitFilm does not prevent OFX plugins to load as long as your copy of HitFilm is activated (not in demo mode) and the plugin is not blacklisted (following a crash on startup).

• edited December 4

@CedricBonnier Yes mocha and BCC are correctly loaded and working, the label says 394 items

I would say that this number includes some presets I made

I managed to load some of these plugin but not the Lens Distortion ofx

I tried to install the Filmconvert ofx trial but hitfilm does not load it

• @whakan "Are the BCC and mocha HitFilm plugins loading correctly? How many items do you have written at the bottom right of the Effects panel?HitFilm does not prevent OFX plugins to load as long as your copy of HitFilm is activated (not in demo mode) and the plugin is not blacklisted (following a crash on startup)."

My copy is activated . you mind sharing how to remove the plugin from the blacklist?

@CedricBonnier "Yes mocha and BCC are correctly loaded and working, the label says 394 items."

Did you fix your problem? 

Thank you.

• @Jfrog BCC and mocha were always loaded, anyways yes, partially, some of them were loaded but just 4/5 all the others has been skipped, just try to put the ofx bundle folder into the C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Hitfilm directory, But I'm not able to load the entire bundle catalogue or to remove from blacklist any of them.

I also tried to install the OFX version of Filmconvert but hitfilm does not load it.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

I'm going to repeat part of my last post in bold italics because it's very important to this thread.

Open FX itself is "generic," but specific coding is needed for host interfaces/differences . 

From there we can speculate that (in bold/italics)... 

Unless a third party OFX plugin is specifically labeled as accepting Hitfilm as a host, you can/should NOT assume it will work. And, if it doesn't, it's not Hitfilm's fault. 

Which means (in bold italics)... 

A "Hitfilm Compatible" OFX plug in failing to load into Hitfilm must be reported to the plug in maker. Hitfilm's developers ain't responsible for someone else code. Yes, report here, in case there is a glitch at the Hitfilm end, but understand now two companies need to check things, and the third party developers probably don't care about Hitfilm as much as the Hitfilm team. 

So, I have personally contacted Boris and asked them if BCC is Hitfilm compliant. Other than 3D Unit (bundled in Pro) BCC is NOT Hitfilm compliant according to Boris, and I cannot expect any other Boris unit to work... Too bad for Boris, because, until BCC works in Hitfilm, I'll stay on BCC8. 

With Natron, Filmconvert, etc you need to check with them to see if they list Hitfilm as a host. If not, then it sure as hell isn't Hitfilm's fault if Hitfilm can't load a non-Hitfilm-compatible plug in. Period. 

• @Jfrog Remove everything in "C:\ProgramData\FXHOME\HitFilm Pro\ofxPluginCache" to clear the OFX plugins blacklist. It contains other data as well so HitFilm will be slightly slower to start than usual.

• @whakan Thank you for the info.

@CedriBonnier Strange.. I don't see any "ofxPluginCache" in "C:\ProgramData\FXHOME\HitFilm Pro\ofxPluginCache"

Thank you.

• "Remove everything in "C:\ProgramData\FXHOME\HitFilm Pro\ofxPluginCache" to clear the OFX plugins blacklist"

@CedricBonnier  Martin at BorisFX suggested the same solution you suggested, and it worked!  As a newbie PC owner, I was not aware that the "ProgramData" folder was hidden in my explorer settings. MochaVR is now running great in Hitfilm 6.

So thanks to both of you and others that helped me solved this problem. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment