DNXHR transcode from AVCHD

I have a high-end Windows 10 Workstation for graphics work (i7, 16Gb, NVIDIA GTX 1070, 8gb vram). I have a 1080p monitor, but the rest of the system should be 4K compatible. My expectations are that I will SEE the 4K footage in the HitFilm in the viewer and the timeline. Is their some setting in options to reduce the 4k to what is viewable?

I have transcoded with a trial version of Footage Studio a 4K short clip from a Sony camera that produced what I hoped to be a DNXHR file that HitFilm Pro 2017 would import. It imports just fine, but I cannot see the video. The audi does play. Both files are .MOV containers. I have QuickTime installed.

I have poured for hours over Triem's transcoding videos. I understand all the theory.

What am I doing wrong?

The following is the captured file specs and the transcoded file spec:

SONY CAPTURE:

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L5.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames               : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 1 min 24 s
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 93.5 Mb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 100.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.470
Stream size                              : 942 MiB (98%)
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-10-14 19:55:07
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-10-14 19:55:07
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : IEC 61966-2-4
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

TRANSCODED FILE:

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : VC-3
Commercial name                          : DNxHR HQ
Format version                           : Version 3
Format profile                           : RI@HQ
Codec ID                                 : AVdh
Codec ID/Info                            : Avid DNxHR
Duration                                 : 1 min 0 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 698 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 3.512
Stream size                              : 4.89 GiB (100%)
Language                                 : English
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-10-14 19:55:07
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-10-14 19:55:07

Comments

• Aladdin4dAladdin4d Moderator

Well I'm not sure you're doing anything wrong but going with DNxHR means you're stuck dealing with 32 bit QuickTime. HitFilm Windows has native Cineform support with excellent performance and Footage Studio 4k outputs Cineform as well so I would ditch the Avid codec and try Cineform. If you're happy with the result, Virtualdub Filtermod and a little set up work will happily transcode to Cineform too without having to shell out the cost of Footage Studio although Footage Studio is a pretty nice tool.

• Ok, so let me say I tried to download the Cineform codecs. They don't seem to be on the CIneform site. Also, if I try to get Go Pro Studio, I only get Go Pro "Quik".

So where does one get a free 4k capable cineform codec without a lot of fluff. Accent on FREE!

• FootageStudio (and I guess any transcoder) says it needs the Cineform DirectShow Codec. Where do I get that? The GoPro "Quik" install did not include it. 

As of October 2017 Cineform is now open source and it looks like GoPro has dropped studio and distributing the codec. You can still find the last version to include it if you hunt a little.

http://software.gamblisfx.com/download-gopro-quik-2-3-with-gopro-studio-for-windows/

A checksum of the download matches my "real" download of 2.3 from GoPro so it should be safe. 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Aladdin4d Ugh, for crying out loud, GoPro bought Cineform years ago, and (claimed) they made it open source years ago specifically to branch out past cameras to codecs... and now GOPRO isn't including the codec they SPECIFICALLY BOUGHT?

*Facepalm* This is why, despite GoPro pretty much owning the Action Cam industry, GoPro's stock keeps dropping. I took a bath on those guys...

@Triem23 On the plus side it looks like David Newman himself is backing the open source release. He has a comment on this article from RedShark News

https://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/5029-gopro-opens-all-doors-to-the-cineform-codec

"There isn't a ready-to-install codec concept any more, codecs are now typically integrated due to application sandboxing. DirectShow on Windows is obsolete, QuickTime is dead a codec distribution framework, the very old Video For Window (VFW) still works in a few applications, but it is generally 8-bit only. Open sourcing will encourage more native integration. I'm open to ideas on what binaries could be included."

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Fair enough. :) 

• Yes, but what do I do? I need a Cineform codec that supports 4K without a license so that I can select it in FootageStudio (or any other transcoder) without it complaining.

OK, so do I download GoPRo Studio 2.3 for that?

Or

I'm a Microsoft Windows software developer. DO I try and build the codec from the open source GITHUB library and hope it loads into my transcoder successfully? Should I be lobbying with Footage Studio to do this themselves?

• Just download GoPro Quik 2.3.

The Cineform source is really only the datastream decoder and encoder. No Video for Windows or DirectShow wrapper code provided to create the codec install for the respective subsystems. 

• Downloaded and installed Go pro Studio. The cineform codec complains about licensing when I try to transcode to 4k and fails.

• I'm going to lay this in Footage Studio's support lap. They're help is basically saying the same thing you are, and well, I'm about to pay over $100 for their product. Ill report back here my findings.

So far, this is a bust. I have 4K files wanting to be transcoded to what everyone here is suggesting is the best format for HitFilm...Cineform, and the best container for Windows...AVI. Yet I cannot transcode anything to 4K using the cineform codec.

@aknittel You shouldn't be getting a license error with Cineform. That restriction was lifted years ago now. Did you install GoPro Studio 2.3 or GoPro Quik 2.3 with GoPro Studio? It can be confusing I know but that's actually two different things. If you installed Studio 2.3 then that's an old version that probably still has the licensing resolution restriction. Quik 2.3, on the other hand, installs the last version of Studio, 2.5.10 I think,  without restrictions on Cineform.

• I just transcoded UHD (GoPro) and 4k aspect (GH4)  aspect files to Cineform using VirtualDub filtermod. Nothing is complaining about licensing. I've never owned any Cineform licenses back in the day they had such a thing so there is no chance of that lingering on my system.

The only thing you ever installed was GoPro Quik/studio? No old original Cineform software installs. The stuff before GoPro.

Can we see a screen shot of this license complaint dialog?

• edited November 1

The only install AVAILABLE a few days ago was Quik/studio. That was a 2.0 version. I was careful to uninstall that specifically because I thought it's residues would cause an issue. Then I restarted, and installed what one of you gentlemen called out in either this thread or another.

Here's the screenshot (sorry this is a onedrive link):

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AtCAJBoxlRBgmdFUmkteMRuUox-y2w

MOD EDIT: Fixed picture link.

:

@NormanPCN Just FYI GoPro Studio prior to the release of the Hero 4 Black had three different levels, Free, Professional and Premium. Only Professional and Premium unlocked Cineform for resolutions higher than HD. 

• The Footage Studio CODEC information dialog (VC-5/Cineform Codec Configuration) even says everything is installed correctly AND gives the properties of the codec. It calls it out as:

"GoPro-Cineform Codec V9.2.1"

• "The only install AVAILABLE a few days ago was Quik/studio. That was a 2.0 version."

That is a very old version. 2.5 is current. You don't want that because it's installer has issues/bugs installing the system codecs. You want Quik 2.3. The last one to support Studio and known to properly install the codecs. Specifically I have GoPro_quik-WinInstaller-2.3.0.5383

If @aknittel actually installed 2.0 then that may be the issue if GoPro installs older than version X(?) did not support higher than HD. If 2.3 was later installed I wonder if some lingering item(s) of 2.0 were still there. A lot of uninstallers are not so good at fully uninstalling.

@aknittel If you right click the GoPro tray icon and select about what versions does it say are installed?

• Thanks, I was looking for the about box info!

Darn if it doesn't say EXACTLY what your says.

Should the decoder setting in the tray be set to Fast Desktop Playback only? There is another setting called Filter 422 to 444.

• I'll look for residues of 2.0, but the only place that would install is in WIndows\system32. There is CFHD.dll codec there but the version details are called out correctly in that file.

• edited November 1

For completeness, here are my VfW DLLs.

SYSTEM32

SysWOW64

These are both a little small, file size wise, do they are probably reaching into the GoPro studio install for the SDK decoder and encoder DLLs. The registry probably points to the studio install folder.

• OK, Houston I think we have lift off! Thanks for everyone's help.

I deleted the CHFD in system\win32, uninstalled, reinstalled and restarted.

I am able to produce a cineform AVI at 4K from the dji phantom mp4. Tomorrow I will try it from my SOny 4k camera.

HitFilm loads the AVI and reports that it is indeed a 4096 x 2160, 20 bit, using the go pro codec.

Tell me please I;m not dreaming and really did this!

MediaInfo states:

General
    Complete name                            : D:\Data\No Soliciting Footage\DJI_0146.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile                           : OpenDML
    File size                                : 3.57 GiB
    Overall bit rate                         : 510 Mb/s
    Writing application                      : Lavf57.72.101
    Comment                                  : 0.91.142

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : CineForm
    Codec ID                                 : CFHD
    Codec ID/Info                            : CineForm 10-bit Visually Perfect HD (Wavelet)
    Bit rate                                 : 510 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 4 096 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 1.896
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 2.402
    Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00 / 00:00:00:00 / 00:00:00:00
    Time code source                         : ISMP / Adobe tc_A / Adobe tc_O
    Stream size                              : 3.56 GiB (100%)

And there was much rejoicing!

• Yes, and reason for more! Footage Studio support emailed me back and they will have native support for this codec in next version.

=====================================

Thank you for your email, this happened with the old direct show Cineform codec versions not supporting  4k encoding, however the codec installed by GoPro Studio supports 4k since many years . I have here installed GoPro Studio 2.5 and the DirectShow codec supports 4k. Please have you checked if an old Cineform codec version is installed in your system?

That said, in next updates FootageStudio will include native support for Cineform decoding/encoding, so DirectShow codecs are not needed,   I will email you when the update is available. Latest updates include improved Prores bitrates, DNxHR encoding, AVI timecode support, a new favorite presets feature, a new burn-in filter, improved support for MFX OP-1a format, new OP-Atom format compatible with Avid, improved audio engine, Mov and MXF XDCAM HD422/HD/EX in OP-1a and OP-Atom formats, 8K support. Next updates will add support for Avid markers/locators, Intel Quicksync and NVidia GPU encoders H.264/AVC and H.265/HEVC in 8-bit and 10-bit, external audio tracks, improved color correction with LUT 1D/3D support and new encoding formats.

Sign in to comment