Delete vertices from mask without affecting other frames

Hi!
I have a problem with masking, which I can't solve:
Let's say I have a mask and animate it.
And after a few frames I want to delete a few vertices from the mask because they are no longer needed and in the way.
The problem is: If I delete a vertex from the mask (doesn't matter in what frame) the vertex gets deleted in all other frames as well.
How can I independently delete vertices in a mask on one frame without affecting the other frames?
In After Effects there's the possibility to uncheck  "Preserve constant vertex point count when editing masks".
And Vegas solves the problem by using a totally different way of masking.
Is there a way to do that in Hitfilm (without using multiple masks) ?

Comments

• I wish it would let you, but all the points exist for the entire duration of the mask. I've learned to plan ahead a bit and spread them out as needed.  In extreme cases, using multiple masks can work. Once you have too many duplicate it and delete as needed, and using opacity to control which one is in use.
  • I'd simply cut the clip at that point, delete the verts and start a new mask animation on the next segment
  • I have not found a way to delete a single point in the free hand mask, when I do, it deletes all the mask

• "I have not found a way to delete a single point in the free hand mask, when I do, it deletes all the mask"

You need to have the freehand edit tool selected to edit individual control points on a mask. With the selection tool you are always operating on the mask as a whole.

You can right click as shown or once a point is selected you can just press the delete key.

• I've been reading books on VFX compositing and they all tend to agree that if you have a more complex area to be masked that tends to move a lot, you are better to make a number of smaller masks that each affect a certain part of your subject.

When you no longer need certain pieces of it, just set the smaller mask's Opacity to 0.

Sign in to comment