Solved: could not initialize the playback engine for the media

I seem to be getting, "could not initialize the playback engine for the media" whenever i try to playback any format. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Hi @Mchenetz, could you provide us with more details please? What version of HitFilm are you using? Are you on Mac or Windows? What format have you tried to play? It would be useful as well to know what your system specs are (particularly the CPU).

If you go in the options and uncheck "Play audio when scrubbing timeline", can you see your video when you use the next frame / previous frame? If you import an audio only file (for example a .mp3), could you play it?

• I am running the latest version of Hitfilm 4. I am trying DNxHD, XAVC, 

Laptop:

Dell Precision M4800

Quadro K2100

CPU: Quad core I7

16gb Ram

2 SSDs

Tests:

uncheck "Play audio when scrubbing timeline", then i can see video when going to next/previous frame.

I cannot here audio when imported.

• Solved: Thanks for leading me down the right direction... It turns out that Windows 10 had an issue with Sound that was fixed in a later release. All is working now! Thanks again.

• How did you fix it?

• Hi, i'm having a similar issue, and could use some help!

so whenever i bring footage into the trimmer and try to play it, it says "could not initialize playback engine for media" why would this be? I also can't get any of my footage in the time line to play.

again any help would be appreciated!

• If you read the comments above yours, you should know that simply listing an error message doesn't give us much to go on.  We also need to know:

• HitFilm version
    • Operating system details
    • System specs
    • file format and encoding details for the media that won't play
  • I'm using:

version=HitFilm 4 express

Model=ASUS desktop PC M32bBF_K30BF series

Processor=AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.70 GHz

Installed memory= (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.19 GB unstable)

System Type= 64 but operation system, x64- based processor

File Format(for media that wont play)= (MOV.) 

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

@Kaiju_AGM if you are on Windows you will need to install Quicktime and reboot your computer. 

If that doesn't work, will, Hitfilm doesn't officially support AMD APU integrated graphics. You might be under minimum hardware specs. 

• Ok, so my processor is and AMD how do I change that? Do I need a new graphics card?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Yeah, pretty much the only solution is changing hardware. 

• Ok, thank you very much for the help!

Sign in to comment