After The Lens

Here's a film I finished this summer, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwmaDAc7wFs&t=15s

Comments

• @Behind_the_Lens ; Pretty well put together, and I really liked that you put the subtitles in for all of us one language peeps.  There is one thing that sort of bothered me and this is solely my impression not in any way expert advice:  When the boy first gets on the train and speaks with the girl when she goes to leave the abrupt cut there to me looks like a mistake until you do it again on the boy by himself and then I realized it was to so a progression of time.  I think I might have used a couple of dissolves or wipes there to soften the abruptness of the cut and still show time.  Of course there's the always used clock wipe but that comes off too heavy-handed really...in my opinion.  But sometimes you got to use it.  I loved the end credits and found myself wondering how the heck you filmed the tracks and tunnel.

• Thanks tddavis! To be honest, I totally didn't even think of adding in a wipe/ dissolve.  But agreed, the clock got a little heavy-handed (btw, that boy is me).Thanks again. (I haven't checked this thread in a while

• ... Since I just got back on this thread since.. a while, I thought I'd put this up as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdEVTKHvnzI

• Also, this is just a general link to my YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrCSdIugEwcjUs6HAXlqczw

• edited November 26

@Behind_The_Lens ; Wow!  That's you?  My estimation of the skill you showed just went up 10 times. An unbelievablely slick production for someone your age.   I can only wish to achieve that level of filmmaking.  

• Quite a trip!  The video was great, though there were a few spots where the cuts were so quick I couldn't even register what I was looking at for some shots.  If the music were quicker I could see such quick cuts working a little better (maybe), but most of your music is pretty laid back, so the rapid-fire cuts feel very jarring.

Remember that you're creating a mood for your audience, and that's influenced by both picture and sound.  When the sound sets one mood but the picture (content, transitions, etc) sets a different one, it feels odd.  Sometimes you might want that odd feeling, but more often than not you want all elements to hit the same mood so that the piece feels cohesive.

Oh, and like @tddavis I'm quite impressed with what you're putting together at your age.  Keep it up!

• I also thought it was great. :) I'd usually get pretty bored by someone else's holiday video, but watched it all and enjoyed it too. 

I agree that quite a lot of the cuts were too short. I think you had an aerial shot that was less than a second long. I'd happily have watched them if they were twice as long or more. When they are that short, unless the focus is in the same place for each shot - centre is easiest - then just as you understand what you're looking at in shot A ( maybe left of centre?), it changes and you're looking in the wrong place for shot B ( right of centre?) and while you're adjusting, that's gone and you're now on shot C. Less eyeball effort on a small screen, but confusing on a larger one, or a TV. ;)

• I liked the easter egg in Zhan @ 3:58 where the ladies's tote bag says Kushner Studios.

• What an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing. The shots were great along with the variety of styles you captured them in. The background music you picked seemed to fit perfectly. And...the food looked amazing!

Sign in to comment