Rate the last film you watched

Comments

• The Imitation Game: 9/10

For me, it's always about the story.  While we can never know exactly how much of a biographical sketch is fact vs. fiction, there is enough documentation of the primary storyline to make the movie compelling. 

I can't determine with any accuracy how closely the side story of his friendship and engagement to Joan Clarke may or may not have matched real life, but as a plot device it succeeded in helping to humanize a man who could seem otherwise disinterested and aloof.

Benedict Cumberbatch is perfectly cast as the awkwardly intelligent and unintentionally intense leading role and Keira Knightley plays the part of Clarke adeptly.  By this point, you've probably already heard how their Enigma project helped to defeat Hitler, but the details are interesting, the questions of law, morality, and fairness will give you pause, and the performances ultimately do the story justice.

If you have any interest in computer science and artificial intelligence, I think you'll enjoy this film about a man who is often credited with the paternity of both.

• edited March 2015

Horrible Bosses 2 -  7/10 funny like the original

Big Hero 6 - 7/10 actually pretty good cg movie. No singing a bonus. :)

• edited March 2015

FURY  5/10  boring

The Maze Runner 7/10 too predictable but good pace.

• John Wick (2014): 7/10

This is a silly film, but it's entertaining, and the fight sequences (approximately 90% of the film) are pretty well done. Lots of bendy punchy stuff and something that's apparently called Gun-Fu.

• 2/10 - The Double

I don't think many people know this film exists. I was talked into watching this by a friend because it was directed by Richard Ayoade, who also directed Submarine which was supposed to be quite good. This one was supposed to be a psychological thriller where one guy is really geeky and quiet and unable to interact with society, but then his double shows up and starts dating the girl she likes and taking his job. 

The cinematography was kind of nice and it certainly had some interesting shots but none of the characters were likeable (the main character was boring as hell) and the plot was so abstract that there was absolutely no following it. I had no idea what was happening. Neither did my friend. 
    I think they tried to do a Fight Club but failed massively by making it TOO weird. Not good!

• 8/10-NightCrawler

Jake Gyllenhaal - Bill Paxton - Rene Russo

I found myself coming into this with a pre-defined notion of what this was going to be. As the story unfolds I found myself surprised and entertained. Gyllenhaal does a good job of taking command of  the screen with his character. At times I found myself wanting more in the way of development. There are a couple odd scenes where if you haven't guessed/realized the plot for the scene you have to brain dead.  But they are fun to watch unfold. 

The finish for this film was rather open ended giving me the impression there may be a NightCrawlerII.

It kept me awake and I found Gyllenhall  to be a 1/2 way descent psychopath.

• Robocop (2014): 6/10

Meh. Too many plotholes that kept me thinking about its plausibility for too long. Unlikeable main character.

That being said, Gary Oldman did a pretty good job, most of the action is great and the VFX are top notch. Seeing just a head with naked lungs attached breathing and speaking was unexpected, but very well excecuted.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Star Trek Continues (Webseries) 

No numerical rating. This is for the fans of the classic, the original, the Shatneriffic, Nimoytastic, 60's Trek. 

Full-episode fanfilms. Star Trek New Voyages/Phase II is good, too, but... 

Ok, once you get past it being different actors, it's really spooky guys. The costumes, the sets, the lighting, staging, pacing, cinematography, editing, production design is perfect. It feels like a fourth season Star Trek episode remastered for Blu-Ray. This is a true work of love and reverence.

Stories include

Michael  Forrester reprises his role as Apollo from "Who Mourns for Adonis." What befalls a god with no worshippers or refuge? Grab some tissues. 

Kirk is caught between Starfleet Orders and his own conscience in a tale of the Orion Confederacy. Get more tissues. 

Goatee Spock vs Evil Kirk! Damn, I do have to give it up for the Spock actor. 

Chris Doohan as Scotty does his Dad proud. 

Grant Imihara from MythBusters is earnest, but trying too hard. 

Nice double Easter Egg of Mirina Sirtis as the Enterprise computer... As Troi... Majel Barret would approve... 

Lou Ferigno! Painted Green! 

J. J. Abrahms can suck it, I'm gonna donate to these guys and spend my Trek cash on some Trek!  

• Here! Here!  (tapping pub table)

Actually it is kind of creepy.  They have the look down, the lighting down, and the effects are on par.  But the actors (and no fault of their own) don't always jive. 

You almost wish the money was there to take the Abram's movie reboot  crew and put them back on the original E.

• Big Hero 6

With all the heart and humor audiences expect from Walt Disney Animation Studios, BIG HERO 6 is an action-packed comedy adventure that introduces Baymax, a lovable, personal companion robot, who forms a special bond with robotics prodigy Hiro Hamada. When a devastating turn of events catapults them into the midst of a dangerous plot unfolding in the streets of San Fransokyo, Hiro turns to Baymax and his diverse group of friends -- adrenaline junky Go Go Tomago, neatnik Wasabi, chemistry whiz Honey Lemon and fanboy Fred -- who transform into a band of unlikely heroes. Bring home Disney's BIG HERO 6, featuring comic-book-style action and hilarious, unforgettable characters -- it's fun for the whole family!

• Chappie: (Good!) - This had some very ordinary reviews, but we liked it.

Not really sure what the problem was for others as we were all entertained for the duration. Great robots, funny in spots, unexpectedly violent in others (only if you haven't seen District 9) and we were talking about the themes afterwards. That ticks most the boxes for an entertaining movie for me.

Don't get me wrong, plot holes galore! More and more as I think about it, but that didn't bother me at the time. (Cinema Sins would have field day with some of this.)

I believe that Neill Blomkamp is doing the next Alien movie and I don't mind that all. He has a nice savage feel to his action scenes that should suit that movie well.

The biggest problem with Chappie, my daughters and I had, was Hugh Jackman's accent. Being Australian, we are not at all used to hearing ourselves on the big screen. One of my girls started repeating Hugh's lines to herself to confirm it sounded the same! (Of course I realise he was turning it up a bit!)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@fredclips Isn't Hugh Jackman Australian? I guess we're all so used to his fake American accent...

Why, there's Aussie accents in film and TV all the time! There's "Crocodile Dundee," and "Crocodile Dundee 2," and... Um...  Ok, Hollywood doesn't use Aussies often. ;-) 

• @Triem23  Hugh is Aussie of course! but he doesn't speak with our accent very often. Lots of American stuff I guess. (Although isn't Wolverine Canadian?)

And, yes, even with lots of Australian's working in movies they never sound anything like us!  (I'm looking at you Thor!) Then, when they suddenly do, it stands out.

Don't get me wrong, we really don't mind! It is the TERRIBLE fake Australian accents that confuse me. I didn't realise the father and son in Pacific Rim were supposed to be Aussie. (I actually didn't realise at all, it didn't sound anything like it).

The worst I can remember is a small recurring character on the TV show LOST. A woman was playing Clair's mother. I'm sure she was trying to copy Crocodile Dundee. It was painful to hear.

• edited March 2015

Gone Girl- 8/10 

With some face blushing scenes you wouldn't want to see with your mom in the room, this story had a great twist. Perhaps a tad on the long side, it held my attention and kept me guessing as to what was going to happen next. A friend of mine watched it with me and she said the movie is very close to the book so if you read the book, apparently you won't be disappointed by this feature.

fredclipsTriem23 - I know you're referring to the Aussi accent but how could you forget Mel Gibson, Naomi Watts, Heath Ledger, Russell Crow, Nicole Kidman or Errol Flynn?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! CRIKEY!  ;^)

I'll concede on Clair's mother. Bad accent.

• Avengers: Age of Ultron - Good

Just got back from this with daughter number 2. She did complain that it was school night, but I then explained that I wasn't going on my own... I think she gave up at that point. (I had her home by 11pm)

Anyway, movie good. Hulk was great again as expected (but I do understand why it's hard to do a stand alone Hulk movie). Not sure the story hung together that well... there was a lot going on. But honestly... it was just fun and easy to watch.

But my biggest problem is the trailers for this... FFS stop showing so much in the trailers and teasers. This was the Avengers 2, people are going to see it, you don't need to show everything before we get in the cinema. So many parts have been spoiled before you get in there. It just bugs the crap out of me. (Nothing as bad as the Hulk catching Iron Man shot from the first movie thankfully)

• Argh! The Hulk catch from Avengers 1 was so annoying, because it was not only a cool individual moment spoiled, but it also meant that you inherently KNEW that Iron Man was going to get back without any problems, because that shot hadn't happened yet.

Same with the destruction of the helicarriers in Winter Soldier - while there was a ton in that film that was still fresh, the helicarrier destruction would have been a pretty big moment.

Guardians of the Galaxy did a much better job, as I recall. The films I've enjoyed most recently, though, - Ex Machina and Birdman - I enjoyed specifically because I knew nothing about them. The blockbusters get such blanket coverage these days that isn't very, very difficult to avoid stuff.

While I'm here:

RIDDICK 5/10

I expected to love this. Pitch Black is a favourite, and Chronicles of Riddick is a guilty pleasure. The Butcher Bay computer game is AMAZING (better than the films?). So I'm kind of a secret fan of Riddick in general.

But the Riddick movie was very uneven. Great individual sequences, but messy overall. Some really primitive, male-gaze handling of a supposed lesbian character.  An entire cute sequence of Riddick and his pet dog, which really doesn't work if you don't like dogs.

The opening survival phase is great, though. And the sequence of Riddick taking out the mercs one by one, in which Riddick becomes the monster again, is superb. But the whole thing is bookended by the broader Riddick mythology, of which I don't really care - while at the same time contradicting the story introduced in the game (which is unfortunate, given that's the strongest element in the franchise).

DAREDEVIL (NETFLIX) 9/10

Wow. Really surprised by this one. It's a darker, more interesting and nuanced Marvel take on Nolan's Dark Knight style. It indicates that the TV format is far better for handling hero and villain characters (whereas the movies always skimp on one or the other).

Matt Murdock is great, and I can see him working alongside Downy Jr. and Chris Evans in a feature just fine.

More remarkable is D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk, delivering the first decent bad guy in any Marvel movie/TV franchise (I've not seen Ultron yet). Terrifying and sympathetic and channelling both Orson Welles and Marlon Brando. Genius stuff.

It's a shame that the 'proper' suit doesn't really work in the last episode, but there's amazing stuff all the way through. The end of ep2 is the point at which I was hooked.

• edited May 2015

Mad Max: Fury Road 7/10

Why they decided to tagged this Mad Max I will never understand. This would have been just as good, maybe better if Tom Hardy had not been in it at all. Charlize Theron's character carried this movie. It was as if Max was an after thought.

Some cool production, stunts, some really nice cinematography and land scape shots. But after awhile many of the actions scenes seem to run together, become repetitive, and frankly it got to be so much of the same-same, by the end  I got a little bored.

• SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator

So, Daredevil and Agent Carter remain the best Marvel things from 2015.

Avengers: Age of Ultron 6/10

Great fun throughout and amazing production values, but it doesn't hang together anything like as tidily as the first. The structure is messy, the Ultron threat isn't explored in as much detail as it needed (it never seems to actually affect/threaten anybody other than the Avengers, until the final extinction event), and lots of underused secondary characters/plotlines.

That said, there are individual scenes and moments which are among the best in any Marvel movie. The ticket price was pretty much worth it just for the slow-mo diorama shot of the Avengers in action near the end. Beautiful.

• Kung Fury    80s/80s

• Age of Heroes (2011): 3/10

Adapted from the true story of the formation of 30 Commando Unit (precursor to the SAS), this is the low budget story of Danny Dyer's struggle to be taken seriously as an actor. Bog standard action, simple plot, almost nothing remarkable about it. Includes Sean Bean.

• Monsters Dark Continent: 2/10

The effects were okay but the story itself didn't know whether it wanted to be a war movie, anti-terrorist movie or a science fiction movie. The "monsters" had absolutely no bearing as to what the main story line was about making that aspect of the movie seem disjointed and detached.

The Truman Show: 8/10

I know- I'm late to this one. I'm not a huge Jim Carry fan by any stretch of the imagination but the story was interesting. I liked the break away interviews from the main story and how they showed fans of The Truman Show routing for Truman as he figured out what was going on.

• Heh, Monsters: Dark Continent does not fare well on Rotten Tomatoes at all! Shame really, the original was pretty good as I recall.

• edited June 2015

DanielGWood! M:DC was a little weird to me. ***SPOILER*** It was as if mankind just accepted the monsters being there and only aggressively destroying them when they would get really big. There didn't appear to be any effort to get rid of them when they were small i.e. the kid with one in the box and the dog fight. Why wait? Is there something I missed in the story?

Divergent: 9/10 

I didn't know what to expect from this movie going in and I was pleasantly surprised by the main character's development throughout. A heroine that gained courage and who was not completely infallible to situations she found herself in was refreshing. A few plot twists and unexpected reactions from peripheral characters made this a fun story to follow. I'm eager to see where this story will lead and how it will turn out.

Transcendence: 7/10

I thought this would be a typical "I'm loading my consciousness into a computer" type story but it had a few twists that gave it an edge. A lot of times, these types of stories don't usually have a lot of action but this one broke that mold and surprised me a couple times. 

• The World's End: 9/10

I knew nothing about this movie going in so I wasn't expecting it to go where it did. Clever effects and witty banter made this movie fun to watch. Simon Pegg's character was all at once obnoxious and likeable- a combination I imagine is difficult to achieve.

• edited June 2015

Didn't know this thread existed! I purchased HitFilm to help me do my movie reviews! Here is my latest movie review: Avengers: Age of Ultron! 

https://youtu.be/PuWlp-o6030

• Spring: 7/10

Not a fan of horror, but this was docile in that regard. Mostly subtle effects and very believable in other parts. Beautiful scenery.

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff
    edited June 2015

Ha ha nice review @Filmigos! First one I've seen entirely narrated from beneath a popcorn bucket. The flying dog was inspired. 

What we do in the Shadows: 7/10

This was a brilliant comedy from the directors of Flight of the Conchords, presented as a documentary. I didn't think I was going to like it so much as the humor seemed a little 'silly' but as soon as it started I didn't want it to end. It's very 'British' with a lot of sarcasm and long, blank stares that make you giggle awkwardly because there's so much silence. But it was really hilarious all the way through and was a neat new look on the vampire genre. I would recommend it for sure. If you haven't heard of it you can watch the trailer here
    PS. Another reason I liked it so much is that I have a friend who is the spitting image and countenance as Viago, and it was hilarious. 

• edited June 2015

Thank you! I used one of the video tutorials on how to make UFO jets and applied to my dog. It turned out pretty well! Thank you!!

I saw What WE Do in the Shadows too. Can't go wrong with the Flight of The Conchords guys! The movie was a little too british for me since I didn't get some of the jokes. But I still enjoyed it!

• American Sniper: 9/10

I watched this with my wife. And as the movie progressed I could tell she didn't understand the point of view or the inner struggles being expressed by main character. However, my wife did understand and identify with main character's wife.

This movie is about the inner struggle of duty, honor, loyalty, and friendship felt for your compatriots in arms. The morality of what war is making you do, all balanced against obligations of family back home. 

There are several scenes that I found absolutely gut wrenching being caught up in the emotions being expressed by Bradley Cooper.

• edited June 2015

Here is my review of JURASSIC WORLD! (Used Hitfilm Ultimate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk6peLhahtY

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment