Better Text support in Hitfilm Pro. Yay!

It took me a while to get my head around it, but the Generate Text Effect - as well as working in the Editor - of course, also works in a Composite shot.

So, create a Black Plane, drop Demult on it to make it transparent, then the Generate>Text Effect and have much improved text rendering, which can be manipulated in the usual ways.

Only caveat I can find is: whereas the Normal old text will redraw the letters at the appropriate size when you scale the Text Layer, so they're at the best quality for the size; once they are drawn on the Plane with the new method, the size is set. Which makes sense, really.

So, if you increase the scale of the Plane, you'll start to see jaggies in the letters, so don't do that; increase /decrease the size of the font itself if you want it to change and it'll be redrawn at the new size and the best quality.

The results are much improved when used with 3D Extrusion too.

Comments

• Yes the transform group execution order is different for Text layers and media/plane layers. Its first in text (before raster) and last in media/plane. Dependending on what you are after you now have two options.

I think the new geometry group just might be literally that. OpenGL geometry modifications. like Vertex shaders. The old 3D extrude was a 2D raster operation (IMO).

So text is a 2D vector glyph. The old 3D extrude would rasterize the vector glyphs and then do the 3D extrude. If the new is geometry then the 2D glyph is extruded in geometry and then rasterized after all geometry operations are done.

One question remains is if there will be texturing features in the future. Something to map onto this "geometry". Things like front, back, side textures and such. We may only be seeing the first stage of a greater vision.

• @Palacono

It took me a while to get my head around it, but the Generate Text Effect - as well as working in the Editor - of course, also works in a Composite shot.
    Awesome right?

So, create a Black Plane, drop Demult on it to make it transparent, then the Generate>Text Effect and have much improved text rendering, which can be manipulated in the usual ways.
    You don't have to add a plane, you can also drop it directly on your footage. Saves you a few layers...

Only caveat I can find is: whereas the Normal old text will redraw the letters at the appropriate size when you scale the Text Layer, so they're at the best quality for the size; once they are drawn on the Plane with the new method, the size is set. Which makes sense, really.
    You can change the letter size in the setting, you don't have to resize the plane. Resizing the letters in the settings makes sure you won't get funky side effects!

So, if you increase the scale of the Plane, you'll start to see jaggies in the letters, so don't do that; increase /decrease the size of the font itself if you want it to change and it'll be redrawn at the new size and the best quality. 
    Whoops, didn't see this paragraph when replying to the previous one... O well, seems like you figured it out.

The results are much improved when used with 3D Extrusion too.
    Indeed!

Jamie - Film Empire

• @Film_Empire I add text on a plane so I can manipulate it independently, just like a Text layer.

Would be nice to have the improved rendering method retro-fitted into the old Text method too though. Just because having two methods, one of which is a bit ropey, seems unnecessary. What could it break? Improved text quality could only be a good thing if you loaded up a previous project.

You might just do that to rerender it while making no other changes. :)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment