Adding Narration

I am making some lesson type clips to be put on youtube and on my website. I have the clips made into Hitfilm and the in and out points set so I can run the clips but now I need to be able to add narration to it, I don't see any way to do that directly in Hitfilm so it looks like I would have to export the project then use some other program to watch the clip and be able to add the narration, maybe a screen  capture, then import the narrated version back into Hitfilm so I can add other clips, which seems awkward.

The easiest way to explain it is the entire film will be similar to a newscast. After a "story" is introduced the clip runs then back to the newsdesk to introduce the next clip. I haven't filmed the newsdesk portions yet but that will be the easy part since it will already have the audio but the clips are silent at the moment. Any suggestions on how to easily add narration to the  clips and/or program suggestions? I currently have a couple of programs that could capture a screencast, it just seems so awkward to do it that way.     

Comments

• edited April 2015

Audio and Video tracks are seperate in HitFilm. You can just play the video and record your narration while watching it (with, say, Audacity). Then drop the audio file into your timeline under the appropriate video clip. You would film the news desk portions last, introducing each clip and then transitioning into the clip with your pre-recorded narration.

Let me know if I misunderstood something or if you would like more clarification.

• You understood it just fine CepheidMedia, and I understand. Don't know why I was thinking I had to make it harder on myself by exporting then re-importing the clips (sigh) One of those days when the easy solution seems impossible to see :/

Thank You

• edited November 17

Precisely! Why can't hitfilm partner with Audacity? Why can't there be a way to do things that are possible in iMovie, also?

Recording a narration is pretty basic and should not involve switching between various apps.

I use Audacity to record my voice overs with a Rode microphone. You can check samples in the link below.

Best,

doveranalyst

youtube.com/doveranalyst

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment