Maximizing HitFilm performance

Comments

• I really wonder about all these complaints. Some comments ("vaporware") even suggest that the software isn´t working at the moment, which is not - at all - the case. Some initial bugs have been fixed within about a week which is - although it would have been better if they had not been there in the first place - excellent and seems to prove that there´s no reason to talk about the fear of false promises or the like. And the fact that the vouchers are not valid forever is really absolutely normal. Considering that the price of HitFilm is already fairly modest, I actually think that the vouchers are a fairly generous offer. To sum it up (in my opinion): There´s surely room for improvement, but the software works well, has lots of interesting features and an affordable price, and even if there weren´t any future improvements, I would not regret having bought it. (Which is not to say that you shouldn´t ... ;) ).
  • Hey everyone!
    We're testing some updates here at FXhome which show some fairly massive increases in performance, particularly on playback of MP4s and those movs you get on Canon DSLRs. Optimisation is ongoing but we'll pass on these updates to you as quickly as we can. Look out for one in the next few days. :)
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I can confirm that on my mid-range home machine (Intel Q6600 and NVIDIA GTX 260) the optimizations we're testing are making a pretty big difference. As Josh says, we'll have more details soon!

• Look out for one in the next few days. :)

Ooh, nice!
    I think ram preview is needed in a future version as well though. That's the biggest thing missing for me right now. There will always be heavy comps where it's impossible for the hardware to keep up.

• I think ram preview is needed in a future version as well though. That's the biggest thing missing for me right now. There will always be heavy comps where it's impossible for the hardware to keep up.

Totally agree. If there isn't an update coming that makes realtime playback without frame-skipping possible on every machine (which I highly doubt ;) ), this is needed.
  • HendoHendo Staff
    edited July 2011
    HitFilm 1.0.1914 has some significant performance improvements related to media files and rendering, particularly for MP4 and DSLR videos.
    Please update and let us know whether it improves performance for you.
    http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/update
    http://hitfilm.com/standard/update
  • Hi
    I have downloaded the update....still wont playback in real time....PLEASE PLEASE Allow Ram Preview. I would love to use this software...but it wont run in real time.. I know my laptop is not the fastest but AE runs fine......including alot of the CPU GPU demanding plug ins ????? dont no why that does and HitFilm wont play just a simple clip in real time ??? ( I dont mind a little wait for rendering ????)
  • More optimizations are being worked on, slogan. Thanks for your patience, and I'm sorry to hear your video is not playing back - what kind of videos are you using, and what GPU do you have?
  • thanks Simon
    Ill check out the Laptop and get back to you.
  • edited July 2011
    I updated HitFilm to the newest version, updated my nvidia video drivers and even converted my videos to other formats. Not much changed - still slow as hell and pretty much unuseable. The original files I am using are .mts files (from a sony DSLR camera) and are 1080p (1920x1080) at 60fps.
    My project is at the same resolution. I have an intel i7 laptop (Toshiba Quosimo) with 16GB ram and 1TB hard drive. It has the Nvidia 360M video card with physx. I updated it an hour ago, so my video drivers are up to date.
    I ponied up and bought the ultimate edition with the special coupon, despite it not working well at all. I have tried both 64 bit and 32 bit, both barely work.
    Video plays properly on full res after I make it into a composite clip. It will NOT play properly before hand. The composite shot, for some reason, plays great. Audio does not work with these files. If I convert the videos to wmv, then audio works fine. However, in the native .mts format, no sound and no audio waveform showing.
    Is the audio fixable or is this a bug in the software? What can I do to massively boost performance so I can use this software as intended? I am excited by what I see everyone else doing, but I cannot seem to use the software due to every button press, every cursor move, every single thing you try taking over a minute to finish. It is driving me CRAZY!
    Surely it cannot be my laptop - it is just about the most high end laptop you can buy (quad core with 4 virtual cores - lots of ram) - does HitFilm take advantage of multiple cores? What is causing the massive lag? It's just that vegas and combustion and particle illusion and pinnacle studio pro, etc all work fine.
    I hate that I am going to have to wait to use this software AFTER you guys fix it (I need to use it NOW for projects requiring special effects).
    Mike
  • Still no noticeable improvements for us. Is there any way you guys would consider extending the upgrade period. I really think I want HitFilm but I'm really not interested in buying a work in progress. I love the concept and how it will work, but let's make that "will" and "is." Just a hope...
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited July 2011
    The files from your Sony camera are likely AVCHD. We are currently working on licensing issues relating to AVCHD audio, which is why you are not getting any audio from the native format.
  • karma - That laptop might have a high end CPU, but the 360M GPU is only a mid-range card and quite a bit slower than high-end mobile GPUs. Having said that, it should be able to run HitFilm pretty well.
    WMV is a terrible format and it is going to give you a massive performance hit, try using MPEG2 or MPEG4. While laptop hard drives are pretty slow, please make sure all your footage is stored locally rather then on the DSLR memory card or a networked drive which will both be very slow.
    The audio not working on mts files is not a bug, it is because we don't have a licence yet to use Dolby Digital audio as it is very expensive for us. We are currently working on this and hope to add support in the future.
    idomagic - I'm surprised you and karma have seen no speed increase, as far as we're aware many other users saw a significant increase in performance. Can you explain a little bit more about the origins of your footage, the specification of your machine, and what storage device you are using. Thanks :)
  • Hi Josh. I hope this helps you out.
    My 14 year old is also using a laptop. Intel i5 M480 at 2.67GHx. 4gb RAM. It has a 500GBHD and a Radeon HD2470M graphics card.
    Currently he's using native iPhone 3GS files so I assume non-HD quality. He says it is getting faster but I'll tell you compared to Sony Vegas 10, it's crawling. I've attached a small sample of the screen as it runs.
    He's begging me to let him upgrade but I am having issues with how HitFilm functions, letting him part with $250USD on software that is not really usable, is a tough decision for a dad.
    I look forward to you keeping everyone up to date.
  • idomaqgic - what is your son doing with the software when it is slow? Is it when he's simply playing the video on its own, or when he's using particles, or 3D compositing?

• idomaqgic - what is your son doing with the software when it is slow? Is it when he's simply playing the video on its own, or when he's using particles, or 3D compositing?

Playing video. No effects or compositing.
  • I will try other footage and see how the performance is. I have many cameras - one is a Canon Xh A1 - those files are hi-def 1920x1080i - i'll see how that runs.
    I also have kodak playsports which are hi-def, but I believe write to .mov files. I'll see how that goes as well and report back.
    Perhaps the 360M is not as robust as some of the newest video cards, but I can play almost ANY game (including Crysis2) at full res, full detail and it SCREAMS! Vegas Pro 10 also screams and renders so fast it's disturbing.
    I am DYING to see Hitfilm do the same. I think it's pure genius to combine true video editing with true 3D compositing and particle effects.
    Mike
  • Well, I am happy to be wrong.
    It turns out m2t footage (my Canon XH A1) plays perfectly - and that's pretty darn hi-res.
    The Playsports .mov files play back without incident.
    The Sony DSLR Nex-5 is having big problems - I guess it's because (1) it's AVCHD and (2) It's 60 FPS as compared to 30 FPS.
    I will start playing with HitFilm now.
    Obviously, stay away from AVCHD for now with HitFilm. I will try converting the AVCHD to M2T and see what happens.
    Mike
  • Awesome, glad your other footage is working a bit better for you. Keep us posted as to whether you run into any other issues. And as Tarn mentioned earlier, once we are able to get a license for AVCHD and actually support the footage, its performance should improve as well. But in the mean time, while it is unsupported, its performance is likely to be less than ideal.
  • AVCHD
    Unsupported
    I can only suggest that AVCHD better get their boots together pretty quick before they get left behind.
    HITFILM IS HERE.......NOW
    :)) :)) :))
  • Just a note: after the last update, the particle presets play back very smoothly. 100% difference for the better! Nice work!
  • AdyAdy Staff

Just a note: after the last update, the particle presets play back very smoothly. 100% difference for the better! Nice work!

Great stuff, glad things have improved for you.

• The files from your Sony camera are likely AVCHD. We are currently working on licensing issues relating to AVCHD audio, which is why you are not getting any audio from the native format.

Is there any more news about AVCHD footage importing with audio? I purchased HitFilm from SONY as it was a bundle with their Vegas11 release. I also use SONY camera. Sounds strange they cannot authorise AVCHD to you guys?
    BTW ~ Love the software but render is slow the only other downside but I read you are working on this so I will be patient. Cheers.
  • AVCHD is owned and controlled by Dolby Labs, so Sony doesn't have any input in the licensing. Sony has just licensed to use it, as we are working on doing.
  • We are making good progress on the Dolby audio issue. Sorry about the wait!
  • So that is the reason that it imports as offline footage :D No worries guys, your enthusiasm in listening and reaching out to the community has amazed not just myself, but the whole community. In the mean time as I am using the demo, I'll just use Sony PMB to convert the HD 1080p files to smaller Pal DV res MPEG files :D
    You nailed the features guys! You hit the nail on the head! All you have to do now is make them more performance efficient, which is becoming your speciality! Keep it up!
  • I think The MJpeg codec works best on Hitfilm. But there some quality differences. Can I edit the MJpeg codec and then render the AVCHD files?

• @Jayrim

This is a thread from 2011. If you have a specific question, please create a new topic :)

• Well, I see most comments are from 2011, now it is 2017 and it seems Hitfilm will never get usefull on performance, I do use some video editing software, including VideoStudio X10, Blender and others, My computer is an i7 4770 3.4 Ghz, 16 GB ram, and double NVidia GTX 460 , and even with small videos 720 it is really a pain to work with it. And by the way, in many aspects compared to other editors lacks lots of functionality which makes the programs more pratical to use. In the editor no use of the wheel mouse, in the trimmer no volume control, and so on, but anyways with so bad graphics performance we need to wait till quantum computers arrive to the market. Thanks

• @OscarUnique

The GTX 460 was released waaaaay back in 2010. It's a very old card with mediocre performance at this point.

"In the editor no use of the wheel mouse"

The mouse wheel is used. Hold down Ctrl to change the scale, and Alt to change the scroll offset.

"in the trimmer no volume control"

You can change the volume of your PC very easily. Is the lack of a software volume control really that big of an issue?

Sign in to comment