Can I upload an .hfp file and start editing it?

I moved the HitFilm contents to another folder and now I have trouble opening a previous video in .hfp format that I have worked on before on HitFilm. Is there a way to get it to open? Whenever I try to open the file on HitFilm I get the message, "The contents of the file cannot be read". Please Help.

Comments

• First, "x.hfp" is not a video format but a project for HitFilm Project file.

On the other hand, if the error message is that "contents cannot be read" it could be that your file is damaged.  

• The file worked and I was able to save it after editing but then as soon as I closed the application it wouldn't open the file again afterward.

• Maybe @Triem23 knows something about the matter?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Well, we'll start with the basic questions. System specs. CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage. Antvirus? Have you updated Windows, Hitfilm or added any other new hardware or software prior to the issue with the software?

What's in the project? Just trimmed video or did you have a lot of effects going on?

Honestly, this is probably one of those things where you need to contact support directly, hitfilm.com/questions/submit

But they'll need the same information I just asked.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Also, your thread TITLE asks if you can UPLOAD an .hfp to work on, where your first post say you MOVED YOUR HITFILM CONTENTS TO ANOTHER FOLDER. This is two different things. Maybe three.

Did you move your Hitfilm installation or the project folder? If you moved your project folder to another location on the drive or another drive are you trying to open the file via the "Recent Projects" drop-down in the file menu?

If you moved your folder and are using the Recent Projects Menu--well... Understand Hitfilm's Recent Project Menu is going to look for the project where is was when last saved. Hitfilm doesn't know you've moved the file. Ok, so your project was initially in, say, "D:/Myprojects/Project_Location," and you've moved it to "D:/Studio/Projects/Current/New-Location" Hitfilm still thinks the file is in "D:/Myprojects/Project_Location,"so gives the error on import. As far as Hitfilm knows, the file no longer exists. Try doing a full Project>Open and reload the project from the new location.

85% odds that was the problem. Otherwise, contact support at the link given above.

Um, can you UPLOAD an .hfp file to work on? Not really. Hitfilm project files do NOT store your video, audio and photo files in the project file. The .hfp file only contains pointers to wherever that media is. Uploading the .hfp file breaks all the media links--no big deal, Hitfilm will ask you where the files are next time you load the project--but, unless you upload all the media files as well, you'll just get a project full of "Media Offline" placeholders.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment