GeForce 400 Series OpenGL error (FIXED IN LATEST UPDATE)

HITFILM UPDATE: This issue has been fixed in the latest HitFilm update. Please make sure you are using the latest version!

Hi - would have loved my first post to be positive, but unfortunately I've got to report an issue (not sure if this is the right forum?)
I imported AVCHD (1080p) footage from a Nikon D7000 camera which went fine. However, when I drag it to the timeline I get a crash:
"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue (...) error code: 8"
Hitfilm then quits. I've got an GTX460 SE with the latest drivers installed. Also worth mentioning is that I have a dual screen setup. I've got no issues with any other programs (like After Effects CS5.5, Premier Pro CS5.5 and Photoshop).
:-(

Hi - would have loved my first post to be positive, but unfortunately I've got to report an issue (not sure if this is the right forum?)
I imported AVCHD (1080p) footage from a Nikon D7000 camera which went fine. However, when I drag it to the timeline I get a crash:
"The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue (...) error code: 8"
Hitfilm then quits. I've got an GTX460 SE with the latest drivers installed. Also worth mentioning is that I have a dual screen setup. I've got no issues with any other programs (like After Effects CS5.5, Premier Pro CS5.5 and Photoshop).
:-(

Comments

• Hi 3dmus,
    It might be worth attaching a very small 5 second file with the same codec for us to try as it might be a codec issue.
    Justin
  • Hey 3dmus,
    The developers will be looking in to this straight away.
    I'm running on a very similar graphics card here (Nvidia GTX 470) with Windows 7 64-bit. Could you give us some more information about the issue and does it happen every time you try to perform the same task? Could you try some different video formats as well?
  • Yeah, and if you attach the video, it might be best to submit it using the Support system, rather than posting it in the forum here.
    Have you made sure that your OpenGL is up to date?
  • edited June 2011
    Thanks for the prompt replies guys. To add more info:
    - I am on WIndows 7 64bit, 8GB ram
    - latest NVIDIA drivers installed (downloaded yesterday)
    - perfectly repeatable: any D7000 footage I have, Import, drag into timeline, boom.
    I have to say that even on Premiere Pro CS5.5 (not CS5 funnily enough) issues are reported with D7000 footage. Jerky playback, but renaming from .mov to .mpg fixes the issue there (never a crash).
    Will try to find a very short clip and upload it.
  • Do you have problems with footage not off the D7000? Does ALL media do this, or just the D7000 footage? We don't officially support AVCHD at the moment, though we are working on the hefty licensing issues.
    Do you use a graphics tablet?
  • A sample clip would be very helpful, thanks.
    Also, try renaming the .mov to .mp4 and see if that helps at all.
  • Thanks again. Just tried some old DV PAL footage and that works fine (i.e. no crash). I'm not using a graphics tablet. Will upload a short clip shortly. WIll also try the renaming suggestion.
  • ok, just tried renaming to .mp4, and unfortunately no luck.
    Very surprised to hear about not officially supporting AVCHD since it's such a common format. Sure, I could convert...but that would be an additional step in the workflow.
    Having said that...yes, licensing costs...can understand the issue with that.
  • We're working on the licencing with Dolby at the moment and we hope to have something resolved before too long. :)
  • Great to hear that Joshua!
    In the mean time I raised a ticket for this issue and attached a sample file (2 second clip, but on my system still leads to a crash). At least, I think I uploaded it (system said to keep attachment under 20KB, but my file is at about 7MB or so?)
  • 20KB seems a bit low, we'll look into that. :)
    Can you please upload to http://upload.fxhome.com instead then let us know once you have done so. Thanks!
  • Sure thing Simon, I just uploaded DSC_1752.MOV to that link.
  • Thanks, got it. It works fine in HitFilm Ultimate on my machine, but you can be sure the devs will be right on this in the morning (it's currently 11pm here in the UK).
    We'll keep you posted.
  • I'm having the same issue Nvidia 430 works with everything until now. Installed latest drivers.
  • I installed the 32 bit Ultimate on a 32 bit windows 7 box and it worked. I installed on a 64 bit box and it crashed whenever I put video on the time line. The 32 bit is intel and 64 bit is AMD. The 64 box is much newer with all new everything.

• Thanks, got it. It works fine in HitFilm Ultimate on my machine, but you can be sure the devs will be right on this in the morning (it's currently 11pm here in the UK).
    We'll keep you posted.

Many thanks Simon, and appreciate the tremendous support. I'm in the UK too, so to be honest, hadn't even expected any technical support at all at that time of night when I posted my issue! Many thanks again.
  • Just started playing around w/o footage. Created a 1920*1080 23.976 project, created a composite shot. I then added a plane and dropped the fire effect on that. When attempting to play I get the exact same crash. As mentioned before, not sure if dual display could be a contributing factor here?
    Edit: tried the same with:
    cloud --> worked fine
    Grid --> crash
    Film damage --> works fine
    Gleam --> crash
    I'm assuming it's particular OpenGL calls that cause the crash?
    (As a btw - didn't find an easy way to remove an effect once added to a layer? i.e. not in right click menu, nor with del-key Having said that, I still need to check the manual)
  • You can right-click the name of an effect, either on the timeline or in the Controls panel, to Remove it. You can also select it in either the Controls panel or the timeline, and press the Delete key.
  • Hi Axel - D'oh! Got it. (I was trying to delete with "effects" highlighted rather than the specific effect itself! Think that's the way I do it in AE)
    BTW - got driver info (275.33 below):
    [Display]
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
    DirectX version: 11.0
    GPU processor: GeForce GTX 460 SE
    Driver version: 275.33
    DirectX support: 11
    CUDA Cores: 288
    Core clock: 680 MHz
    Shader clock: 1360 MHz
    Memory clock: 1700 MHz (3400 MHz data rate)
    Memory interface: 256-bit
    Total available graphics memory: 4095 MB
    Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB GDDR5
    System video memory: 0 MB
    Shared system memory: 3071 MB
    Video BIOS version: 70.04.2E.00.B0
    IRQ: 16
    Bus: PCI Express x16 Gen2
    [Components]
    easyUpdatusAPIU64.DLL 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    WLMerger.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    Nvlhr.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    daemonu.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    ComUpdatusPS.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    ComUpdatus.exe 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    NvUpdtr.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    NvUpdt.dll 1.3.5.0 NVIDIA Update Components
    nvui.dll 7.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdsync.exe 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdplcy.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdbat.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvxdapix.dll 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    NVCPL.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
    nvCplUIR.dll 3.7.730.01 NVIDIA Control Panel
    nvCplUI.exe 3.7.730.01 NVIDIA Control Panel
    nvWSSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Workstation Server
    nvWSS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Workstation Server
    nvViTvSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Video Server
    nvViTvS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Video Server
    NVSTVIEW.EXE 7.17.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
    NVSTTEST.EXE 7.17.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
    NVSTRES.DLL 7.17.12.7537 NVIDIA 3D Vision Module (0)
    nvDispSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Display Server
    NVMCTRAY.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA Media Center Library
    nvDispS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA Display Server
    PhysX 09.10.0514 NVIDIA PhysX
    NVCUDA.DLL 8.17.12.7533 NVIDIA CUDA 4.0.1 driver
    nvGameSR.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
    nvGameS.dll 6.14.12.7533 NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
  • Thanks for the info.
    Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of HitFilm? (If the installer filename includes 'x86' then it's 32-bit version. If it includes 'x64' then it's the 64-bit version.)
    64-bit Windows can run both versions, though you'll be better off running the native 64-bit version.
    Even if you are already using the 64-bit HitFilm, can you uninstall it and try the 32-bit version please? Or vice versa if you're currently using the 32-bit version. It'll be useful to know if you still get the problem.
    Thanks!
  • I got the 64bit version installed. Will now uninstall and download the 32bit version. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks Hendo.
  • edited July 2011
    OK - just uninstalled 64bit and installed 32bit. Exact same issue. Tried to drop D7000 file into timeline --> poof. However, I then started with an empty composite shot, added a plane and some effects (like fire) and that worked. I then dropped D7000 footage underneath. Could scrub for a few seconds, but then it crashed again.
    Edit: tried some more composite only shots (i.e. w/o footage), added a plane, fire, then wanted to draw a mask....poof...
  • HendoHendo Staff
    edited July 2011
    3dmus found a workaround for the problem by using an older NVIDIA driver. If anyone is experiencing this same problem, please follow these instructions.
  • Hendo - I'd just like to thank you & the other guys for the excellent support. Not once before have I experienced this level of support for any software product I've owned. This really makes me feel confident about purchasing Hitfilm.
  • Just as an added bit of info. I have a D7000 nad I've been able to drop both raw footage directly from the camera and footage converted to cineform without problems. This must be a local configuration issue.
    I have a core 2 quad and nvidia 9600 GT
  • yeh, it ended up being an issue with the latest few NVIDIA drivers in combination with my graphics card. Workaround is to roll back to earlier version (Nov '10). Since I did that, I experienced no further issues.
  • We continue to work toward a solution where you don't have to roll back drivers as a high priority. :)
  • Hope they do find work around or get licensing issue dealt with as I'm using Canon Vixia HXS21 with the AVCHD codec with my pc being Amd Athlon II x2 250 and 4 gb ram with an Ati radeon hd 5670 video Had an issue in past where it wouldn't accept the files but it was mostly to do with settings I was using in Sony Vegas pro prior to importing to Vision labs. Know it takes a lot of memory but you may need to save/render the clip in an uncompressed format in your NLE as a work around. Vision labs certainly didn't like it in Sony's 1080 hd codec but I think that was more of a compatibility issue between Sony and Canon's AVCHD codec. Hope it will work out for you. Hitfilm looks like a great program and I'm happy to say I'm purchasing my copy soon. I've only been using VisionLabs for a few months and the new program looks even more fantastic and will give indie film makers more of the tools they need to do quality fx and tell even better stories.
  • AVCHD will open and the video will play in HitFilm but the audio (which is AC3 aka Dolby Digital) won't play. We'll keep working on it and the update to fix the GeForce 400 Series OpenGL error will be out as soon as we can.
    We have order an GTX 460 card to do some more testing - we've been able to replicate the issue on a laptop with a 460 which is how the developer team found the workaround. We'll keep you up to date with our progress. :)
  • Hi! I have a question.I have the demo version of Hitfim Ultimate,but it is running to slow in my computer,anyway I look in the requirements and I thik my computer has they.Can yo tell me,why is happening this? For any more information,these are the properties of my computer:
    Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1
    Intel Core i3 M330 2.13GHZ
    3 GB Ram
    and Geforce GT 330M
    Thanks
    P.D.I have After Effects CS4 and it runs very fast,without any problem

Sign in to comment