Why must we uninstall existing copies of HFP before installation?

The instructions on this page  contradict what I've read in the forums.

https://hitfilm.com/software-install/hitfilm-pro

"Step 1: Uninstall any existing copies --   Firstly, uninstall any existing copies of HitFilm Pro that you already have on your computer."

I've read in several places and I believe it's widely understood that since all versions of HF are installed in separate folders, there is no need to uninstall -- especially in the case where someone might need to go back and update legacy files.

Why does the above page [linked] say otherwise?

Comments

• Not sure why, I can guess, it is good practice for any company to want old software out of the way in case of old drivers or such issues. However that said, I have been running many versions on my Win7 machine fine, including the latest build.

It might be one of these things that if you do run into serious issues support might ask if you removed older versions just to ensure there is no clash of versions on your OS.

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

In this case it means uninstall any previous release of this version. HitFilm Pro here isn't being used generically it's referring specifically to the newest HitFilm Pro v6. So when an new update comes along, uninstall HitFilm Pro v6 before installing the updated release. HitFilm 2 Ultimate, 3 Pro, 4 Pro and Pro 2017 remain unaffected.

• >  In this case it means uninstall any previous release of this version. HitFilm Pro here isn't being used generically it's referring specifically to the newest HitFilm Pro v6. 

Can you pass a message to the staff that updates the website?   The information you posted should be included on the page to avoid confusion.

https://hitfilm.com/software-install/hitfilm-pro

"Step 1: Uninstall any existing copies --   Firstly, uninstall any existing copies of HitFilm Pro that you already have on your computer."

"Uninstall" means uninstall. There's no other way to read it.

• @Davlon This step can be skipped most of the time. When a new version comes out you can just install on top. If you want to downgrade to a previous version however you need to uninstall first.

I think this advice to always uninstall first was put there to have easy steps working 100% of the time whilst not being too wordy. I'll pass the message on.

• As others have said the installation instructions are generic and designed to ensure the process always works - in practice that step doesn't usually matter.

We've previously gotten away with it because the version number has been in the program name, but you're right it's misleading now. Will see if there's a better way we can put that.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment