Kid's Reaction to Empire Strikes Back Reveal

edited October 2011 in Everything Else
So, I've sort of been neglecting the HitFilm forums but I figured this would interest basically everyone here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbV5hn_ET0U
This is the first time this kid ever watched Empire, and his reaction to the "I am your father" moment is simply priceless.
Enjoy!

Comments

• That's a pretty classic reaction.
    Now just imagine how many kids out there will watch the Star Wars movies for the first time, starting with Phantom Menace. That moment would be completely neutered if you watched the prequels first. I can only hope that parents are smart enough to show them in release order, not by the number of the "episode".
  • DanielGWoodDanielGWood Staff
    edited October 2011

I can only hope that parents are smart enough to show them in release order, not by the number of the "episode".

Amen to that. Possibly with a short lecture afterwards on all of the mistakes of Lucas - Episode I, "Nooo" and Han Shot First for starters.
  • Except...I find the prequels make the original trilogy better. Despite the poor storytelling in eps 1-3, there's actually a good story at its core - just ineptly told. But in spite of the prequel mess, having that back story does add an extra flavour to eps 4-6. Vader's first entrance on the blockade runner, his obsessive hunt in Empire, and pretty much the whole of the Vader-Emperor-Luke stuff in Jedi: all of it feels deeper and improved, to me, despite the prequels being flimsy in themselves.
    Has anybody else found that?
  • Start with the prequels then go to the original trilogy I wish I watched them that way. Because other wise you know that the emperor and Vader die.
    It just ruins the story. It’s like watching the Lord of the rings when you know they destroy the ring.
    yes i do simon.
  • Awww- the vid's not working! :(
    Simon- Sorry, I'm with Pooky- no. If I were to have kids one day I would show them the movies in release order. If they want to see them in order to episode when we're done then fine, but the impact of Darth Vader being Luke's father was one of THE greatest movie moments in history. If you start watching from episode one by the time you get to Ben talking to Luke about his father I see no mystery to the revelation from the audience's point of view- it would be pretty easy to piece together. I don't think Luke's denial in the Cloud City reactor chamber would be as effective either. By the time you get to Yoda saying "Your father he is" there would be no mystery left and no need for the confirmation from the audience's point of view. But that's just my opinion.

• the impact of Darth Vader being Luke's father was one of THE greatest movie moments in history.

It’s too bad I never got that moment I knew that Vader was Luke’s father before I watched the movie. :(
  • I think the twist the Vader was Lukes father was fantastic, but unfortunately my generation cant 100% appreciate it because we simply were most likely aware of it before we even watched the films.
  • What? They destroy the ring at the end? Wow, now you spoiled Lord of the Rings for me.
    Wait, what, Darth Vader is Lukes father? Oh now you spoiled Star Wars for me too! 8-|

• What? They destroy the ring at the end? Wow, now you spoiled Lord of the Rings for me.
    Wait, what, Darth Vader is Lukes father? Oh now you spoiled Star Wars for me too! 8-|

I just knew somebody was going to say that. 8-|

• Except...I find the prequels make the original trilogy better. Despite the poor storytelling in eps 1-3, there's actually a good story at its core - just ineptly told. But in spite of the prequel mess, having that back story does add an extra flavour to eps 4-6. Vader's first entrance on the blockade runner, his obsessive hunt in Empire, and pretty much the whole of the Vader-Emperor-Luke stuff in Jedi: all of it feels deeper and improved, to me, despite the prequels being flimsy in themselves.

Partial agree. I do enjoy the prequels (apart from the 1st one, I really can't stand "Annie") as films. They don't measure up to the original trilogy, but they do expand the Star Wars universe a lot, and with a few exceptions, they expand it in a good way.
    I would still show the films in release order though (and actually I'm not sure whether Simon is implying he wouldn't..).

I have but I liked the prequels. I did think Lucas short changed the way he told the story for the sake of the visuals. I guess I'm not purist enough to get worked up about it. My oldest son has aspergers so he's only seen bits and pieces of each one. Can't get him to sit through a whole viewing yet.
    The wife ruined the surprise anyway. :((
    I though it might be interesting to have a crack and rewriting the prequels for the fun of it but came to my senses. Lucas had all of the elements there and I think he took the path of least resistance. Take Revenge of the Sith. Anakin's fall happens rather quick. In the previous films Lucas lays out his love/obsession with Padme but never shows Palpatine take advantage of that until the last movie. He could have showed a bit more of that through the other two films. Darth Maul got short changed for Jar Jar's screen time but otherwise I can live with them.
    Just curious but how would you have wrote the three prequels, simon?

• Except...I find the prequels make the original trilogy better.

No ;)
  • edited October 2011

It’s too bad I never got that moment I knew that Vader was Luke’s father before I watched the movie. :(

That makes me sad. :(

I think the twist the Vader was Lukes father was fantastic, but unfortunately my generation cant 100% appreciate it because we simply were most likely aware of it before we even watched the films.

That's sad too or two! :( :(

What? They destroy the ring at the end? Wow, now you spoiled Lord of the Rings for me.Wait, what, Darth Vader is Lukes father? Oh now you spoiled Star Wars for me too! 8-|

And your dad can beat up my dad! Wait......is that right?
  • well, i must be lucky cause i was a kid who watched the original first, but only because mum and dad dint let me know there was a single prequel in existence. im greatful though. i remember me hearing that when i was 5 (about 6 yrs ago) and doing something like that kid in the vid. (hey, that rhyms!)

• That's sad too or two! :( :(

Welcome too or two or to my life ;) .
    SpEELRinged EaSy<. :P
  • Just curious but how would you have wrote the three prequels, simon?

Well, as I mentioned, the story is a good one, it's just the storytelling that doesn't work. It's mostly a pacing issue:
    - Have the spark of the clone wars begin in episode 1, at the same time as Palpatine's slow rise and the discovery of Anakin.
    - Have ep2 be a full on clone wars war movie from start to finish. Anakin as a hero, but with increasingly dubious/desperate tactics. Cliffhanger ending of some sort pushing him right to the edge (basically, like in the original Clone Wars animated series, on top of the temple as his anger gets the better of him).
    - The whole of ep3 is then about Anakin's fall, rather than squishing it into the last half.

• Well, as I mentioned, the story is a good one, it's just the storytelling that doesn't work. It's mostly a pacing issue:
    - Have the spark of the clone wars begin in episode 1, at the same time as Palpatine's slow rise and the discovery of Anakin.
    - Have ep2 be a full on clone wars war movie from start to finish. Anakin as a hero, but with increasingly dubious/desperate tactics. Cliffhanger ending of some sort pushing him right to the edge (basically, like in the original Clone Wars animated series, on top of the temple as his anger gets the better of him).
    - The whole of ep3 is then about Anakin's fall, rather than squishing it into the last half.

I'll go along with that. It never did sit well that Attack of the Clones only had the clones attacking in the last half hour or so or that Jango Fett was not utilised better.
    Ah well, maybe sometime in the future Lucas will change all that. B-)
  • Here's an interesting concept I stumbled across this morning: http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/film-nerd-2-0-revenge-of-the-sith-devastates-the-kids-as-anakin-falls-from-grace
    Basic suggested watching order is: 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6
    Which I actually think is probably the best way to do it. You get the Vader/Father revelation, then have an extended flashback to what happened, which builds up the background as I described earlier, just in time for the showdown in Jedi.
    I like it.
  • Woah, that actually makes the prequels seem a lot more powerful. If I hadn't just rewatched both trilogies I'd be on that.
  • Has anybody else found that?

A very interesting idea for sure, and might work well for us (fans), but for new people I don't think it works at all. Because I've found that "outsiders" who haven't seen Star Wars react to the trilogies that the Original one is "old" and the Prequel one is "new" with McGregor, Portman and Christensen who all look much more like the moviestars they are used to (you have to admit; the tiny blond teenager is rarely the hero, though I find that makes Luke's journey to Jedi master much cooler than if he'd looked like Keanu Reeves from the start).
    Because of this they often see the Original films as curiosities and the Prequels as mild entertainment when seen in order 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. It saddens me that, maybe because the Prequels set the wrong tone and expectation, the "magic" of (OT) Star Wars that drew all of us in and never let go goes over their heads when they watch the Originals after the Prequels, and they are left wondering why we talk about it all the time. As Tarn ended his post: has anybody else found that?
    PS: I saw the films in order 1, 4, 5, 6, 2 and 3 because 1 was the only Prequel out the first time I saw Star Wars in 1999. I was, as far as I can remember, spoiled the twist.

I can agree with that up to a point. There is definitely some good impact from knowing the story from the prequels when watching the originals again, but it is ruined by now viewing Darth Vader as a whiny conceited punk.
  • Basic suggested watching order is: 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6

Ugh, no. I think the prequels should just be ignored. They're so stupid. Plus, I like the mystery of Obi-Wan, the Clone Wars, Vader etc. Even if the prequels had been good, I think the story still reduces the impact of the original.
  • edited October 2011

Basic suggested watching order is: 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6
    Which I actually think is probably the best way to do it. You get the Vader/Father revelation, then have an extended flashback to what happened, which builds up the background as I described earlier, just in time for the showdown in Jedi.
    I like it.

Actually... I quite like that. When I have kids... I think that might be the order I show them in.
    Essentially, you'd get the original "Star Wars" experience, complete with the shocking "I am your father" twist, and without getting creeped/grossed out by any of the "incest" moments of Luke and Leia flirting with each other. Then we'd get an extended flashback explaining how the Empire came to be, fleshing out some important backstory, and adding some more context to the final showdown in "Return of the Jedi". For example, Emperor Palpatine becomes a much stronger villain in "Return of the Jedi" when you've actually gotten to see him orchestrate Anakin's fall, the destruction of the Republic and subsequent rise of the Empire. Padme's last words "I know there's still good in him" would plant a perfect seed leading into "Jedi"... bolstering Luke's sentiment that he also can "feel" some good left in Vader. That would be at the back of your mind throughout "Return of the Jedi, and at the end, when you see Vader standing there, conflicted, you know exactly what he is thinking... and his redemption becomes that much stronger.
    The prequels would also have a revelation of their own, (while, admittedly taking one away from Return of the Jedi). When the droid announces that Padme is carrying twins you'd think back to the exchange between Obi-Wan and Yoda on Dagobah --- ("That boy was our last hope." "No... there is another"). You'd see Padme give birth to a baby boy and name it "Luke". You'd think, okay, there's Luke, now who the heck is this other one? She gives birth to the second baby, a girl, and she names it... "Leia." I'm not sure if anyone else would agree, but I actually think this is a better "reveal" than the moment where Luke actually figures it out in "Jedi".
    I could go on, but those are the two significant things that stand out to me. I'm sure there are other scenes that could benefit from viewing in this order (Yoda's death, perhaps), but I won't get into them. Basically, I'm thinking that watching the prequels before Episode VI actually might be the most "fulfilling" way for a newcomer to watch the series. The prequel backstory adds extra weight and emotional investment to the final battle in Return of the Jedi, while the "big twist" of the series would remain intact. That way, everybody wins.
  • Indeed. It's quite neat. I might give it a whirl as my Christmas Movie Series this year. :)
  • after the watching order there is the version !
    Please see the original version ( 4,5,6 ) smoke when they shoot with their laser rifle xD and quadripod model moving in stopmotion !
    and after remastered,blu-ray and soon 3D version.
  • This is a great little movie. I'm hoping my girls will like Sci-Fi movies when they are older as they are only 1 and 3 at the moment :)
    I do like the idea of watching in the order 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6. I think I'll have to give that a whirl.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment