Show Your Art!

I think this should go in this forum, oh well - move it if otherwise.
I've been drawing ever since I can remember and animating ever since I was about 5! ( The advantage of being born of the nineties = having access to modern animating/drawing tools from a young age! :P )
So since there's no other thread like this to my knowledge ,
I'll post some art here and leave it open to others.

Combination of 3d modelling and Photoshop.
:D
[img]http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/5449/modelep.png[/img]

Also!, if anyone needs some help with art or matte painting etc. just send a message my way!
- Sean Parnell

Comments

• very interesting I would be intrested in seeing the process of turning the 3d model into a painting
  • Nice topic! I wish I had more time to draw. It's something I really enjoy, but I'm horrendously out of practice now. Perhaps next year I'll find time to do a course or something...
    While I'm not doing any artwork at the moment, I am writing a comic book series to accompany the Arms Race web series, so at some point that will need illustrating. I might just have a go at some of it myself!
  • Sculptris is a fun program to play around with. And the best thing is, it's free!!!
    Nice work.
  • Awesome thread. :D
    I've been drawing/painting since I was four years old. I went all digital in '08 since it saves a ton of cash because you don't have to purchase art supplies. I used Photoshop and Corel for all of my art projects but gave them both up in early ,09 for Gimp which I discovered in July of '08 because it is sooo much easier and less clustered than the other two programs. I recently downloaded Sculptris and that program rocks. It is a fantastic tool to have in conjunction with Blender and the FXhome software. You've gotta love it. I really love drawing comics but I go for realism rather than the stylised approach that you see from most artists. Maybe I'll post some work here if that's cool? :D
  • Here's some of my work, the first one is painted in photoshop and the second one is charcoal with some digital colouring.
    [img]http://happysadpictures.squarespace.com/storage/drawingpaintingother/DAGONweb1.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://happysadpictures.squarespace.com/storage/drawingpaintingother/SLASHERweb1.jpg[/img]
    I've always drawn and painted, and it's my other passion in life beside film making and something I am working on turning into a career.
    Good idea for a thread, looking forward to seeing more from others.
    Max
  • Nice thread Sean! And nice drawing too-i really like the hair texture and the eyes-hair is one of the hardest things to draw realistically and you've done a really nice job there.
    Max- i've always liked that Fish drawing-i saw it on your website ages ago and thought it was amazing- the attention to detail on the skin is brilliant.
    I've always loved drawing-ever since i was a kid- i'm good enough to get by whilst designing costumes and props but you lot have amazing skills!
    Sam
  • I Am Fish God reminds me a little of the henchman creature in Hellboy 2. Given that Guillermo Del Toro's creature design is always astonishingly good, please do take that as a compliment. :D
    On the subject of comics drawing, I can highly recommend Bryan Hitch's comics guide: http://www.bryanhitchbook.com/ It's the best introduction to writing and illustrating comics I've encountered. Although it's primarily focused on the illustration, rather than focusing on poses and how to draw superhero muscles (like seemingly every other comic how-to book), it approaches it always from a storytelling angle. How to split the page into panels in a way that augments the pacing of the story, how to have action flow around the page etc.
    In writing the Arms Race comic I've found it quite invaluable, enabling me to do mini-sketches for each page layout as I write. As such the writing hopefully makes the most of the comics format, rather than simply being a movie script.
  • Here are a few water color paintings that I recently made. They're a little sloppy but I kinda like how they turned out.
    [IMG]http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/8813/courto.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/7091/painting1.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4214/beausara.png[/IMG]
  • Spydurhank, your watercolor paintings looks like what you can create using software.
    Did you use a software package that turned a photo into watercolor image?
  • edited January 2012
    A couple of my more recent images...
    actually I used FX Lab Pro on both images to add effects.
  • I really love the second image MasterWolf- the goblins/orc things looked especially cool- as did the dragon and troll/giant. How long would something like that take you to create? Great stuff!
    Sam
  • That image is called Epic Battle. It took me about 3 weeks to complete but that was mostly due to we had massive electrical storms at the time. I had to shut down the computer a lot for fear of getting zapped. The bulk of the image was completed in about 3 days. I've since upgraded my computer and my software, so I can work a lot faster now. The first image, Scouting Mission, was created in about 3 hours. Scouting Mission took first place in a contest, Epic Battle took second in another contest.
  • wow, congratulations on the contests! They're both great images that capture their respective worlds perfectly. Have you got any idea what you're next project might be?
  • I've got a couple of contests coming up. After that I want to spend more time working on screen writing and learning a lot of the software I have picked up in the last couple years. I've taken first place in almost 40 art contests in the last 2 years.
    I started in traditional art. Been drawing all my life. Been doing computer art for about 15 years now.
  • edited January 2012

Spydurhank, your watercolor paintings looks like what you can create using software.
    Did you use a software package that turned a photo into watercolor image?

Yeah, I was thinking the "impressionist" effect in Microsoft Paint?
    I was in another thread, and the OP was talking about motion tracking and FCP vs. AE, and all that, a saying he was going to "tell the studio to buy this and that" and....blah blah blah.
    And he had a banner with some "Production Co." after the name that looked like it was made in 1980 with Windows Paint. I think there's a lot of posers in here. :)
    And why would you draw a crazy ear like this, unless it got messed up by the effect? The top half is nearly photographic, but the bottom half...hahaha that's embarrassing.
    [attachment=192:beausara zoomed in.jpg]
  • Here's something I made not too long ago. It's all original photography shot by me, nothing from the web, just a good old skool composite poster.:)
    [attachment=193:Occupy.jpg]
  • edited January 2012

Here's something I made not too long ago. It's all original photography shot by me, nothing from the web, just a good old skool composite poster.:)
    [attachment=193:Occupy.jpg]

You can't make fun of spydurhank's "watercolor" and then post that... 8-|
  • edited January 2012

You can't make fun of spydurhank's "watercolor" and then post that... 8-|

I don't claim to be an artist. I guess spydurhank's first post about being an artist for so many years created too high of an expectation.
    I've been drawing/painting since I was four years old. I went all digital in '08 since it saves a ton of cash because you don't have to purchase art supplies. I used Photoshop and Corel for all of my art projects but gave them both up in early ,09 for Gimp which I discovered in July of '08 because it is sooo much easier
    Apologies all around, then :)
  • VikingFilm65 I draw the line art on paper, scan it then import it into Gimp and paint it from there. It's super easy to do and takes maybe 30 minutes to an hour... So to be honest it's not really water color and I should have said so. :D I can upload a pic of the original line art if you want? Just have to dig it out because my girlfriend and I just bought a house and all of my drawings and art stuff are still unpacked. And don't worry about your question or budwzr's assumption because as I said, I didn't originally mention that I made those paintings with Gimp so that's my fault. I'm actually asked that question a lot so no worries. :D I guess some folks don't consider you a real artist if you use software?
  • edited January 2012
    I guess some folks don't consider you a real artist if you use software?

If it's any consolation, my poster got speared too. :)
    What I've discovered is that with art, 5% will really love it, 5% will really hate it, and 90% will think "Meh".
  • Yeah, you may be right. I suppose that I just got so used to having Gimp as a tool that, I don't really think twice about it. I don't paint very often... not as much as I'd like to because I've been mostly using gimp to texture 3D models and to make matte paintings for backgrounds and a little photo manipulation here and there just for fun.
    Here are some pics of a model that I started working on in Blender three weeks ago. It's not complete and this is the first attempt at texturing it. Still needs a lot of detailed work.
    [IMG]http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1396/93868941.th.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1977/80271901.th.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/2878/81518519.th.png[/IMG]
  • hmmm. most people tend to like my stuff. At least I have won enough contests with it.
  • To me... art is art. It doesn't matter what you used to create it and I really enjoy looking at other peoples renders. :D
  • I guess some folks don't consider you a real artist if you use software?

It's not that (although I'm sure there are people like that,) it's that your paintings really, really look like someone just took a photo and applied a filter to it. Especially that third one. If you really can post the original line art for that one, I'd love to see it, because I'm having trouble believing that it isn't just a photo with filters on it. No offense intended, but I've seen that kind of effect used for years, and that's all I can see when I look at those. *shrug* I'm happy to be wrong about it. :)
  • No problem. I'm doing a matchmove in Voodoo right now and it looks like it's gonna take a while so I'll unpack my art stuff and dig those out. I'll probably just a take a picture of the line art and upload that. Cool? :D
  • Here you go, looked everywhere but I'm missing one of them. Not sure what happened to it.
    [IMG]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/5497/dsc00159eh.jpg[/IMG]
    By spydurhank at 2012-01-12
    [IMG]http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6343/dsc00160we.jpg[/IMG]
    By spydurhank at 2012-01-12
  • Nice! I still say the final versions look like photos with effects on them, but that just means you did a REALLY good job painting them in. I tip my hat to you, sir. :)
  • I like the line art originals better than the final painted version, personally. but I'm a big fan of pencil art.
  • I understand what you're saying but it's really rather easy to do this in Gimp. I didn't know there were effects filters out there that do stuff like this. All I did was try to mimic some Corel and Photoshop brushes in Gimp. Gimp has this cool little plugin that can animate a brush that you've created or downloaded from the internet.
    Hmm, maybe I'll try and do a time lapsed video of the process that I use when I get some spare time.
  • edited January 2012

hmmm. most people tend to like my stuff.

They're probably too scared not to :)
    Man, that's some serious dark art. Why so evil?
    The detail and complexity are awesome, just too scary for me. But I'm no art expert, hahaha.
    I read somewhere that the MOCA in NY had a chance to buy all of Picaso's paintings for $15,000, before Picaso became famous, and they turned it down claiming the work wasn't worthy.
    Anyway, illustration takes real talent, whether done on a computer or paper and pen, and you're definitely talented. Myself, not so much.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment