First Hitfilm Demo Video

edited October 2011 in Filmmaking
Firstly, well done to everyone involved with the development of this very useful software! It has all the convenient features we need in an easy to understand layout. The tools and properties of each effect is so well thought out and detailed allowing us to use our imagination beyond the stars!
Here is the link to my first Hifilm video. Thoughts?

Comments

• edited October 2011
    very impressive for a bigginner! i am one myself, though i have been at it about 4 months but im only at your stage. i forsee a good animator!
    p.s. crisis is awsome! ^^
  • Thanks paradad2303! It was really fun using the simple "tweening", especially with the missile effect taking the flare scale and light intensity (inverse square law FTW!) into account.
    P.S...You mean CrYsis? Good game indeed. If not...you must be looking forward to the "crisis" (the film coming out) :D
  • Oh thanks. Now I'm scared. :-?
  • well done ! looking forward ;)
  • Thank you guys! Obviously this video needs some feedback...if you could be so kind? Please tell me what was good so I can utilise that strength and tell me what I need to improve on such as managing the aspect ratios :D
    Hopefully the film adaption of my novel (Onset) will actually turn out well!
  • The first thing I noticed was that the movement on the optics at the very start were nicely tracked onto the eyes, but they were a bit too solid, and didn't really feel like they were interacting with the scene the way lights should. The hard diagonal spike through the effect, and the ring around the outside, make them look like lens flares rather than optical lighting effects, so I'd probably stick with a more basic optic shape, so there is just a brightly glowing center,no larger than the eyeballs, and a softer glow falling off from there.
    The second shot with the statue of Liberty, looked pretty nice, though it looked like the missile thingy was going to go right over her head, rather than hitting the statue. Maybe this is the plan, but it feels like its aim is off. The smoky effect drifting across the frame from the lower right corner feels a bit static as well, and perhaps getting a bit more movement into the particles, particularly as they are fading out, would help add realism.
    All in all, nice work though, particularly for your first go.

• The first thing I noticed was that the movement on the optics at the very start were nicely tracked onto the eyes, but they were a bit too solid, and didn't really feel like they were interacting with the scene the way lights should. The hard diagonal spike through the effect, and the ring around the outside, make them look like lens flares rather than optical lighting effects, so I'd probably stick with a more basic optic shape, so there is just a brightly glowing center,no larger than the eyeballs, and a softer glow falling off from there.
    The second shot with the statue of Liberty, looked pretty nice, though it looked like the missile thingy was going to go right over her head, rather than hitting the statue. Maybe this is the plan, but it feels like its aim is off. The smoky effect drifting across the frame from the lower right corner feels a bit static as well, and perhaps getting a bit more movement into the particles, particularly as they are fading out, would help add realism.
    All in all, nice work though, particularly for your first go.

Thank you Axel!
    I put the picture of the statue of liberty in 3D space and made a point that moved past the virtual camera and towards the distant layer to give the illusion that it was going past the camera and heading for her head. I spent most of my time on the missile flare to key frame the light intensity and scale. But maybe I could add a flicker to make it look more intense :D And yes, I barely touched the smoke effect and I cannot wait to experiment further! :D Frankly, the first shot was simple. I was moving slightly in that shot but I added two simple lens flares and added a shake filter to give the illusion that it was being tracked and used the exclusion blend mode so the eyes looked shiny.
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • cool! to make the effect more intense at the missile bit with the statue of liberty, you could add a grade layer to darken the scene with an exposure efect, or crush blacks and whites. also you could add a color gradient and make it shine down from the top of the screen, then change the color to blacky-grey. that gives a real nice effect of a stormy cloud!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment