J and L cuts?

Is there a video tutorial on making  J and L cuts in Hitfilm Pro? I seen some videos that come close, but nothing that nails down the best techniques.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I'm not sure a tutorial needs to be done. It is a two step process in Hitfilm. Moving the two edges of the linked audio clips. Move one edge and then move the other to match. Two steps.

You hold the Alt key down when moving the edges. This, Alt modifier, is only necessary with linked audio. If audio is not linked to the video then the edge moving is just "normal" timeline trimming.

http://hitfilm.com/reference-manuals/hitfilm-express-2017#editing_tools.htm

• I think that process is pretty normal in most NLEs. There isn't much you can do to avoid it, since from a technical point of view, it's as simple as trimming the audio and video tracks of a linked clip independently.

• Hmmm, this reminds me that adding support for J & L cuts with the roll edit and ripple tools (to make it a 1 step thing) is still in my todo list...

• Personally, I learn faster through video tutorials. There's nothing like watching someone carry out a task within the interface of the said software. The information is more likely to stick in my memory through such training. Manuals can often be too wordy and dry when it comes to learning techniques. Theory is great. But video tutorials allow me to hit the ground running. 

• How about an animated GIF tutorial?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@jsbarrett best. Tutorial. Ever. 

• @jsbarrett I thought heard the distinctive sound of a mic hitting the floor on that one

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Aladdin4d just your imagination. GIFs have no audio. ;-) 

• edited September 21

@jsbarrett
    Perfect.  I'm guessing you have to "unlink" first?

Thanks!!

By the way, how did you create that GIF?

• @ToddGroves As you can see in the GIF, the audio and video tracks are still linked (see the link/chain symbol). Holding ALT is what allows the audio track to be adjusted independent of the link.

• @jsbarrett
    What about the video side? Can I hold ALT and adjust the video in the same way? Or is there a different approach?

Thanks.

• I don't know.  Why don't you try it out?  Frankly, I had no idea how to do this myself until this thread came along, and I just opened the program and tried what @NormanPCN suggested above.

Sometimes trial and error is your best friend.  :)

• Yes, you can adjust the video or the audio. Different sides of the same coin.

The Alt modifier is simply a temporary disabling of the link between the video and audio clips. So Alt, saves you from unlinking and doing whatever trims and then relinking.

• @CedricBonnier "...is still in my todo list..."

If your todo list ever gets manageable just let us know. We got you covered. 

For clarification, by "manageable" I mean that you don't need a super telephoto lens to see the end. A standard telephoto is expected/assumed.

• @NormanPCN
    "Yes, you can adjust the video or the audio. Different sides of the same coin.

The Alt modifier is simply a temporary disabling of the link between the video and audio clips. So Alt, saves you from unlinking and doing whatever trims and then relinking."

Thanks!!

• @NormanPCN it's probably visible from space :D

Sometimes it's good to get a reminder as we get the opportunity to fish one item out of that list, implement it and make everyone happy (including the developer). We can't do that all the time but every now and then when it's simple enough we can ignore the priorities a little bit :)

Sign in to comment