Hitfilm Express (Free Version) Lag and preview problems

edited November 2015 in Express Support

I found Hitfilm and started to fall in love but the only problem I'm having is that it lags alot! When ever I try edit the video in the preview skips aton making it impossible to edit. I'm not sure how to fix this I've tried a few methods but since Hitfilms new its hard to find methods.

My Basic Specs:

Windows 8.1

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 3558U @ 1.70GHz 1.70GHz

Installed Ram:4.00GB

64-Bit operating system

Manufacturer:Toshiba 

Thank you-Makayla

Comments

• Your footage is probably  probably h.264 encoded mp4 files, and any NLE will slow down when dealing with mp4 (Although Hitfilm is worse with it than some others). 

H.264 is a "delivery" codec meant to just be played back on a device and not to be used in an editor. The TL/DR explanation is that the way h.264 encodes, if you put your playhead on frame 50, Hitfilm probably has to look at frames 0-49 and 51-299 just to display frame 50,and if you cut frames 0-49 out of the timeline, Hitfilm STILL has to look at frames 0-49 and 51-299 to display that frame 50. This slows things down. A lot. 

A good, not-too-techie explaination of the difference between editing and delivery codecs is here:

telestreamblog.telestream.net/2012/04/save-yourself-frustration-use-editing-formats-when-editing-2/

Again, the solution is to use free software like VirtualDub or Mpeg Streamclip to convert your footage to DNxHD, or another good editing codec. Handbrake (mentioned above) only encodes to h.264.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment