Pixelated Effect - Hitfilm Express

Hello there,

how do you make a pixelated effect in Hitfilm Express? I am trying to make a video look like a old video game or mario or something of that sort. 

Comments

• @LDYFilming ; You might try using the Mosaic effect which is under the Distort folder.  Turn the setting down to 100 on the both Horiz & Vert and then tweak them from there to get a look like you want. I tried this in 4 Express so it should be there in 2017 Express as well.

• I would cheat and use the "Witness Protection Effect." That's not what it's for, but if you adjusted the controls, you could get it to cover the whole screen and pretty much make it look like any type of pixelization you wanted. You can even key frame it to change over time.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@HitfilmSensei ack, Witness Protection! I keep wanting to call it Mosaic, then it's not Mosaic, so I get confused and forget what Hitfilm calls it! 

• @Triem23 Mosaic? I never used Mosaic before. I am so glad you're here! I learn something everyday. Thanks!

@HitfilmSensei Hitfilm doesn't have that. Witness Protection serves the same function with a built-in mask. 

• @Triem23 Actually, HitFilm does have Mosaic. When you mentioned it, I went right in and looked it up, put it on, and it works great!

• Okay, great! Thanks for the help. I tried it out and it works! Thank you!

edited December 3

Really? Well, I've been up for 36 hours at this point, about 21 of those in transit, so I'm brain fried. Dinner with Godfather, Aunt, Dad, Wife and Cousins, then I can pass out!

Dammit, yesterday or the day before I told someone with the same question he couldn't do it in Hitfilm! I hate giving wrong advice and probably shouldn't answer forum questions until I get a full night's sleep. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment