Hitfilm Express 2017 is crashing repeatedly

edited October 2017 in Express Support

Hi there,
a noobie here and enjoying working with Hitfilm Express so far a lot.
Unfortunately I had Hitfilm crashing repeatedly since the beginning.

Here are the specs:

OS -> Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU -> Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz   Ivy Bridge 22nm Technologie
RAM -> 8,00GB Single Kanal DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
HD -> 119GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Seri (SSD)
 + 1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)
GPU -> (had the crash with the older one Geforce 210 before) -> now 
2047 MBNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (ZOTAC International)

So what happens:
Hitfilm crash/popup comes up of a sudden while having an open project (the last one has 55 objects). Sometimes the crash appears after exporting to mp4 (1980, YouTube).
The export is always successful, but after that it can happen that the popup
"We're sorry
Hitfilme Express 2017 encountered a problem and has to exit. To help us fix the problem, please send the crash report to us." appears (it's always this popup).

I have no idea what this is. At first with the old and lame 210 Card I thought this could be the reason, but still with the new GTX 1060 , which I bought because of the recommendations here and elsewhere, the error is still there.

I've send the error-log several times before, this time with my actual mail-adress.

One additional info (don't know if this important): I have Hitfilm Express installed on the second HD, the 1863GB Seagate SATA, not on the C:/ HD (the SSD) -> could this be meaningful?

Any help is very appreciated
cheers, Thom

Comments

• Irritating. This thread seems to have disappeared - now it's back - and the comment count in the list view shows up with one comment. But I cannot see  it - so sorry for adding this unnecessary test-comment here (which could be deleted laters).

• Sorry about that, your thread got gobbled up by the automated spam filter. I restored it this morning while going through the system.

• Ah - thanks Daniel - good to know.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Hmmmm... Possible the older GPU is causing a bottleneck with the new GPU?

Double check you've run all outstanding Windows updates (I just did this on my own Win 7 a few days ago and it helped with some issues), and double-check you've got the most current Nvidia driver.

If the issue persists, it's probably best to directly contact support at hitfilm.com/questions/submit

• Thanks Triem23,

I have the old GPU/card removed, so now only the GTX 1060 is here. (no error indications). I have done all the latest "important" updates for Win 7, but will check now through the optional updates - maybe there is something in the box. The NVIDIA-Driver is the latest (387.92 ).

Thanks again for your advice - will probably then contact the support if nothing changes here.

• @Thomekk The crash when importing media sounds like a known issue with Dell Backup and Recovery or Alien Respawn. If you have either of those softwares please try to uninstall it and try again.

http://hitfilm.com/faqs/view/78

•  Thanks for taking your time Cedric,

it's not happening via import of media. Always after having opened a project with some stuff and while moving/editing in the timeline or after successful export.  I don't have the Dell Backup and Recovery / Alien Respawn installed.
    Have sent now the formular to support and got a ticket.

• @Thomekk Ah well it was worth checking about those. I'll leave it with you and the support then. Feel free to post your solution on here when it gets resolved, in case it helps someone else.

• Sorry for the late reply!

Just wanted to let you know:
    Axel sucessfully helped me out (thanks a lot!!) - and it seems to have been at first sight a typical noob mistake by myself as some of my footage has been not in CBR   After transcoding all the stuff with the same CBR Settings everything went more smoothly for sure.

Just a tiny "but":
    Working in Hitfilm Express 2017 gets well along, though after closing a project still very often this small alert appears after closing Hitfilm:
    Errorhttp://www.musik-und-text.de/27-11-_2017_12-25-35.png

This happens after closing several projects (so it seems not to dependent on one of them). All of them have media with the correct same CBR as well as the corresponding project settings. So this is no "biggie" for me, as I can work with the program. Just wanted to let you know.

And a big thanks to this community! Searching through the forum alongside with checking out lots of tutorials has helped me a lot.

• hey, i just finished installing hitfilm express 2017, and everytime i click the desktop icon it shows that crash window repetitively and never opens. Is there anything i can do?

• I've reported the same problem, but with 2017 Pro. It worked fine a while back but refuses to open now.

• edited January 6

Running Win 10 on a AMD 1700, SSD drives, GTX 1060 6GB, 16 GB Ram.  I created two short projects, not the most stable program I've used but it got the job done.  However, I floated the viewer to my second monitor on the last project and now Hitfilm hangs when opening my two projects or when creating a new project.  Pretty sure this is related to a floated viewer.  Is there a config file I can edit to reset or anchor the viewer back in the main window?

[UPDATE]
    So my fix post below was deleted somehow.... 

Floating the viewer on my systems makes Hitfilm extremely unstable.  Here is how I got Hitfilm working again.

1. Uninstall Hitfilm Express 2017 (this does not remove UI settings!)
    2. Open explorer and navigate to: C:\Users\YOURUSER\AppData\Local
      Delete the folders: FXHOME and FXHOME Helper
    3. Click on your start button and type "regedit", run regedit from the program list.
    4. In Registry Editor click "HKEY_USERS" under "Computer".
    5. Click Edit then Find...  Type in "fxhome" in the Find What box.  Make sure Keys has a check mark next to it and press "Find Next"
    6. This may take a while but regedit will find a folder "fxhome"  In that folder are Hitfilm Express 2017 and Organization Defaults. 
    7. Right click on the "fxhome" folder and choose "Delete".
    8. Re-install Hitfilm Express 2017

It would be great if UI settings were not saved in the registry.

• edited January 6

Yep, floating the view appears makes Hitfilm extremely unstable on my system.  If you are crashing and have floated your viewer here is how I got it functional again.

1. Uninstall Hitflim Express 2017 (this doesn't remove UI settings!)
    2. Navigate to your OS drive (C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\FXHOME).
      Delete the FXHOME and FXHOME Helper folders.
    3. Click the start button and type "regedit"  Click the regedit program that shows up in the list.
    4. In the Registry Editor click Edit > Find.  Type "fxhome".  Make sure the look at option at "Keys".  Click "Find Next".
    5. Once the fxhome folder is found right click on the "fxhome" folder and choose delete.
    6. Close regedit.
    7. Re-install Hitfilm.

Hitfilm.... please refrain from saving UI configurations within the registry.  Bad, no cookie.

• @irongamernet

Your original post was not deleted, but for some reason was caught by our automated spam filter. I have fixed this now and your original post appears above.

Regarding the Viewer settings I'll mention it to @CedricBonnier

• irongamernet 
    I tried your approach, and it made sense since I didn't experience any crashes until I floated a bunch of panels. But I uninstalled and scrubbed the registry twice and it still crashes anytime I open a project/create  a new project. 

It'd be nice if hitfilm could get on this, since I have several video projects that need to be completed, and switching editing software would mean months of work wasted. 

• edited January 17

MikaelMorrellStinson

A couple other additional step that may do it (or not).  After clearing the hitfilm app data folder and the registry entries.

1. Have windows clear temp files.
    2. Reboot. (I know, it's old school)

After those steps try starting a new project before opening a saved project.  If that doesn't fix it the crashes may be related to some other issue or UI positions may be saved in the project file itself?  Spitball'n here.

• Bullshit. Nothing is working it is CRASHING AS SOON AS I HIT NEW!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Quinny_Westy_SSO thank you for your courtesy and patience.

Now, try posting some actual information about your system that might help solve the problem. 

What is your CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and storage?

Crashing as soon as one hits new isn't uncommon, and guess what? I bet when you list the above specs your problem will be one of two things. Either your GPU drivers are obsolete--congratulations, easy fix!--or, your computer is under minimum requirements to run Hitfilm, as posted on the download page. 

• edited February 3

To the community.

I  have been running "Visionlab Studio", for years,  and the program is ROCK solid stable, and ran originally on an XP system . Now on Win 7 Pro   , it continues to  run fine. It's my WORK Horse, and my GO  To program for compositing and Green screen work. It may not be as fast  as  it's 64 Bit Big brother. But, "IF it ain't broke, don't fix it."... It does what it's supposed to do. I did upgrade to HITFILM 3 Pro, and like many other users, It has  substantial stability issues, and constantly crashes at start up. Weird errors  that don't make sense.  Export is a slug, and basically a waste of time. I really wish the development  team had  spent more time digging through the weeds, and got the software stable before it was  released.  At this point; I  stopped using it because of  all the nonsense crashes, and SLOW export. My Studio 21 program will export  frames in minutes.  Same file in HITFILM will take hours. I don't understand how that works. I wish they had done  more development  with Visionlab.  It was a great platform. 

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment