Making comp appear to wave in wind like a flag

Got a 5 second comp that is black background with a jpg and text on it.

I want to overlay this over a flag in a short video.  That in and of itself is not a big issue but I want to add a bit of waving to the 5 second comp so when I put it over the existing flag it has the same kind of waving action going on. Or at least enough movement to trick the eye.

I am unsure what effect(s) to utilize to get that look.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• May have found what I was looking for with the Waves effect. :)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Waves is an option. Also, possibly Parallax, Caustics or Displacement, but if Waves gives the look you want it's easier to set up than the other three. 

• or with atomic-particle...

@chriguf is correct, Atomic could do it too. That said, Atomic requires either Hitfilm pro or a paid add-on pack, where the other listed effects are all in base Hitfilm Express.

• Yeah got HFP17.

Much appreciated.  The wave effect wasn't quite what I was hoping for so I'll see if I can make one if these other effects work better.

• Depending on what's behind the existing flag, you might consider replacing the existing flag completely rather than trying to match the waving in your comp with the existing flag wave.  Find a flat version of the flag, add that to your comp with the image and text, and then apply whatever waving effect you want to the whole thing.  Track that to follow the flag pole, and then use other effects and/or a clean plate to remove the existing flag and replace it with yours.

• edited October 15

If the scene was shot using a flag that has a regular grid on it, or a series of dots, is there a way in HFP to map the flat graphic to the flag fabric, so the graphic distorts in sync with the fabric motion?

Not really. That's such a genuinely complex solution no one would do it. It's easier to create a flag from scratch. Hell, depending on the shot, it's easier to remove the original flag and create a new one from scratch. Best, shoot an empty flagpole and create a flag from scratch. 

Sign in to comment