Rate the last film you watched

Comments

•  Falling Skies (Complete Series) (8/10)

So I just got round to watching the final series of this show (Series 5), and I must say while there was the odd (ok a few) episodes along the way when you find yourself hitting the fast forward button, for the most part it was good solid sifi entertainment. The characters are strong and story for the most part worked. My only slight disappointment was the ending, (don't worry no spoiler here) it just felt weak to me. Anyway, if you have not seen it, worth a download or 2nd hand buy.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

I haven't done this in a while. Here's a scattershot of short (for me) reviews:

BvS: Terrible film. Grim, joyless, ugly, villain has no motivation, Bats and Supes spend the entire film being idiots. Wonder Woman is the best part of the film--and she's superfluous to the plot. Also, the movie abandons it's themes in favor of a CGI monster.

Based on BvS I have decided Kryptonians are actually plants. Supes is solar powered, seems to have no penis (based on Doomsday--the clone of Zod/Luthor), and, if you plant him in the ground, he re-grows.

Bottom line: Skip this. I'm told the "Ultimate" cut is "better," but I ask people who tell me this "Do you know Lex's motivation now?" They don't, so I don't care.

Civil War: Excellent film. Leavens the grim backdrop with humor. Villain actually has a motivation--it's a thin one, but at least he HAS one. Heroes spend much of the film being idiots, but at least the mistakes are character-based, and not totally random, unlike BvS. Movie actually remembers to keep it's themes for the entire film.

Bottom Line: This is certainly worth a watch, and, IMHO the 2'nd strongest Marvel Studios film to date. Right behind Winter Soldier.

X-Men: Apocalypse: I'm having trouble remembering this film two months later. It's very mediocre. Let's see. Angel is a pit-fighter, Angel is hurt, Angel has a bad haircut. Angel is dead. Quicksilver is Magneto's son and he's going to tell Magneto, then doesn't. Cyclops finds everyone costumes. Psylocke and Storm exist. Oscar Issac is wasted, and being able to see the brush lines in his makeup is distracting. Wolverine is in this movie to establish that he still has adamantium claws. Potentially interesting redemption plotline for Mystique is completely skimmed over. For some reason her last public appearance of trying to assassinate someone has made her a hero with the kiddies and the X-Men are cool with that, even though the entire last movie was stopping her? 

Visual effects teams needed a good talking to--Magneto's powers, one may recall, are manipulation of magnetic fields, because his name is Magneto. So, we have lovingly rendered shots of glass skyscrapers disintegrating and their debris flying up into the sky to follow the magnetic lines of force. Someone forgot that glass is a silicate, not a ferrous material. Same for the bathtub shown flying away. Seriously, guys, I don't care how cool you think it looks, stop having materials Magneto can't affect being effected. That aforementioned glass skyscraper flying away while the steel-cabled Golden Gate Bridge doesn't is really really bad. As long as we're picking on VFX, next time tell Fassbender to man up and wear the scrotum-pinching harness. All of his flying shots very obviously have him sitting in a harness under his thighs. This harness is pushing up his costume. It looks terrible. Actually, this movie doesn't look terribly good at most points.

Bottom Line: I suppose if you're a big X-Men fan you'll want to see it, but it's mediocre.

Independence Day: Resurgence: Aliens arrive. Stuff happens. Alien Queen--identified as the only one that thinks--exposes itself to danger?! Alien Queen dies. Alien ship leaves because I guess alien ships are programmed to go home it the one intellect aboard dies. Will Smith is dead before the start of the film, and Mrs. Will Smith dies in a laugh-out-loud funny sequence. This is wrong.

Bottom Line: Wait for home media release. Fast forward to Alien Ship landing. Then turn it off.

Finding Dory:  In Finding Nemo, I found Dory to be an annoying, stupid comic relief character. Finding  makes her a tragic hero. Being current Pixar, you'll cry in the first ten minutes, then again in the last ten minutes. The visuals are stunning, because it's Pixar!

Bottom Line: Any movie I see "under protest" starring a character I disliked in her first movie that makes me fall in love with said character I have to give my highest recommendation.

Star Trek Beyond: The first film in the reboot series that gets the characters right. Thank you Simon Pegg! (Sorry, but Kirk doesn't actually earn his chair in the first one, and Spock doesn't earn his "Khaaaaan!" in the second one) Plotline is fine--it's a very Trek story. There are some gorgeous visuals: Starbase Yorktown is a fantastic design, and the attack on Enterprise is beautifully staged.

Bottom Line: Worth a watch. Fun.

Ghostbusters (Answer the Call:  So--this movie took way too much hate before it came out from people who hadn't seen it. Guess what? It's good! The movie was made with a lot of love and respect for the original, while not totally aping the 1984 film.  Taken on it's own it's a fun romp with likeable characters. For my tastes I found the look of the ghosts to be a little too "clean,"but, oh well.

I am in love with Kate McKinnon who steals every shot she's in. Unfortunately for me, Ms. McKinnon is a lesbian, but Ms. McKinnon's gf is a lucky woman indeed to be attached to someone so smart, sexy and funny.... I guess I'll keep Tina Fey as my SNL crush.

Let's talk comparisons for a moment: How does this compare to the 1984 film? Honestly, I didn't laugh out loud as much in the remake. I smiled a lot, but didn't have as many belly laughs. This has almost nothing to do with the performances, but has a lot to do with the differences in production between 1984 and now.

The original has a lot of it's magic coming from Bill Murray and his ego. Venkman was written for John Belushi. John died. When Murray was asked, Murray did say he was gonna make up a lot of dialog, and it's Murray who demanded that Venkman get the girl. On set, Murray, Ackroyd and Ramis had a lot of freedom to improvise, and the studio more-or-less left Ivan Reitman alone to edit his cut. This gives the original a very anarchic feel.

The remake--well, it's 2016 and you had a lot more studio interference. The actors had to stick more to script (hampering the improv skills of some very funny women). There were re-shoots after the first trailer, and you can spot that scene: It's the one where the Ghostbusters go online, read you actual Youtube comments on the trailer, then dismiss the haters. We didn't need that scene, and I wonder what character work or story development was cut to insert that scene. It's a well done movie, but, no, it doesn't quite have the anarchy and danger of the original. Again, this isn't a reflection on the cast, writers and director, this is just the realities of studio films in 2016.

Bottom line: This film is a successful reboot, hampered by bad buzz from a bunch of people who decided they weren't going to like it, because women. Give it a go.

Batman: The Killing Joke:  This DC Animated Feature is based on the Graphic Novel of the same name. It's the closest thing to a canonical origin for the Joker (up to 2016, when DC comics pulled something else into the story....). It's not a fun exciting romp, but a dark, twisted disturbing story. It's controversial for it's violence and sadism, and the film adaptation adds a new level of controversy. The Killing Joke was a 48 page Graphic Novel, which isn't enough for a full feature, so the movie features a 25 minute prolog. Effectively, the film is two shorts: "Batgirl's Last Case," and "The Killing Joke." The prolog is thematically similar to the main story, but, tonally, very different. As a minor editing note, I think the title card (which appears at the end of the film) should have gone between the prolog and main story. The title card would have separated these two stories for the audience and made the tonal shift less jarring.

The additional controversy? This prolog is a Barbara Gordon/Batgirl story intended to add depth an context to Barbara's character. Thematically it's similar to KJ, but tonally different. Right now reviews are divided. Some people think the prolog adds to Barbara, others think it undercuts her. Many are pissed off that (SPOILER) Batman and Batgirl have sex. Personally I like the prolog and think it successful. Batman: The Animated Series and Batman Beyond have set precedent for me for a sexual Batman/girl relationship. I'm fine with that.

This is an ugly, ugly story, people--it's one of Joker's most truly horrifying plans. He's sadistic, vile, and creepy as all hell. It's not for the kids. Mark Hamill rises to the material and provides his best turn yet as Joker. Kevin Conroy brings his A-game, and Tara Strong's Batgirl is more nuanced than her usual (excellent) work. The animation has to simplify Brian Bolland's original art, but get the feeling right.

Bottom Line: If you think you can handle a truly disturbing Batman Psychodrama, this is a must-watch.

• Star Trek Beyond: 7/10

Not as good as the last two, in my opinion. I quite like the art/design of these reboots, and they are fairly enjoyable as light-hearted action flicks. The sci-fi element this time is a little stronger, but the plot revolves around the same few events every time, and that's getting a bit tired.

Jason Bourne: 6/10

I really enjoyed the first three Bourne films, they were neat, well-contained and focused on what they were good at - punchy fights between super-agents and car chases, with a tiny bit of spy stuff. Ignoring the Jeremy Renner one (because I can't remember what happened), we come to the new film, with Matt Damon returning. The action is weaker, there's a distinct lack of peril, and the big conspiracy thing is meh. Anyone who knows even a little bit about computers and the Internet will find ample opportunities to cringe at daft technofail.

• gonna resurrect this old thread to suggest that you all see..

Arrival: 9/10
    This is excellent. Probably the best film I’ve seen all year (and I’ve seen a few). Emotive, intelligent sci-fi, with solid but not over-the-top effects. Great performance from Amy Adams too.

A few other recent films:
    - Allied: 8/10 - Really good, definitely connected with the characters.
    - Fantastic Beasts: 7/10 - Way better than I was expecting, excellent visual effects.
    - The Accountant: 6/10 - Started off promising, then degenerated into meh.

• @Triem23 I have to say you are spot on in your breakdowns of those movies. I have not cared at all for the Zack Synder muddying of the DC Universe characters at all.  The last two movies I have seen are Doctor Strange (which as a fan going back to his first appearance in comics was most excellent) and Fantastic Beasts (mainly because it 1) looked like it was aimed at a more mature crowd and 2) for the VFX, of course) which I liked overall but was a bit confused and offput by Redmayne's dropping his eyes or looking away all the time almost as if he was shyly coquettish around the other characters.

@DanielGWood For my part, I mostly go to the cinema to see the big, VFX heavy movies or other SciFi genre movies in 3D since they have really perfected that since the 50's.  I have found that movies in space are really well suited to 3D and waited for DVD to see Ender's Game simply because they didn't release it in 3D with those beautiful space battle scene.  The stuff I might be interested in other than those like The Accountant or Allied, I just wait for home release.

• Doctor Strange was quite fun, I enjoyed that! A little bit different from other Marvel stuff (magic and bendy stuff rather than guns and punching), and it was funny too.

A few of us in the office here have Odeon Limitless, where you pay a monthly fee for unlimited cinema visits. You end up seeing a lot more films and a bit more variety, since it isn't costing you £11+ each time (assuming you go more than twice a month anyway!)

• @DanielGWood   I'm not familiar if there's a similar type program here in the states but I will surely look into it.  Cinemark is the only theatre chain within 50 miles of me, so it should be easy to research.   And yes, I would probably see more in theatre with something like that.

• I'm gonna join in the film-reviewing fun... 

-Doctor Strange: 8/10 - I enjoyed this. I especially like the fact that the big showdown at the end didn't involve a superhero punch-up and instead the villain is outsmarted. 

-Arrival: 10/10 - It really is that good. Totally blew my mind. 

-NW: 8/10 - (Don't know if this counts, since it's a TV movie...) Saw this on a whim. Didn't regret it. One of the characters in particular really got inside my head...

• Arrival: This is my pick for best film of the year (obviously only including what I've actually seen). It's that most rare of all things--a sci-fi film that's actually smart (we get one of those a year if we're lucky... Things like "Moon," or "Gravity," or "The Martian." NOT "Interstellar."). It's beautifully shot, wonderfully restrained, has an act three twist that got a reaction of, "That's eff'd up" from my lovely wife, and it's something that shows that Amy Adams is actually a really good actress.

Trolls: I am older than five, therefore I hated this film. Actually, that's unfair, since a lot of my favorite movies are "kids" animated films, but this one is just really terrible. I'll give it up to the texture artists for doing some beautiful felt texturing, but I really really really hated the movie. I spent the entire movie hoping the evil monsters would just eat the Trolls, dreading the moment until the one character in the movie that wasn't useless was ruined by the rest of his tribe. Dreamworks is supposed to be better than this crap. Bring on "Boss Baby," and "How to Train your Dragon 3."

Kubo and the Two Strings: Beautiful animation from Laika--total technical overkill for designing a character with some 43 million facial expressions! Great storyline--in some ways thematically similar to Trolls (I shan't expound here. No spoilers), but without being insultingly stupid. This movie wrings out some genuine dread and genuine emotion.

Moana: Another gorgeously animated film. Maui's mythology is cleaned up a little bit for the kids (in the movie, Maui tries to gain immortality for humanity by taking a magic stone from the bosom of an island goddess. In actual mythology, Maui decides to enter the earth goddesses vagina and crawl through her body to emerge from her mouth to gain immortality), but remains true to the source myths, while, again, actually managing to be funny, touching and not insultingly stupid.

Rogue One: No, I haven't seen it yet. I've already seen "The Magnificent Seven" this year... I'll catch it next week. I'm told from others who have seen it that 100% of my predictions for the movie are correct, and since I was calling things from character motivations through actual scene and beat order, well... It will be predictable as hell, but it should look pretty.

Hacksaw Ridge: Takes some liberties with the truth of the events--what else is new in a "based on a true story" film?--, but, again, wonderfully made. Probably only getting wide release in the USA since it's one of those "America was awesome in WWII" films, but if you can catch it, well, picture a war movie about a conscientious objector who joins the military to be a medic, but absolutely refuses to touch a weapon. A little exaggerated, but a story about a true hero.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them:

https://c8.staticflickr.com/1/701/31775460255_70b0fc1677_b.jpg

• edited December 2016

Arrival (2016) - 10/10.

It is the best movie concept ever, and the scientific concepts it incorporates are truly awe-inducing to think about. The added drama aspect gives meaning to the concepts and makes the audience feel a sense of empathy for the characters.

Might I add, it is directed by a three-time award winner and an award-winning screenwriter as well. I highly suggest you go watch the film, and if not, at least read up on it.

• Rogue One: 9/10

I loved it. An excellent film even without the Star Wars elements - so if you find someone who's never seen any Star Wars film, but likes action/war films, they'd still enjoy it I reckon. At the same time it fits brilliantly into the SW universe, and sets up for Star Wars/Episode IV almost flawlessly.

The characters are surprisingly interesting, the set pieces great, and the visuals are mostly excellent (although as Josh pointed out, you feel at times it didn't have the budget of The Force Awakens). Apparently the lead actor is a bit "marmite", but I was on the "love" side of it, so no worries for me. It's also darker than other SW films, which adds a little realism and helps you feel for the characters, IMO.

The only let downs are minor - the lead character's arc is a little odd, and the first twenty minutes of the film, while there are some nice shots, skips about a bit too much for me.

• Rogue One:

Overall I enjoyed the movie, but I felt the first third (40 min or so) seemed a bit slow.  So much so that I found myself checking the time surreptitiously.  I did like the way it was tied into the original with certain characters, but was a bit confused still after all these years as to who exactly are the "...many Bothan spies died to bring us these plans..."  Some of it was a little bit expected; sort of like Titanic where you go in knowing the outcome, but it was enjoyable.  I guess you could say with the current trend in Hollywood these days it was Star Wars: Episode 4 - Part 1 because you could definitely cut the two together without a jarring of the senses.

• @tddavis "Bothans" are the ones who retrieved the Death Star II plans in Episode VI. *shrug*

Different group of spies. 

• @DanielGWood that's what I wanted to hear... now I have an excuse to go and see it. (I have been sitting on the fence about this one for a while, especially after Triem23's comment about it being predictable...)

@Triem23 I was gonna post a review/comment about "fantastic beasts" but you pretty much said it all already :)

• @Triem23  Aha!  So I was misremembering where the line came from that clears that up a bit then.

• Triem's not wrong about the predictability to be fair. It's like tddavis said - you kinda know the overall outcome, if you're familiar with the first Star Wars movie and make a few inferences. With Rogue One though, I don't think the predictability matters :)

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator
    edited January 11

"Hidden Figures"

Freakin' brilliant!  When I wasn't totally pulled into the film I wondered, "Who directed this?"   I was surprised to find it was Theodore Melfi whose last film was "St. Vincent" starring Bill Murray (a film I haven't seen but might be inclined to now).

The backdrop, of course is NASA pre-Mercury capsule days, but the relationship of the characters and the circumstance of segregation right in the middle of an American triumph puts these themes on a collision course.  And it is handled very well without being heavy handed.

It's been quite a while since I've seen a film that received a round of applause at the end from the audience who had no axe to grind but were there just to see a movie.

• @Stargazer54 Oh good, I've been looking forward to that one!

A Monster Calls: 7/10

This film is extremely tragic. Kicks you right in the feels, over and over. It's compelling though, and great performances from all the cast. Visually impressive too.

edited January 11

Rogue One (SPOILERS AHEAD)

It's pretty.The VFX are up to expected standards for a big-budget movie in 2016. That's about the only nice thing I'm going to say.

Everything I predicted would happen in Rogue One happened in Rogue One, and I predicted the major plot beats and the exact same two scenes that ended the movie on it's announcement. Predictability is boring in a movie.

"But it's a prequel!" I hear you say, "It hits all the beats it has to hit!"

"Yes," I reply, "But let's go back to the 1990's when the television show "Babylon 5" was running. See, B5 did a prequel movie between seasons 4 and 5 covering the Earth-Minbari War that happened 10 years before the events of the first season. Much of the Earth-Minbari War had been explored already, and the prequel movie hit all of those points--the tragic error that started the war, Delenn's anger leading to her casting the tie-breaking "kill them all" vote, the death of Ganya Inanov, Shieridan's battle with the Drala-Fi (Black Star), Franklin's arrest, the Battle of the Line... All those previously established events were covered... BUT, there was an entire subplot about a previously unknown to the viewer peace mission--a secret meeting between influential Earthforce officers and Minbari rangers to find common ground, set up by the Narn--and how Centauri Ambassador Londo Mollari mistakenly believed (bad intelligence) this was a weapons deal between the Narns and Earth. Mollari dispatched a Centauri cruiser to shoot up this meeting, killing the Minbari representatives. This action destroyed hope of an early peace and directly led to the war continuing for another two years. This subplot gave new information that actually changed and illuminated the backstories of both the B5 universe in general, and several characters, particularly Londo Mollari. In short, it was a prequel movie that had some surprises in it, and wasn't a completely predictable and forgettable movie.

So, Rogue One, boring, predictable, didn't give on quantum of damn for any character in the movie, except maybe Donny Yuen's space Zatoichi.

I'm told Forrest Whittaker's character would be super-cool and super-important if I'd watched Rebels, but, as it is, Forrrest Whittaker isn't supposed to suck. he was really really bad.

It's completely superfluous to the rest of the saga--the "revalation" of "sabotage" is, frankly, stupid... See, in pretty much any system "Destroying the main reactor" would "take the system offline." Because, duh. As far as the Thermal Exhaust Port being "sabotage." I direct the reader to do any basic research into nuclear reactors and power plants... See, if there is some sort of major cooling failure, or any system error that causes heat build up in a real-world reactor, there is a flush system--a thermal exhaust port--to vent heat. Hell, the entire climax of the movie Passengers was about opening the door to the thermal exhaust port. Given that the Death Star is over 900 miles in diameter, according to Wookiepedia--a 450 mile long shaft to the reactor makes for pretty damn poor sabotage. This doesn't illuminate the previous mythos in any way. The thermal reactor port has always made perfect sense in context, and it's always worked better as a design flaw. Why not put a cover on it? It's a 2-meter wide shaft, 450 miles long... Did anything actually think anyone would shoot down it? No! It makes the attack plan a testament to a brilliant and desperate group of Rebel researchers working under the time constraints of "They're coming to kill us right now, and why the hell did the Princess lead them here if she already figured she was being tracked?" This retcon of the thermal exhaust port being "sabotage" is !@#*ing stupid.

The final battle over planet Scarface is a continuity destroying mess: Ready, here we go... Jyn Erso has absolutely zero dialog that indicates the message she beams out with the Death Star plans is a targeted, narrow beam transmission. In fact, the character say they are going to beam the plans to the universe. That means the transmission of Death Star plans was a general wide broadcast that absolutely every ship in orbit picked up. This means that absolutely every Rebel ship involved in the battle was destroyed or captured except for the Tantive IV. This ALSO means that Red and Gold leaders disengaged from that battle and ran back to Yavin IV (so they could be in A new Hope) before the plans were broadcast, abandoning their comrades in arms during a firefight like cowards. This is the only logical interpretation of that battle given the information the audience was given in the dialog and action on-screen. Any other result, any other ship escaping, destroys the entire need for the original movie. Also, when the Rebel Hammerhead cruiser pushed a damaged Star Destroyer completely through an undamaged Star Destroyer, I officially stopped caring about the movie at all, because that was #@#$ing stupid.
    The timeline for the battle over Scarface is a bit of a mess as well. See, well before the Rebel fleet blasts off to battle, Jimmy Smits (Bail Organa) says he'll take the Tantive IV back to Alderaan and pass it off to Leia. Yet, while the fleet is taking off from Yavin IV, C3PO and R2D2 appear in an uttely pointless cameo, other than reminding the audience they exist, standing in the Yavin Base launch hanger. Besides being a pointless cameo, it does this to the timeline--Bail Organa has not left Yavin IV at the time the Rebel fleet leaves for Scarface. Therefore, Bail Organa leaves AFTER the Rebel fleet (remember, R2 and 3PO are on Tantive IV as the beginning of A New Hope), takes a detour to Alderaan in a completely different star system, passes the ship over to Leia while briefing her on what happens, then Leia takes the ship back into the battle over Scarface, and flies through a firefight to secretly dock with the command cruiser of Admiral Not-Ackbar? Absolutely not. Even in a science fantasy movie where bacterium in your blood gives one magical powers, this is beyond suspension of disbelief. It's #@#$ing stupid.

On the other hand the Empire did one smart thing--they obviously saved credits on the Death Star by not bothering to install any targeting systems on the main superturbolaser array. Hey, when you blow up planets, you don't really need to aim at all! Still... "Hey, what's that dish on top of the main complex?" followed later on by "Target that complex, single reactor discharge." Well... the Death Star manages to completely miss the targeted complex, although, somehow, the beam backwash manages to shear off the messaging dish (this is @*&;#$^ing stupid), but, yeah, that beam hit well over the horizon from the designated target. That's a complete miss by the Death Star. Of course that gives Jyn Erso and some guy whose name I don't remember to have one last hug on a poorly greenscreened beach just before the reshoot money runs out. That scene, by the way, was *@#&;#$ing stupid. I suppose it explains why earlier in the movie the Death Star parks so close over it's target Jedi Temple that the Death Star is within the blast radius of its own weapon, because putting yourself within the blast radius of your own weapon is #*@#$ing stupid.

So, yay. EPII had Death Star plans and designs as a cameo. EPIII had a Death Star cameo. EP IV and VI had a Death Star. EP VII had a Death Star (a rose by any other name smells as sweet and a round ball that destroys planets is either a Death Star or Unicron, and that was no Unicron) and Rogue One was all about the damn Death Star. Six of eight live-action Star Wars movies have a Death Star, and I'm utterly sick of Death Stars. There's a galaxy to explore, so please, no more (@#&;$ing Death Stars, ever.

The one and only thing Rogue One did correctly was focusing on people who weren't Jedi or Skywalkers or even related to Jedi or Skywalkers. Still, if you're a Star Wars fan, honestly, you don't miss anything by missing Rogue One. Nothing at all.

And I don't give one iota of @&;#^ about a young Han Solo movie, a young Boba Fett movie, another Obi-Wan movie, or a Yoda movie, or any of these other superfluous side stories Disney has planned. I can barely care about Episode VII.

There are only three good Star Wars movies, and you can't see those anymore, unless you've hoarded an old VHS or the 2004 DVD release. Believe me, I could go on and on for a lot longer about everything I disliked about Rogue One (Be on the lookout for a lot of armor and ship designs you'll never see again, but will make great toys), but, I won't. See below for discussion of a film that was good.

edited January 11

Hidden Figures Man, everything @Stargazer54 said and more! We can assume liberties were taken with reality in order to better pace the lives and events for a movie, but it's a good space program movie, it's a good civil rights movie, it's a good women in science movie, it's just a good movie. It's well shot, it's well paced, it's well acted, it's just well put together, and, worthy of all the accolades it's received.

Go watch it. If you haven't seen Rogue One, skip Rogue One and go watch this instead. @KirstieT since you were so happy about Ghostbusters being all women-in-sciencey, you go watch this twice. :-)

• John Wick 8/10 OK do it was a classic gun run film with little else but it was shot well and some cool scenes, I was entertained and enjoyed it. Worth a watch rating = Yep time not wasted.

• Sherlock The final Solution : OK so some people didn't like this, not me Freaking loved it. A lot of back stuff here, if you aren't a fan some of this episode will just not work (some reviews elsewhere) but for me it worked. Best moment watching Moriarty step of the Helicopter, that was a SUPER GRIN moment.

• La La Land  7/10
    Being a fan of more action-oriented films I went into this film without jumping aboard the hype-train and not really knowing what to expect. The only preparation I'd done was to briefly watch a short trailer on my phone before hand.

All in all I really did enjoy this film. With a good amount of surreal musical theatrics overlaying a realistic portrayal of life, it's hard not to get drawn into the storyline.

The story follows two people in LA who are striving to follow their dreams in two different creative fields; music and acting. After meeting you see the couple go through various stages of emotion which are fantastically portrayed by Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. It'll have you laughing and potentially crying...and will also make you leave with a new appreciation for jazz.

I don't want to go into spoilers but would certainly recommend this film to everyone, even if you don't think it's quite your cup of tea!

• edited March 14

SPY 8/10 : So I picked up Spy for £2.99 as it was on my watch if it was cheap list. Well blow my socks off with a hair drier on maxium burn, I liked it. It was fun full of humor that worked and did what you hoped it would do. The directing was good and I liked some of the cool shots, the VFX was solid too. So if your bored and want a fun ride, you could do no better than to give this movie a go.

PS: Plus for any Jason Stratham fans he does a great job at playing a bad ass talking super spy that is just that, all talk.

The Great Wall

Ah, it's a bad time to release this movie--it got slammed in the US for months before its opening: Lefties tarred the film as cultural appropriation assuming it was a movie about a Westerner being inherently superior to an Asian, and Righties feathered the movie as China-is-awesome propaganda.

Surprise! It's neither!

"The Great Wall" is a fun action/monster movie. Does Matt Damon's character get to save the day? Actually, yes, he does--not because of his inherent awesomeness, but because he happens to have a technically superior bow (historical fact, the English longbow is the most powerful bow before modern composites), happens to have the McGuffin, and happens to have one piece of information the defenders of the wall don't. However, Matt's character certainly isn't the one holding the moral high ground in the film. And, after Matt saves the day, he gets saved by the girl!

Another complaint is that some of the action scenes are a bit silly--this from people who think "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" is a masterpiece. Look, if you can deal with two warriors bouncing off the tops of trees while swordfighting, then you can handle the "bungie squad" on top of the wall...

The art direction is fantastic, the sets are amazing, the creature designs are incredible, and the overall film is just a lot of fun--there's one scene with Matt and a chain that hits my "oh, COME on!" button, and don't bother trying to figure out what accent Matt's doing because it's really really terrible, but this was one of the films I saw "under protest" and it was a good time.

• Rouge One: Star Wars 8/10

Finally got to watch this recently and as you can see from my score I was not disappointed, had the look, feel and story that worked for me. I enjoyed it and felt satisfied with how things went. Sure a couple of times I felt the dialogue could of been tighter, at least twice when the rebels are attacking the squadron chatter felt like lines where being said just so that actor had a line in a StarWars movie.

I thought the final look and grade of the movie was spot on, and the scene flying through the planet eruption was very cool.

• Well since this thread is back, I literally just finished re-watching

Hot Fuzz: 10/10

An absolute classic.

Anyone who hasn't seen this? You're missing out.

• @JMcAllister spot on with that rating, this was absolutely the sauce on the Corneto that the boys wanted to create. Loved lock and load scene. Have you seen the TV series SPACED if not a must watch, especially if your aged between 35-45 captures that vibe of the 80/90 really well.

• *resurrects thread*

Spider-Man: Homecoming: 9/10

A brilliant superhero film. The tone is great, the scale is right, and Peter Parker is well cast - he's actually a socially inept nerd at last. Waaaaaaayy better than the Andrew Garfield versions, and even better than the Tobey Maguire trilogy. Seriously, watch it.

Dunkirk: 9/10

In a totally different way this is also excellent. It's harrowing from start to finish, as you'd expect given the subject matter (which it doesn't shy from or sugar coat). An honest war film, which is also stunningly shot - IMAX is worth it this time. One criticism is the editing style - the non-chronological chronological-ness is maybe a bit distracting.

• edited August 30

Batman return of the caped crusaders 7/10

This is a DC animation and brings the orginal 60's cast back to the screen but instead of watching Adam West zimmer frame (I'm sure he's more spritly than that) around, they have voice acted all the parts over animation and it works really well. Yes the Boy Wonder sounds a little bit too old at times and Cat Women has lost a little bit of her smooth tones but it's fun and a return to the silly times when there was a BAT spray or potion for just about anything. My only complaint was they didn't have the classic voice over at the dramatic moments "Will Batman and Robin escape this feenish caper!" and also the use of the BAT logo to spin in and out between major cuts, that was also missing.

Anyway, if you liked the orginal 60's Batman and need a break from the darker dark knight, then give this a try.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment