128MB graphics card not supporting NTSC resolution

Hiya!
I've been attempting to run the Ultimate demo on my computer, but once I've got my project settings selected I get this message: "Your video card does not have enough memory to support a resolution of 720x480 with 8-bit color. Please lower the resolution."
I've edited video on this machine for ages, including HD stuff. What's the issue here? I have:
Display adapter type: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Total available graphics memory: 1855 MB
Dedicated graphics memory: 128 MB
Dedicated system memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1727 MB
Not that I know what any of those figures actually mean :mellow:

Comments

• Sorry but the 6150SE nForce 430 is well below the minimum specs for HitFilm.
    HitFilm requires at least a GeForce 7900GT (itself a 6 year old card) although something like a 9800GT will give much better performance.
  • Wow, and here I thought my machine was reasonably capable. Would an upgrade be a fairly simple operation, removing one card for another, or would there be other things to consider?
  • An upgrade could be pretty simple and you would see a significant performance increase with any current generating video card. Low end cards would probably be around 8-10 times faster. High-end cards might be as much as 50 times faster. Hope this helps. :)
  • A graphics card installation is fairly straight forward. The most difficult part is actually checking to make sure our computer has the right slots for the card of your choice. For instance, be sure to have an available PCI, AGP, PCIx16, or PCIe slot if that's the type of card you need.
    If you are looking for a tutorial on graphics card installs, check out my video tutorial for installing (ironically) an nVidia 9800GT card.
    Best of luck!

• A graphics card installation is fairly straight forward. The most difficult part is actually checking to make sure our computer has the right slots for the card of your choice. For instance, be sure to have an available PCI, AGP, PCIx16, or PCIe slot if that's the type of card you need.
    If you are looking for a tutorial on graphics card installs, check out my video tutorial for installing (ironically) an nVidia 9800GT card.
    Best of luck!

Glad you checked in! I'm going to direct some of my YT viewers to your tutorial if you don't mind.
    I'm editing a "Don't Panic" video right now for people thinking a new graphics card is the end of the world and get them steered back onto the HitFilm track.

• Glad you checked in! I'm going to direct some of my YT viewers to your tutorial if you don't mind.
    I'm editing a "Don't Panic" video right now for people thinking a new graphics card is the end of the world and get them steered back onto the HitFilm track.

Heh, awesome, most appreciated! ;) Sounds like a good idea. If you need anything more, or want some help with ideas for the video, feel free to ask!
  • Thanks for that, the tutorial made it look pretty straightforward :) Still, how do I determine which sort of slot I have available before disassembling my computer? Also, I found this card via Google shopping: http://www.focalprice.com/CX185R/Nvidia_9800GT_1GB_64bit_PCIE_VGA_DVI_TVout_Graphics_Video_Card_Red.html?utm_source=CS&utm_medium=GM_US&utm_campaign=CS_GM_US_CX185R
    Would it be sufficient for running Hit Film Ultimate?

Sign in to comment