Support for Intel graphics? What do I upgrade to?

I get an error message when I try the 64 bit version of the Hitfilm demo.
"Your video card does not support the minimum requierments for this application
OpenGL version must me 2.0 or higher.
OpenGLSL version must be 1.2 or higher.
The monitor must be running in True Color (32-bit)."
Is this fixable? I was really excited about Hitfilm, and this sure was disappointing.

Comments

• Hey Rockstudios - what make and model of graphics card do you have?
  • As with any software, there will be minimum hardware requirements in order to run it. In this case, it looks like you need to upgrade your video card in order to be compatible with HitFilm. Make sure your drivers are up to date on the video card, as maybe the manufacturer has released an update that could bring you in line with the requirements, but most likely you'll just want to upgrade the card. Since HitFilm takes full advantage of the GPU, upgrading your card will translate directly into better performance in HitFilm.
  • I have Intel Pentium P6100 with 2.00 GHz.
    At least, that's my CPU...I don't think I have a separate card for my graphics, it just says Intel HD graphics.
    Sorry, I don't know much about computer hardware.
  • Unfortunately that is going to be a very slow card. You can get good GPUs these days for about $50 and really good ones for around $100, so upgrading your system might be worth considering?
    Sorry to disappoint!
  • Slow as in annoyingly slow, or slow as in un-usable? I can deal with the annoyingly slow if I can get past the error message. [Hitfilm closes after I click OK.]
  • Just now testing the demo, let's see if this old machine is up to the task!
    If not, there will be a new card in my future. There's almost a pun in that.
    And it looks like there's a new card in my future. The internal stuff even in a new HP isn't going to work!
  • edited June 2011
    Yeah, the intergreated graphics chips aren't going to cut it. An upgrade to a nice nVidia 460GTX or higher card may be your best bet!
  • Yeah, I think when they design those onboard graphics cards, what they have in mind is more viewing an occasional Youtube video, rather than the really graphics-intensive job of video editing. For most people, who just use their computer for word-processing and web browsing, they are fine. But when trying to simulate 10,000 textured particles in real-time, while the swirl about and cast shadows on each other and their environment, a more robust dedicated card is going to be very worthwhile.
  • Maybe I'll get Standard and use the money to get a new card, then later save up to upgrade to Ultimate. Thanks guys for your help.
  • Seems like I will need to upgrade my graphics card as well! I thought this was going to happen, oh well! :)
  • Oh well, I was going to pop open the box to put in a new HD this weekend, I guess I can make room for a new card in there as well!
    The card I'm looking at is wanting a bigger power supply. Suddenly my computer is starting to get like an old car! :P
  • I'm having a similar problem, I have the geforce 7300gs. Hitfilm ultimate won't even load, could the card be at fault?
  • Sorry, the 7300gs is well below minimum spec which is a 7900GT.

• Sorry, the 7300gs is well below minimum spec which is a 7900GT.

:(( BUGGER! New card tomoz then, unless I can get this 8600 gt working
  • Does anyone know or recommend a card that has great value and is affordable? I am running Vista Home Premium SP2, and (don't really understand it) it says: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family which yes, I know is not very good, so I would like to change!
  • Best Graphics Cards For The Money: May 2011
    Take a look at the link above. All the card there will work, but the better you can get the faster HitFilm will go. :)
  • edited June 2011

Does anyone know or recommend a card that has great value and is affordable?

The nVidia 460GTX or the Radeon 6850 are excellent cards for the price! Take a look at those- they ought to be more than enough power for Hitfilm considering they recommend a 9800GT card. I mentioned a little more about that in this topic and here as well.
    Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family which yes, I know is not very good, so I would like to change!

Yup, that's another integrated graphics card, which, as you say, are not very good at all for any kind of video editing or intense graphics work. An upgrade would most likely suit your computer well in general anyways. ;)
  • I'm running a nVidia 470GTX and its great for HitFilm. Saying that I know Simon runs a 260GTX at home which is also more than up to the task. We have focused on getting features together for this initial release but now we can start to optimise - BIG TIME! :)
  • I can't get a GeForce 7900GT card to work. It is running XP Media Center Edition Also do I need to install open GL? I get the same error as Rockstudios.
  • I see my video card don't work either, I have a Nvidia GeForce FX5200
  • I thought this looked cool but neither of 2 PC's one a laptop seems to work.
  • Do you have all the latest drivers? We have some test boxes here with 7900GT cards.
  • um. Ill check. Probly not. And do I need to download openGL or is it preinstalled on the card?
  • Sorry The Chosen One, but the FX5200 is an 8 year old GPU which doesn't have half the technology required to run HitFilm. The minimum requirement for HitFilm is the pretty ancient 7900GT (6 years old) which by today's standards is an extremely slow card.
  • SGM - you need to make sure that you have all the latest service packs installed for Windows and then download the latest GeForce drivers from Nvidia.
  • Thanks.

• Sorry The Chosen One, but the FX5200 is an 8 year old GPU which doesn't have half the technology required to run HitFilm. The minimum requirement for HitFilm is the pretty ancient 7900GT (6 years old) which by today's standards is an extremely slow card.

Looks like its time for an upgrade, thank you.
  • edited July 2011
    So is the nVidia 470GTX this one?
  • Yeah, that is the card. Make sure you have a good power supply which can power it. :)
  • Are your drivers completely up-to-date, and do you have the latest service packs installed for XP?

Sign in to comment