Rate the last film you watched

Comments

• Ghost Rider 2 - Good effects - fun movie - 7/10
    The Grey - Good pace, story and acting - 8/10
  • edited February 2012
    The Tree of Life: 10/10
    Another one that I'm going to need to watch again as soon as I can. This is a work of art; an extraordinarily complex piece that is naturalistic and abstract in equal measure. It wasn't anything like what I expected it to be, yet the trailer portrays it perfectly. It's almost like a slideshow in its presentation, and the editing is so fluid and dynamic, with some of the most amazing visuals I've seen (much like Enter The Void or The Fountain.) It must have taken ages to assemble. Modern masterpiece, blah blah blah. Watch it.
    Next day edit:
    Martha Marcy May Marlene: 9/10
    I'm on a roll here. I've watched three films over the last three days, and they've all been fantastic. In this one, Elizabeth Olsen plays a young woman who runs away from a cult and is staying with her estranged sister. The film jumps seamlessly back and forth between her memories of her time with the cult, and the present, where she's struggling with the memories and becoming increasingly more paranoid and confused. Olsen gives an excellent performance, and I think she's got a bright future. John Hawkes plays the cult leader, who is charismatic and charming, and really makes you believe that he could be indoctrinate people like this. Two really fantastic performances, and a very non-Hollywood representation of a cult with no cartoonishly evil leader or bloodletting or anything like that. It's a place where people who are lost in life can go to be part of an extremely weird and psychologically abusive "family". Uplifting! ;)
    An interesting thing to note about this film is that they intentionally underexposed all of their shots and pushed the film in post. It leads to the blacks never being quite black, and adds to Olsen's character's feeling that there's nowhere for her to hide. Really interesting approach, and it looks stunning. It's a very unsettling and often terrifying portrayal of paranoia. Definitely not for everyone (like Take Shelter and Tree of Life), but it's really beautiful, and haunting, and it's going to stick with me for sure.
  • John carter 7/10

SUPER FAST MONSTER PUPPYS ARE COOL
  • Once - 9/10
    Not much in terms of cinematography, but I was totally captivated by the story and songs.
    Tried to watch Tree of Life, but had to switch it off after 45mins. It just didn't gel with me, was going nowhere. According to all the reviews I've read it is meant to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but...not for me.
  • Crank: 8/10. Fun and over-the-top, unlike a lot of by-the-numbers action movies being made right now.
    Crank: High Voltage. 7/10. It's like the first, except turned up to 11. Really trippy and weird as well. Some characters were annoying though.
  • The Muppets: 9/10
    Absoloutly amazing. Going into this film I was cautiously optimistic, but still ready for them to crap on my childhood seeing what's been done with the remains's of Henson's estate before. Turns out, I really had nothing to worry about. This movie was brilliant, and was able to pull off it's shameless affection and respect for the source material while still allowing the new crew's style to shine through. The humor of Bret Mckenzie (one half of the Flight of the Concords) gives the music a perfect blend of warmth and hilarity. I had a discussion with my sister about this, because she loved it but said that it was very clear that Jim Henson's touch just wasn't on it anymore. I think thats something though that made it better- the memory of him was respected, but they wisely didn't try to so rigidly cut and paste his style until it lost any soul of it's own.
    Tintin: 10/10
    I can't believe I'm giving any movie a better review then Muppets, and perhaps if I saw it again I'd find something wrong with it...but MAN, this film blew me away. It's Motion Capture 3d done RIGHT. I've never been on board with the full mocap films before, because they always slipped into the uncanny valley in one way or another, but this one somehow didn't. And Somehow it held an impossible mixture of total photorealisim and a artistic simularity to the comic book Tintin that I still can't understand- but it worked. As for the plot, it is everything you love about action adventure films: chase scenes, comedy, over the top action that makes your jaw hit the floor. And every frame is a work of art.
    The Artist: 7.5/10
    Anyone who is interested in films- especially making them- should see this. It is brilliant study of a largely forgotten form. It's a great film to dissect and learn how you can move a story along without dialog. And their was dialog, make no mistake- they just used title cards like in the old days. They did it right the dialog, cut the sound and put up title cards. There are many times when you see words being spoken and their are no subtitles, but because they wrote the story for the format you can always tell whats going on anyway. That being said, I don't think as a whole this is one of the best movies ever made. The story, if charming, isn't particularly inspiring or clever, which is why I didn't rate this film any higher- but that doesn't detract from this film. It is one of the rare times that the novelty alone is so well done and even heartfelt that it alone is worth watching the movie for. The acting is inspired in that the cast pulls everything off so amazingly well and effortlessly that it never feels forced.
  • Yes, got to agree with Tintin - blew me away! And quite an apt description you got there ("And Somehow it held an impossible mixture of total photorealisim and a artistic simularity to the comic book Tintin that I still can't understand- but it worked."), totally agree with that
  • I missed out on many of the films i've wanted to see in cinemas recently, I'll have to right that wrong soon. I've just been watching a few films from my collection recently:
    LEON - 10/10 - I simply love this film, gripping from start to finish, well acted, well shot. If you haven't seen this film get it now!
  • The Woman In Black: 6/10
    Saw this last week, pretty good film. Radcliffe does a pretty good job in the lead role, must be the years of practice being scared of things that aren't there. Couple of genuine hair-raising moments, and if you jump as easily as I do, it will get you a few times (5 in my case).
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy 8/10 - exquisitely well crafted film. I love the portrayal of the spy hijinks as being a bunch of narcissistic men playing stupid games with each other. A nice change of tone from the usual Mission Impossible/Hunt for Red October/Bond/etc style.
  • I recently saw "Cowboys and Aliens.". I hated it. I felt like i was watching some cheezy 70'sthriller or something. Granted effects were great. But i was suprised at Harrison Ford. He went from playing super-awesome-like-a-boss Han Solo, to playing a grumpy old trigger happy grouch. I guess that makes him a good actor though. Basically, the movie is a group of "western" people walking through the desert having random encounters with aliens. That is, until the end, but i wont tell that.

• I recently saw "Cowboys and Aliens.". I hated it. I felt like i was watching some cheezy 70'sthriller or something. Granted effects were great. But i was suprised at Harrison Ford. He went from playing super-awesome-like-a-boss Han Solo, to playing a grumpy old trigger happy grouch. I guess that makes him a good actor though. Basically, the movie is a group of "western" people walking through the desert having random encounters with aliens. That is, until the end, but i wont tell that.

Best. Film. Review. Ever.
    It's not like theres a 35 year gap between Star Wars and Cowboys and Aliens, and it's not like Harrison Ford is 70 now, he clearly going to be running all over the place as if he was in his 30's again, time takes it's toll on everyone, even Indiana Jones, and the less said about recent entries to that, the better.
  • Okay...assuming that the first part of that was sarcasm, i know that there's a huge gap, but i just thought "oh Harrison Ford-Han Solo.". It'snot evem that i expected more from him, just the whole thing. I've never been a huge western fan, but i, no joke, almost fell asleep.
  • edited March 2012
    The Sitter: 3/10
    I'm not really sure what I expected from this, considering it was universally panned, but I watched it anyway. Jonah Hill is a funny guy, and he has some funny moments in this, but it's pretty typical Jonah Hill stuff. The plot is derivative and predictable and there are some completely forced love interests that have no place in the movie at all. Sam Rockwell is usually great, but he didn't have much to work with here.
    Completely forgettable in every aspect, but it wasn't an entirely terrible way to pass some time, as it did make me laugh on occasion.
  • edited March 2012

I recently saw "Cowboys and Aliens.". I hated it. I felt like i was watching some cheezy 70'sthriller or something. Granted effects were great. But i was suprised at Harrison Ford. He went from playing super-awesome-like-a-boss Han Solo, to playing a grumpy old trigger happy grouch. I guess that makes him a good actor though. Basically, the movie is a group of "western" people walking through the desert having random encounters with aliens. That is, until the end, but i wont tell that.

Wait... you're surprised at Harrison Ford playing a grumpy old guy? That's pretty much all he's done in recent years. Indy 4, Extraordinary Measures, Morning Glory, Cowboys and Aliens, etc. He does it awesomely, though. :)
  • He's been playing a grumpy old guy since the 90s at least.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator
    edited March 2012
    MY WIFE!

• The Sitter: 3/10

I agree. I managed to watch it through to the end but it wasn't very good. A giggle here and there but nothing more. Also, it completely knocks the film into a different dimension once you realise that those girls are supposed to be attracted to Jonah Hill...

Insidious - 7/10
    I actually really enjoyed this as a horror up until the last act where it lost it's grounding a little. It plays as a serious horror for the first 2 3rds of the film and then turns into something along the lines of Ghostbusters.
    I actually got a jump or 2 out of this, those sudden loud piano blasts didn't help! Definitely one to take a look at as far as horror films are concerned, made more so by the current quality of horror films we're getting recently.
  • [size="4"]GIVE ME BACK MY FAMILY![/size]
    Scott Pilgrim Vs the world - 7/10
    Fantastic style to the film, and some sharp writing and referencing - the film fell short of being laugh out loud funny, but moved fast and the visuals kept me hooked throughout. I enjoyed it.
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
    6/10
    I didnt see this in theaters, but i picked it up at Wal Mart last week. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I think part of it has do with the fact that i used to watch the cartoon all the time.

• Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked
    6/10
    I didnt see this in theaters, but i picked it up at Wal Mart last week. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I think part of it has do with the fact that i used to watch the cartoon all the time.

I pray everything about this- from the mediocre-but-still-high rating, proposed purchase of the film, and modest enthusiasm about it- is all one big, sick joke.
  • It WAS posted on April Fool's Day. But it was also posted by Azulon, who is the least ironic person around. So, mixed signals.
  • Midnight in Paris: 9/10
    I really liked the premise and the performances where all great. The only problem I had with it was the lead's mannerisms. I assume it happened as a result of Woody Allan's directing, but he totally picked up Woody Allan's way of talking, and it was far too noticeable (and really rather annoying)at the beginning, but eventually I got used to it and got over it. Overall it was great though. I highly recommend it.
  • edited April 2012
    Wrath Of The Titans 7/10
    Super fun, lots of crazy fighting and visually beautiful, but I do think it lacked the emotional involvement that it could have had. But whatever, It was an epic monster vs. human vs. god vs. human movie, and I liked It.
  • In Time 6/10 - bit of an odd one, this. It's absolutely packed full of great ideas and a fantastic central metaphor, but it feels very, very underdeveloped. The result is a bit of a mishmash and a film that doesn't really succeed in creating a believable world. I can't help but feel that a little longer in the script stage could have turned this into something special.
  • edited April 2012
    The Cabin in The Woods: 10/10
    To me, this is the pinnacle of meta-horror. Scream and its ilk know nothing of self referential theme subversion in comparison. The tagline for The Cabin in The Woods is, "You think you know the story", and I can't think of a better way to market this film. People in the row behind me sent one of their group out during the first scene to make sure they were in the right theater. It's very different, and I'd say it's the best horror film in years, simply because of how unique and individual it is. It's hilarious, intelligent, brutal, scary, and just a whole lot of fun.
    I don't want to give anything away, because knowing little will make the experience much greater. I'll just say that if you've seen the trailer, and you think you know the story, you're very, very wrong. Even though I had been informed of the premise on a whole before I went, it still kept me guessing all the way until the very end, which by the way, is one of my favorite film endings of all time.
    Go see it. It's a massive step forward for Drew Goddard, and I think it's going to be regarded as a classic much in the same way that Scream is.
  • edited April 2012
    Movies I've recently seen in theaters:
    Beauty & The Beast 3D
    Haywire
    The Grey
    Chronicle
    Safe House
    This Means War
    Wanderlust
    Act of Valor
    Project X
    John Carter
    Casa de mi Padre
    21 Jump Street
    Jeff, Who Lives at Home
    The Hunger Games
    Friends With Kids
    Mirror Mirror
    American Reunion

Highest Recommendations:
    The Hunger Games - Efficiently shot and edited (partly by Steven Soderbergh), expertly-directed.
    The Grey - A Liam Neeson powerhouse performance, and a surprisingly existential take on survivalists. A great, great film.
    21 Jump Street - A stylish, laugh-out-loud send-up of kitsch 80s cliches and self-effacing dialogue.
    Jeff, Who Lives at Home - A quietly entrancing, low-budget quirky comedy about brothers that don't fully connect with eachother. The ending catharsis is really the weight of memorability with this one. Really endearing.
    Chronicle - A creatively-shot, well thought-out portrait of 'anti-superheroes' and the best use of 'found footage' filmmaking I've yet to see.

If you're considering seeing any of them, and would like a more in-depth thought or opinion, I'd be happy to offer it. But I see way too much way too often to always schpeel out the last thing I've seen. (And getting to Blurays or rentals- oof, don't get me started. ;) )
    The Cabin In The Woods is a movie I've followed for quite a while, as well, Aculag- and its 'ZOMG-twist-ending' buzz for several years, combined with Drew Goddard helming it, has kept me interested- but I can't for the life of me find someone to go to it with, and am not in any capacity a fan of gore/horror/suspense films. But yeah, the stellar 92% on Rotten Tomatoes for a genre-blending film such as it is massively impressive.
    Now I just wish The Huffington Post and Village Voice hadn't ruined the twist by posting it in their main headlines of reviews for the film. :/
  • edited April 2012

Now I just wish The Huffington Post and Village Voice hadn't ruined the twist by posting it in their main headlines of reviews for the film. :/

Entertainment journalism! If it helps, though, I knew the ending long before I got to see it, and it still kept me guessing, and I still enjoyed it immensely.
    And don't worry, it's not THAT gory/scary. Even when it is, there's a good dose of comedy to lighten things up. I probably should have said that it's exciting, and thrilling, but not necessarily scary.
    I love that the Village Voice article says, "...an intricate design that makes the film nearly impossible to talk about without giving away surprises." Yeah, but you don't have to give away the very damn end in your first sentence. 8-|
  • edited April 2012
    Just realized between taking other people and concessions, I spent $109 in the past 12 days on the movie theater alone.
    Not related to anything- just- even for me, that's damn high.
  • Haha, that's crazy. There are programs for dealing with cinema addiction, I think. ;)

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment