(H.I.S. Films Shorts) Deadly MEGA kick! [Production Crate Contest](11/23/17)

1234568»

Comments

• @jsbarrett Squirrel? Oh, it was just a mention of my name.  :)

Well, I'm here now, so...um... good spot on the tracked logo. I thought it was actually painted on the ground. I see it slides a bit in the second one (nicely masked against the barn), but you have to look hard to see that so it was a good job. Probably not done with mocha. I'm going to say: AE 3D camera Tracker?

• @Palacono You are correct! It was done with AE 3D camera Tracker! And yes, I did notice the logo the second time moving a little, and nice of you to notice the mask against the store!

• Well you fooled me completely the first time, so I'm legally obligated to say something that shows I'm not completely out of touch. ;)

• edited October 10

Haha well hope to fool you again! XD

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Balogna Man. Too much black, blah, blah, been said. @jsbarrett nailed it with mistakes. Those are how you learn and get better. The day I'm 100% happy with anything is the day I've become complacent. 

On the positive side the shots you've shown are pretty sweet. Some of the flying is spectacular, the building jumping is pretty close (get a cast shadow in the overhead  onto the roof and it'll be 10 times better), you've got lovely shockwave and energy effects, and that super slow mo explosion is a hell of an ambitious shot that works well. Text is suitably "Blockbuster. Overall it's great work.

It might be worth the re-edit to fill the black. Don't change anything else, just add in stuff. Especially the exchange dialog between the two characters, which could just be the shot that goes with the audio.

Pumpkins.

Lovely footage. Even knowing the logo was tracked in it's hard to spot. I probably would have been fooled.

If you take more corn maze footage (like you won't?) you need to start on a close overhead of someone, preferably two small happy kids, running joyfully along then rise up for the wide. Panning to buildings optional. I'd just go for the size of the corn maze. Maybe add a slow rotation in post... Totally add a slow rotation in post. 

• @Triem23 Glad you liked the Bologna Man TRAILER! Once again, I will remember the "to much black stuff" for the next trailer! I do not know what I was thinking! Lol

I was trying to get a cast shadow on the overhead roof scene, but I do not remember what happened, but I will try doing it for the film!

When I was editing the trailer, I thought about having one of the shots to be in that has the voice over, like you said, just didn't do it :( Next time though!

Glad you also liked the Pumpkins! originally I was not going to have the logo on the floor, I was not even thinking about it, but then I was like, you know I should put it there, and there you go!

I do not know If I will be taking more footage of the corn maze yet, I do not know what my boss wants me to film next, but if I do, I will probably do something like you said for sure!

Thanks!

• Hey everyone!!! I know I have not posted in a while, but this is what I have been doing, and literally we did all this in about only two weeks!! So it is not the best, I wanted to add more details, and end it better, and fix the voices, but once again I stayed up till 3 in the morning trying to finish this video and upload it, before the contest was over, and I think I barely made it, just 5 min. before the submissions closed! I also had more light saber fighting, shot, but did not have enough time to edit it in time :( And this is taken from the bologna man series episode #3, which the full episode will come out sometime next year! Enjoy! (still working on the first episode!!)

Let me know what you all think!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxHsS67-x5o&t=2s

• Very cool!  That's definitely an ambitious project to pull off in two weeks, but I think you did really well.  

Most of your effects were really nice.  The main one that didn't work as well for me was the big energy ball that ended up blasting them against the trees.  The concept worked, but the comp could've used more tweaking.  It didn't feel as grounded in the scene as everything else.

Another one that I feel could've used more tweaking was the way that Bologna Man's saber fell off the body of Darth Whatshisname near the end.  Instead of animating the saber falling off, it might've worked better to have the prop balanced on the guy's chest (perhaps with the help of an assistant and some fishing line) and just let it fall naturally, then clean it up in post.

The opening scene worked pretty well for me, but something about the comp makes it feel flat.  It feels too much like everything is being lit by a light directly behind the camera, and even though there's a good bit of darkness to the scene, the highlights on all elements are nearly at the same level.  I'm no live-action comp wizard by any stretch, but something could be done to improve the feeling of depth in the scene.

There was also too much camera shake in those opening shots for my taste.  If you were trying to make the camera feel handheld, HitFilm's shake effect isn't the best way to go IMO.  HitFilm has a tutorial that shows how to apply natural camera movement from one scene onto another, and might've been a more effective approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H25KR5GBg1U

•  I can appreciate the amount of work it took to pull off both the sword and the physical battle.    Yes there are things that at first look could have been refined for the sake of smoothness and continuity, however,  it is way above anything that I could accomplish given a year to conceive, write, create props,  film edit, create the VFX, Colorgrade and  final print.  So for me, well done.

I was also impressed that you were able to get Andrew Scott (Moriarty in Sherlock) to do the opening voice.  :)

• @jsbarrett Glad you liked it!!!

I agree with you on the energy ball effect, I think there were a couple things I could have done, but as I am going to say a lot, I did not have much time.

The Actors name for the sith's name is Nate, so we just decided to go with Darth Nater! XD  But that is a great Idea, and I should have done that, wasn't thinking! And I was already using fishing line for some of the other shots, oh well.

I totally agree with you on the opening scene! I have scene tutorials on how to do the depth stuff, but never really tried it, but yea, it is a little flat.

And thanks for showing me this tutorial on camera shake, it is going to help for sure!! I guess I could have done less shake!

Thanks @jsbarrett for taking the time to share your thoughts, and helping me out!!!!

• @BobDiMarzio Hey! Glad you liked it!! I appreciate it when people notice all the work! I could not have done it with the help of my family and friends!!! Plus the help from tutorials from amazing people, and places like this Forum!!!

It was very hard to get Andrew Scott to want to do the opening voice, but he agreed to do it for some free candy :D Lol He could have just said no, and waited for last night! Just kidding!

• I am back with another ten second entry!! Please let me know what you all think! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erhDwSLSOaU

• Well done!  Love the wave.

Sign in to comment