Call of Jedi - Lightsaber short

edited October 2011 in Everything Else
Hey guys. A couple of old Fxhomers, Tommy Gundersen and I have completed work we did on a Star Wars fanfilm, and want to share it with you. We made this in the summer-holiday, and as usual with my projects it was way harder to complete than we hoped, had a longer run-time than estimated, and took way longer to complete. Nevertheless I'm lucky enough to have friends who are passionate about filmmaking and no-one ever showed any signs of wanting to abandon the project. I know there's already a lot of these and I watched a lot of them when doing research for this to see where the bar was set, but we had a lot of fun making it so I don't regret putting so much effort into a lightsaber-short. :D Enjoy.

[size="5"]Call of Jedi[/size]
- Staff Only

Comments

• Hello! Great work on this! I saw something about this mentioned on Tommy's website and thought it sounded cool.It is! I liked the titles at the beginning i think it worked really well- reminded me a little bit of the tv series Fringe and some of their titles. The camera movement in the title shot were very smooth as well. The batteries in the lightsabre was a very funny sequence as well- i liked that :D The glow from the swords were particularly good- especially in the fight scene.
    I Really liked this short- everything was professionaly done, the cinematography, the lighting, the locations and effects. And of course the sound by Tommy was brilliant. Also the humour was well done, subtle at times, crazy at others, but never cheesy as some shorts like this can be. Overall a very fine film. Thanks for a fun 8 minutes!
  • Thanks for the feedback. :D The opening title was indeed inspired by Fringe. I can't seem to make anything without some Fringe influence ending up in the project.
  • I'm quite impressed. The sound design is quite good with you (which is rare!!) What I really like about this is , most videos like this simply have a fight. You've built it up , given it a story. Thought there was some great bits of comedy. The cinematography was great in this, did you use a steddiepod or steadicam ? The editing on the whole very tight. The grading was good (though I suspect the brunt of it was done in camera?)
    Overall I think this is great. Loved the plot, especially loved the ending. Look forward to any future work you bring out.
  • We used a glidecam for the moving shots. The camera was Canon 550D/t2i. Color grading was done with a very spiffy plug-in for AE I can't recall the name of at this moment, but I'll find it for you as soon as I can. We could basically just make a certain green greener, a certain blue whiter etc. So the skintone stayed correct and the image is easy to look at.
  • edited October 2011
    I wondered what happened to Staff Only! So you're the Doctor now Lol
    EDIT: Pretty cool short! Nice effects and camera work. Specially liked the force push. Good job guys.
  • I think quality wise its right up there with all the best of the other star wars fan films ive seen.
    I really liked the humor, I just sat back watched it as entertainment and it was very enjoyable was really worth sticking with
    Did I imagine it though or did the gun change from a normal hand gun into a blaster though.
    On a slightly starwars related note I showed an old video I did with the fxhome effectslabpro demo of my two kids having a light saber fight to there five year old cousin. He looked amazed and said " are they real?"
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks for the responses guys! :D
    I wondered what happened to Staff Only! So you're the Doctor now Lol

Yes, I was in a Doctor Who mood when I made this user and (as the Doctor said in the 2010 Christmas Special) thought "what the hell".
    Did I imagine it though or did the gun change from a normal hand gun into a blaster though.

The "normal handgun" with a magazine as a blaster, is a reference to this "Lazer Glock" joke. ;)
    On a slightly starwars related note I showed an old video I did with the fxhome effectslabpro demo of my two kids having a light saber fight to there five year old cousin. He looked amazed and said " are they real?"

Yeah, the affordable and powerful software amateur filmmakers have access to these days opens all kinds of amazing possibilities. :)
  • This was well done, it looked really good and the effects were all handled well. i'm not a fan of star wars fan films, but you did it well enough. I loved the forest location, absolutely great place to film stuff, you should definitely make more use of it.
  • I too really enjoyed this. Good comedy, excellent fight location, and nicely to the point. Nice work, guys!
    Ps. I was just wondering the other day what happened to ol' Staff Only, and turns out you've been here all along. Nice!
  • Staff Only never died... He just regenereated.
    Oh, and cheers for the awesome response guys! Really glad to hear you liked it :D
  • I liked this film a lot I also watched typewriter and liked that too. :D

• We used a glidecam for the moving shots. The camera was Canon 550D/t2i. Color grading was done with a very spiffy plug-in for AE I can't recall the name of at this moment, but I'll find it for you as soon as I can. We could basically just make a certain green greener, a certain blue whiter etc. So the skintone stayed correct and the image is easy to look at.

Wow, that was a great fan flick! Nice work.
    From a technical standpoint, I was amazed at the lack of jello-cam, so kudos on the glidecam work.
    Also, I'm very interested to learn the name of the AE plugin you used for grading... thanks!
    -joe
  • edited October 2011
    That was really pretty sweet. I'd agree with everyone else on here that this was well done, especially the lightsabers, and I thought the force push was a very noteworthy achievement. Very well done! I'd be interested in what went into that.
    Anyway, there were two things that I didn't like too much.
    1) When the Jedi is on the ground, it didn't seem to fit with the way he had just fallen, as it appears that he is laying on his back with his right arm flat on the ground, and his legs bent, etc. When the next scene he is on his side. I think because they didn't match it seemed a bit unnatural to me.
    2) When the pushes the Sith, it doesn't appear altogether convincing that he is being pushed. To me, it looked like the Sith was going that way anyway.
    Well other than that stuff, the cinematography, sound, editing, and special effects, were all rather good. :)
  • edited October 2011
    Ps. I was just wondering the other day what happened to ol' Staff Only, and turns out you've been here all along. Nice!

Hehe, yeah, I'm glad the Fxhome gang isn't over. I haven't had much time to post in forums lately, but I really liked all the stuff you guys wrote in the "This place is gone"-thread and that you are now actively trying to populate hitfilm. :D So I decided to make use of the user I made when I have the time.
    Also, I'm very interested to learn the name of the AE plugin you used for grading... thanks!

It's called "Color Finesse".
    1) When the Jedi is on the ground, it didn't seem to fit with the way he had just fallen, as it appears that he is laying on his back with his right arm flat on the ground, and his legs bent, etc. When the next scene he is on his side. I think because they didn't match it seemed a bit unnatural to me.

Yes, that is true. Alas when you're trying an effect you've never tried before, the workflow between software can be the hardest thing to figure out. We didn't quite know how the CGI-double would turn out when we shot the film and it was the hardest shot to complete for Eirik. I added the quick shot of the Sith between the CGI-double shot and Tommy lying on the ground early (long before VFX-work on the CGI-double was started), because I didn't know how they would match up. I hope in theory Duke could move his arm in the shot of the Sith. ;)

2) When the pushes the Sith, it doesn't appear altogether convincing that he is being pushed. To me, it looked like the Sith was going that way anyway.

Yes, that little part was easily the least polished choreography. We were tried for time at that point and I would have liked a quick close-up of Duke slamming the saber out of the Sith's hand as well to make that part more convincing. But at that point the biggest problem was that while figuring out how to disarm both of them, I was worrying that we needed to figure out how to change the axis completely for the shot of the CGI-double. Eirik and I also had to sprint waaayy to the other side of the lake to film the 300mm shots and we had a little over an hour left. So that little part kind of got the shaft. Personally I'm relived so much of the choreographed fighting worked, because I was really nervous about it beforehand. If that didn't work the whole project would fail. And since I was going to do all the lightsaber rotoscoping I knew the fighting had to be cool if I was to find the motivation to see it all frame-by-frame.:P
  • I forgot to ask this question last night: were the smoke effects practical? If they are, how did you pull that off?
    Thanks for the info about the AE plugin!
    -joe
  • @The Doctor, yeah I figured you couldn't help the issue of his position, but thought I'd point it out, if for no other reason, so that my post wasn't another post that is full of only praise. ;)

• I forgot to ask this question last night: were the smoke effects practical? If they are, how did you pull that off?

We used some powder from a firecracker, lightly wrapped in aluminim foil, with an electric ignition system. That way we could get the timing perfect because we had an "on/off" button with no delay.
  • Ha, nice work! The Jedi running with sabers out was a little weird, easier surely to turn them off.

• Ha, nice work! The Jedi running with sabers out was a little weird, easier surely to turn them off.

Only a jedi would know this..... ;)

Haha, yeah. It would have been a lot easier for me anyway. :P
  • edited October 2011
    Finally got around to watching this, and enjoyed it a lot. The choreography, in particular, was superior to most fanfilms, and was both fun to watch and convincing the far majority of the time. The outdoor locations were beautiful and well-filmed. The effects were nicely handled, as was the sound work. I could tell a lot of time went into the subtler aspects of the effects, such as the interactive lighting, that really help to sell the effects.
    But yeah, I'm pretty sure Jedi are trained to turn their sabers off while running away like little girls. ;) That's my only complaint, really.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment