JSBarrett's Stuff – Puppet tool test #2 (11/25/17)

Comments

• New Quick Tip in response to a question elsewhere in the forum about how to zoom into a tracked character.

https://youtu.be/LbphlBNO7tg

• edited September 21

@jsbarrett  Very nice!  You make it look so easy, but I would still be trying to figure it out this time next century if it was left to me.    Hope to be able to use it someday in a project.

• edited September 21

Nice, and loved the details. "Say it with me....". :D The text & the emojis splitting one way and the forum page going the other and all the rest. :)

Question: Any specific reason for using a 3D camera and not just another 2D point with scale keyframes? Or is it just 6 of one, half a dozen of the other as with many things in Hitfilm?

• @tddavis @Palacono  Thanks!  :)

As for the method, I must admit I was pretty much taking my cue from the way the question was originally framed: in essence, how can I zoom in to follow someone who's been tracked?  To me zoom is a camera feature, so that's the way I went.  I didn't try to explore other options.

So how would this work using another 2D point with scale keyframes instead of the camera?  I'm trying to picture the setup, and for some reason it's not coming to me.  Even messing around in HitFilm doesn't shed any light on this mystery rig.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

I'll tell you you CAN do this without a camera, but @jsbarrett has a smarter solution using the camera, so I'm not going to elaborate on the steps of the other procedure. From experience, using the camera is about five steps shorter and easier to set up. 

• edited September 22

In your specific case of using a single tracking point: the clip itself would have no scale values applied during stabilisation (which is different to what you did with a tracking point); so you can set scale keyframes on the video clip itself. Scale up, wait, scale down. Nothing else required.

If you had used dual trackers on a more wobbly image, then you'd have stabilisation values in Scale and Rotation in the clip, and you wouldn't want to mess those up.  Make a second point, parent the clip to that and make the scale keyframes in the new point, and they'll be combined with those in the clip itself. Make them bezier etc. as you did.

I just wondered - haven't tried with a camera myself, but just did with scale - if the quality of the zoom/scale would look any different or they're just doing the same in different ways.

• It's been a busy month since I last posted.  Work has kept me hopping, but despite that, there are some very fun things in the works on this end.  More to come later... ;)

• Great! Can't wait, I really enjoy your quick tips!!

• Some things are just too big for a Quick Tip.

#comingsoon #notsureiftheforumsupportshashtags #doingthisanyway

• Just to get ahead of the crowd... really nice guest tutorial. :D

• Just as FXHOME has been keeping details about the next version of HitFilm under wraps, I've had to maintain radio silence about something pretty cool on my end.  However, it's just gone live (as @Palacono has seen), so the wrapper can finally come off:

I just produced my first tutorial for the HitFilm YouTube channel!

I was floored when invited to do this, and excited that the team liked my proposed LEGO look concept.  I'd been messing with it on my own shortly before receiving the invitation, and even made a tweak or two during production to improve on my initial tests.  Anyway, I'm deeply grateful for this opportunity, and hope that you like the end result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25KKimCLJx4

• Very clever.

• @jsbarrett ; Very well done, sir.  I would never have even thought about using those effects the way did, and didn't even know that I needed such an effect until I saw your tutorial!  I doff my hat to you.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Congratulations, Justin!

I'm off in the middle of the south Pacific right now and our vessel's internet won't do YouTube (then again, ANY internet on a ship hundreds of miles from any land is impressive), so I won't get to see this for a few weeks, but, given the excellence of presentation in your other tutorials and the way you find really clever ways of approaching effects, I'm certain I'll smack my forehead later and wish I'd thought of it. :) 

Hopefully your channel will get a bit of a boost, too. Guest tutorials for FXHOME certainly have helped Hit-U grow much faster than I anticipated in my most optimistic guesses. 

• edited November 10

It is really a great tutorial. I would say it contains several head smacking moments! Perhaps this ought to be the rating system: How many times did you smack your head during the tutorial?

One Star - I feel Great!

Two Stars - I have Contusions on my Face and a Bloody Nose

Three Stars - Who are you? "I'm Batman!"

This was definitely a top rated (Three Star) HitFilm tutorial. Nice job @jsbarrett!

• @jsbarrett

Wow dude! Awesome! Gonna go like this on the Tube. :)

• Very well done!  Topnotch work.

• Lego master...

• edited November 10

Loved it, had a go (Lion in LEGOLAND Denmark :)

• @Stargazer54 @NormanPCN @Andy001z Thanks!

Very nice job, Andy! I like how you used larger color blocks with smaller studs.  The lion is still pretty recognizable, too. 

• This is one of my first full tests messing around with the new Puppet feature, created with the prerelease version of HitFilm Pro.  To make animation easier, all Puppet animation on the letter H was done with it centered in the frame, and then the layer was moved across the frame to create its more broad movements.  Even though it looks like two shots, this was all created in a single composite shot.

https://youtu.be/mwY3rsDnHYE

• That's just pretty damn cool!

• @jsbarrett Well, now there's an application for the PT that I had never even considered.  I have been only thinking of characters and photos and such.  Many thanks for the education.

• One thing I learned while making this is that text layers currently behave strangely with Puppet.  In short, you can't translate the text layer directly after Puppet is applied without weird things happening.  I had to create the H in its own comp, then bring that comp into my main comp, apply Puppet, and animate away.  Aside from that, though, it was pretty straightforward.

• edited November 24

That's nice. You can also just put a single point on a letter and drag them around  individually for the classic 'words flying apart' or 'coming together' look.

Needs the mesh colour changing though. Too easy for light green to become invisible.

• Nice. Probably a good Hitfilm channel guest tutorial worthy demo for the new puppet warp feature.

• edited November 25

@NormanPCN I've already been approached about doing another tutorial, and it will very likely focus around the Puppet tool.  It won't be a recreation of that shot, though.  Stay tuned for more...  :)

In related news, I've also been approached by ProductionCrate about starting to create regular tutorial content for them.  We're still talking topics, but one will probably be about how I used the Puppet tool -- and several ProductionCrate assets -- to make this test shot:

https://youtu.be/cqg69BIwkn8

This started out fairly simple with just the dragon graphic on a white background, but I couldn't leave it there.  :)

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that the beveled border on the dragon medallion is simply the letter O from the Caviar Dreams font, with the new Bevel text effect applied and some other texturing.

• @jsbarrett ; That's pretty sweet! I think I spied the Death-Eater pack smoke effect I used in my Hallowe'en trifle from ProductionCrate, right?   But that Puppet Tool is fantastic.  The 1st can't get here fast enough for me...

• @tddavis Yeah, that Death-Eater smoke is pretty easy to spot.  :)  

Sign in to comment