What's your favorite bad movie?

I was just thinking about this and decided to make a thread for it. What is your favorite (or some of your favorite) bad movie? I'm talking about the "so bad it's good" type films.
I would say my favorite bad movie is The Marine, with John Cena. Terrible movie in every way yet it's a guilty pleasure!

Comments

• Starship Troopers. Every brain cell I have tells me I should hate it.... But for some reason I cant.

• Starship Troopers. Every brain cell I have tells me I should hate it.... But for some reason I cant.

Just go read the book by Heinlein. Then you won't have any difficulty hating the movie. I was SOOOO disappointed when they dropped the powered armor and turned it into WWII in space.
  • Conan (the first one with Arny). The second one was just painful, but the first one had some great moments, like the look on his face when the guy with the warhammer knocks the big pillar over. About the only thing they got right about Conan from the Howard books was his name, but it's still a guilty pleasure.
  • Starship Troopers?! I quite like the original actually. The sequels are definitely bad films, but the original had its good points.
    S.W.A.T. is my guilty pleasure bad film. I have seen it at least 10 times, never quite get bored of it. In fact, if I wasn't at work right now, I'd probably go watch it.
  • well I think what I would consider my favourite bad movie I really enjoyed as it was meant to be bad. That movie being Hobo with a Shotgun. I mean its sick. it makes little sense. But I found it hilarious. Its not for the light hearted. It was even better when several months later I was greeted by a Hobo with a lawnmower walking the streets asking me for directions.
    Ive recommended it to many friends and some arent allowed to watch it when they have their female partners in the room due to its sick story telling.
  • Some of my favourites have already been posted- starship troopers. S.W.A.T (Watched this the other week and forgot how quite good it was, purely for entertainment- couldn't even remember the plane landing on the bridge scene before! ) The marine with John Cena i just couldn't get in to- i gave it a good 15 minutes but it was just too painful to watch :D I have promised myself to watch it sometime though as it could get better as the movie progresses. I suppose i'll have to strap myself into a chair and just bear it :D
    Probably my favourite bad film is the 13th warrior- a bit of an oldy and over looked if you ask me. I think it was did quite bad at the cinema's when it was released but i love it! Not sure why...
  • it's gotta be tremors for me, I wish they'd show the tv series again on the sci fi channel B-)
  • Con Air.
    " Of course you're having trouble reaching him. He's off saving the rain forest, or recycling his sandals or some shit. "
    That is all.

• Con Air.
    " Of course you're having trouble reaching him. He's off saving the rain forest, or recycling his sandals or some shit. "
    That is all.

Put the bunny back in the box.
  • Okay, here's another one...
    Army of Darkness. Bruce Campbell is great in this, especially during the windmill scene.
  • It's a tie between Jeepers Creepers (1 & 2 'cause it's one continuing story) and Phantasm (all 3 because again it's one continuing story). Both are pretty low budget but have their moments as well.
  • For me it had to be Army of Darkness, or any of the other Evil Dead films. The animation and acting is corny, but they are hilarious. Another is Freddy vs Jason, I laughed my ass off.
  • Not sure about Starship Troopers being a bad film. I really enjoyed it. I think the irony and social commentary escaped a lot of people (not pointing to you guys here of course!!). Then again, I love a lot of Paul Verhoeven's work (Robocop, Blackbook, Total Recall, Soldier of Orange).
    Now, for my favourite bad movie...well, anything with Steven Seagal in it. I mean, acting is always the same, story is always the same...but, having a beer and watching a Steven Seagal flick on Channel 5...guilty pleasure!
  • I suppose I'll add a few:
    Jason X - never a fan of horror but this film takes Jason to the future with somewhat hilarious results, the film is actully rather entertaining and probably more of a parody. Ideally watched in a sleeping bag...
    Trailer
    Shotgun - low budget cop film, one where looking for the faults is part of the experience, and the extras are the true stars. even includes an A-Team montage where a pickup is transformed into a tank with the help of a Freddie Mercury look-a-like.
    Deadly Deadly Justice

I can't agree on a few of the suggestions here, Verhoeven's work contains lots of commentary hidden beneath the seemingly 'dumb' surface, Robocop and Starship Troopers are anything but bad movies, although all the sequels are very poor. PLus i guess some of you will say i have poor taste, but Con Air, Conan, Armageddon are fantastic films, unashamed to say that.
  • I've just discovered there was a direct-to-video sequel to SWAT! I'll be watching this.
  • Have to say that most of the "bad" films listed here are great movies!
    Army of Darkness is fantastic! It wouldn't be the same movie if it was a slick Hollywood blockbuster, and Starship Troopers works for the complete opposite reasons, a high budget Hollywood blockbuster completely taking the p*ss out of America and the very system that funded it, pure genius.
    Jason X IS however a bad movie, terrible acting, directing, script, plot, but that sleepingbag scene will stay with me forever, so currently Jason X is winning for me!

• Have to say that most of the "bad" films listed here are great movies!
    Army of Darkness is fantastic! It wouldn't be the same movie if it was a slick Hollywood blockbuster, and Starship Troopers works for the complete opposite reasons, a high budget Hollywood blockbuster completely taking the p*ss out of America and the very system that funded it, pure genius.

Exactly! Couldn't agree more.
  • Tremors, as well, is a fantastic movie. It has become the stuff of bad movie threads because of its horrible camp-fest sequels, but the original film is legitimately a classic in my opinion. It's no The Thing or Alien, but it's awesome nonetheless.
  • edited November 2011
    Santa Claus vs the Martians ( also known by several other titles )
    This movie is absolutely dreadful but i love torturing everyone i know by forcing them to watch it every year at x-mas time. Unfortunately this year someone has stolen my copy of this stinkfest movie, so I will have to find a new copy.
    Santa Clause vs the Martians ( also known by several other titles )
    This movie is absolutely dreadful but i love torturing everyone i know by forcing them to watch it every year at x-mas time. Unfortunately this year someone has stolen my copy of this stinkfest movie, so I will have to find a new copy.
  • Commando. It should be the definition of 'it's so bad it's good'. My dad loved Arnie films and taped them all and that eventually rubbed off onto me. I watched his films endlessly including Commando which is high up on my list of fav films. Even I have to admit it's a bad film though, whilst being totally awesome and inspiring.
  • I'm really finding that GI Joe has become a bit of a guilty pleasure. Is this wrong..?

• I'm really finding that GI Joe has become a bit of a guilty pleasure. Is this wrong..?

So very wrong that its gone all the way round and become right again.
  • edited November 2011
    Frankenfish and Jingle all the Way are a couple that come to mind. Troll 2 is a pretty great bad horror movie, probably with little intention of being great. This topic led me to discover this trailer for "The Best Worst Movie," which is about the people behind Troll 2. Will definitely give that a watch. Then Mystery Science Theater takes on bad films are always great, notably the Hobgoblins 'episode.'
    There's also a terrible Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer cartoon movie, featuring Whoopi Goldberg as an ice queen villain. It somehow gets worse every year when I watch it with my sister, and we thought it was bad when we were children. I don't recommend watching this sober, if at all....we've built up a tolerance to it.
    And there was nothing like the opening night of Snakes on a Plane... Sorry for my non-specificity, it's one of my favorite "genres," especially in good company.

So very wrong that its gone all the way round and become right again.

I like that.
  • Oh man Troll 2 is genius in its ineptitude. Everything about that movie is terrible, but it's just so much fun to watch.
  • There's also nothing wrong with Jingle all the way..!
  • I'd have to also go with Starship Troopers. It's so bad, but I love it and watch it again and again :-/
  • Surprised I haven't seen anyone mention The Room yet.
    Oh, hi everyone, by the way.

• Oh, hi everyone, by the way.

"Oh, Hi Mark...",
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plz-bhcHryc
    Where i know The Room is hilariously awful, I have never seen more than clips on youtube so i can't really added it as a favourite.
    Batman and Robin - you can tell this film is awful from it's opening scene. it propels it's self above the previous 90's batman incarnations (which were just bad) into the watchably bad zone. The 'diamond heist' at the beginning is utterly inept, wire work that is so obvious, based on unnatural physics, and how batman conveniently has everything to suit every occasion (ice skates?), oh and there was a huge rocket in Dr Freeze's car? really?
    All of these obscenely awful conveniences and poor ice puns/ simply poor scripting make it ever so watchable for me. I do have to admit I find it hard to believe Joel Schumacher could make these films, knowing that the guy has also made some pretty great films.
    I'd also like to nominate Commando, but i have so much love for this piece of art, I cannot fully commit the film to being 'bad'.
    Really how do you class a film as bad if you like it enough to be able to watch it? as a truly bad film is often based on personal tastes, unless it's so incomprehensibly inept where the whole production weaknesses show in every shot.
    Some people seem to find the sci-fi channel films from 'the asylum' watchable based on their awfulness, but I can't watch these at all, the film makers know they are making sole-less cash-ins based on name similarity, and they know they are making bad films which makes them try making it even worse than they already are due to the "lol sci-fi channel film" niche they sell to.

• I'd have to also go with Starship Troopers. It's so bad, but I love it and watch it again and again :-/

But it ain't bad!!
    (IMHO of course :D )
  • Another one I have to add is the first Pink Panther with Steve Martin. That movie seems to get a lot of crap, but I honestly love it Lol. Never seen a movie mix smart humor and stupid humor at the same time and come up with a good result.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment