Voice overs to sound like it was behind a person?

Hi!

Question: I did voice overs for a part where my actor is walking and the camera is following him form behind, and those voices need to sound like they are coming from behind him, and the camera, plus the voice overs might sound to clear, like you can notice they are voice overs.

Thanks,

Comments

• Wow! That is a very interesting topic! I'm wondering  what kind of answers you can get. Here is mine (I'm assuming you meant in a stereo situation):

1. You may need an audio software (I suggest you try REAPER, it's shareware 100% functional even after the trial period) so you can have more tools for audio manipulation.

2. You NEED to move your "voice over person" to the first plane eventually in order to achieve the "behind the camera" effect, as this change is what will sell the effect that the voice was behind in the first place. Otherwise your listener won't have a clue. Is this dynamic that sells the effect. 

3. Duplicate your V.O. track and pan each copy to extreme left/right respectively. 

4. Cut some frequencies arround 1.5-2kHz with EQ in both channels. 

5. Add a very subtle delay in both channels, with slightly different settings for each track

6. Once your "V.O. Person" comes to first plane in the shot, automate the Pan, EQ and Delay to be Center, Flat and Off... respectively. 

About the "Sound too clear so you can notice they are voice overs" I suggest you record them in different rooms, the dryest room (like a closet) for the voice overs, and any other room for the "character voice". 

You can fake the "Dry Room, Wet Room" adding reverb to one recording. Just don't use too much. 

• @Emecorp Wow, thank you for your input! I am downloading REAPER now, then I will try to follow what you said, and the voice overs have already been recorded, so I will try to add a little bit of reverb.

Thanks

• Thanks, I hope it is what you need. 

Also, if you plan to leave the voice overs as voice overs, you could convince the audience just by having a clean "in your face" sound. My suggestion would be:
    1. Gate, 2. Compress the heck out of it 3. Center the V.O. in the stereo field.

• @Emecorp here is the video without music, just the rough audio somewhat edited, so you can get an idea of what I need to do, I also have audacity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCH2tjIkgLU

• Cool!

Audacity does a "destructive editing" to the files, so be sure to have an untouched copy somewhere else. 

REAPER on the other hand, does a non-destructive editing, so you can apply all the effects you want, and always go back to the original recording by deactivating the FX. 

Again in REAPER, use the ReaFIR effect to reduce the noise in the voice over audio. 

Here is a good tutorial in how to do that in REAPER

https://youtu.be/31phzT7pxkk

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Emecorp hit the most important tip, but I'll repeat and expand...

Cutting high-mid EQ (Emecorp suggested 1.5-2Khz, I'd say 1.5-4Khz) is actually the most important step. High frequency sounds are also more directional--they carry farther than low frequency sounds, but in a narrower spread.

A quick test you can do for reference is to quickly set up a mic. Face the mic and say a reference line. Turn your back to the mic and say it again. The difference in sound between facing the mic and facing away from the mic is what you're trying to recreate here. Facing away from the mic should give you a more muffled sound (less high mid) and more room ambience (verb). 

• @Emecorp sorry I never used REAPER, where do I put the EQ effect, and add 1.5-2Khz? Help please!

• To add effects in Reaper, click the "FX" button on the track controls (left).  FWIW, you can also add item-specific effects, as well as effects on the master output, but in your case track level effects are what you want.

• You can go here

https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php

There are a bunch of tutorials on how to use REAPER, from very basic stuff to more advance.

• Okay thanks guys I will try to get it to work

• As it's been pointed out that putting the microphone somewhere else helps - like behind you - couldn't you try that and have all the frequencies removed by your own head being in the way? :)

• @Palacono I would definitely do that but the voice overs were done on set with other people that I do not see often so I got to work with what I got ;)

Sign in to comment