@ hitfilm crew

i saw your video about your film, it seems like it should be a success! Your props are amazing, and i am guessing that the guns are not real or blank ones, so i am looking forward to seeing how you will edit on the shooting effects, ;) aslo, are there any stores so anyone can buy the props you have? (the person who made them, does he sell lots of props/ costumes?)
:D
PS: Do you use airsoft guns?

Comments

• The guns are a mixture of types - certainly no real or blank firing ones. Most are either static props or non-firing toys with some movement. I'm not a gun expert myself so extra details will have to come from somebody else on the team. :P
    Nigel doesn't currently sell or work to commission, although he's getting more and more requests these days. Mostly he makes props for local filmmakers, and he is part of the It's A Trap team that I'm also involved with (we shot the Arms Race film - another propfest :P ). He's always very generous with his time and skills when it comes to FXhome projects.
    Pretty much everything you see in the video (except for the big guns) he's pulled together in the last 3 weeks-or-so, including designing and building all the custom-made stuff. I genuinely have no idea how he does it. :)
  • Wow, so he made some of the guns?
    Also, I know a film company that use rubber guns as props for scenes when people hit people with them, they are pretty cool!
    Also I have a unique way of creating effects with air pressure, and a green screen/ White background!
    And it works very well for blood effects, and gun shot smoke etc :D
  • I (think) saw Deus Ex:Humanity glasses ans blades ! :D
    can't wait see more !! (nice armory !;) )

• The guns are a mixture of types - certainly no real or blank firing ones. Most are either static props or non-firing toys with some movement. I'm not a gun expert myself so extra details will have to come from somebody else on the team. :P
    Nigel doesn't currently sell or work to commission, although he's getting more and more requests these days. Mostly he makes props for local filmmakers, and he is part of the It's A Trap team that I'm also involved with (we shot the Arms Race film - another propfest :P ). He's always very generous with his time and skills when it comes to FXhome projects.
    Pretty much everything you see in the video (except for the big guns) he's pulled together in the last 3 weeks-or-so, including designing and building all the custom-made stuff. I genuinely have no idea how he does it. :)

Simon,
    It's a trap team film The Arms Race, is that done and where would I watch it at? I would like that guy to build me a gun that was sitting on the couch with the big round barrell, that gun is sweet!! Reminds me of the gun from HellBoy.. Where do I get one??
  • Here's Arms Race:
    http://youtu.be/lQT6Bnqsvg0
    We made it back in 2010 and are currently in early development on a web series and comic book. Fun stuff!
  • I like the dads army end.... "you have been watching..."
  • I would like that guy to build me a gun that was sitting on the couch with the big round barrell, that gun is sweet!! Reminds me of the gun from HellBoy.. Where do I get one??

That particular prop is a Nerf gun, and can be picked up brand new from Wal-Mart for $10 US. I actually got one last week at goodwill for $2. It doesn't look like itsbeen modded all that significanly, mostly just repainted from the yellow/orange color scheme of the toy, so it looks more realistic.
    Here it is on Amazon
  • Axel is indeed correct! That particular gun was one of the simplest props. It's a great design in the first place, though, and with a decent paint job looks superb on camera.

• Here's Arms Race:
    http://youtu.be/lQT6Bnqsvg0
    We made it back in 2010 and are currently in early development on a web series and comic book. Fun stuff!

I liked it! Funny and had a story for a short film..! Is there a website for your films or just you tube?

• That particular prop is a Nerf gun, and can be picked up brand new from Wal-Mart for $10 US. I actually got one last week at goodwill for $2. It doesn't look like itsbeen modded all that significanly, mostly just repainted from the yellow/orange color scheme of the toy, so it looks more realistic.
    Here it is on Amazon

I never really thought of taking toy guns like nerf and making them look so neat!! What kind of paint do you use to paint the gun, like normal spray paint or something better and is the colors a flat color? Thanks and great props!!
  • There r some great tutorials on YouTube about painting toy guns for props. And they mostly use normal black spray paint for the first base layer colour, then the spray silver onto a cloth and dab it on the the toy gun so it looks metallic and cool, (they don't fully coat it with silver, hence the dabbing) :))

• There r some great tutorials on YouTube about painting toy guns for props. And they mostly use normal black spray paint for the first base layer colour, then the spray silver onto a cloth and dab it on the the toy gun so it looks metallic and cool, (they don't fully coat it with silver, hence the dabbing) :))

There is something different about how fxhome painted that gun, looks more than spray paint....
  • When I repaint guns or props like this, I use an airbrush, but a decent job can be done with spray paint. The key is in masking well, and being patient. Start by taking the toy completely apart, and basecoat everything with flat black Krylon Fusion. Krylon Fusion is a spray paint specifically formulated for adhering to plastics. Then apply your other colors over the black. If you can get the other colors in Fusion, the black basecoat isn't entirely necessary, but I find the black helps to make sure that the obnoxious colors of the original toy are well hidden.
    You can also sometimes use a technique called drybrushing, where you use a brush with very little paint on it to lightly hit the surfaces, focusing primarily on the edges and corners, to make it look worn and aged. Then some basic detail painting with a brush to get the tiny bits like rivets and screws.
  • Would car spray paint work well?

• When I repaint guns or props like this, I use an airbrush, but a decent job can be done with spray paint. The key is in masking well, and being patient. Start by taking the toy completely apart, and basecoat everything with flat black Krylon Fusion. Krylon Fusion is a spray paint specifically formulated for adhering to plastics. Then apply your other colors over the black. If you can get the other colors in Fusion, the black basecoat isn't entirely necessary, but I find the black helps to make sure that the obnoxious colors of the original toy are well hidden.
    You can also sometimes use a technique called drybrushing, where you use a brush with very little paint on it to lightly hit the surfaces, focusing primarily on the edges and corners, to make it look worn and aged. Then some basic detail painting with a brush to get the tiny bits like rivets and screws.

I've seen that Spray paint before. I might be able to get it back together if I took it apart. I take it that you have to take the gun apart to get a good paint job on it?? That Nerf gun, if that hard to take apart and get back together? For detail painting, I can put a Star Trek model together and get a lot of detail on the model, I'm working on a Fiber Optic Deep Space 9 Space Station model right now, but I got a lot of experience for detail painting!! Any more tips, like to hear them! Appericate the time for answering these questions!!
  • edited September 2011
    They are pretty simple to dismantle and put together. Probably a dozen screws or less to take out, and few enough parts that there's only one logical way for them to go back together. You will almost definitely get better results if you dismantle it, as opposed to just spraying the thing while it is all together, but it depends on the look you are after. The one in the video above, for example, looks fairly monochromatic, so you might be able to basecoat it as it is, then add details and brush techniques and get decent results. If you look at this one I've been working on, though, it needed to look like several different metals and materials were used in the construction, and dismantling was basically required, to get a clean result.
    And even though this will be a worn, old-timey steampunk weapon when finished, you want to start out by painting it clean, then add the aging, as this will give more convincing results than just trying to paint it to look old from the start. At least for me it does. There are probably some painting experts out there that could skip doing the clean stage first, but I'm not that good.
    On this one I used drybrushing and stippling for the main silver body, I airbrushed metallics for the gold, brass and copper, and then I used dirty yellow wash over the golds to age them a bit. The flat black covered everything to start with, and some of it hasn't been topcoated yet. The handle is painted to look like leather, but will probably get covered with actual leather eventually. You can see the original orange color on the trigger, where the paint has scratched off. The round disk just above the handle I added to cover the NERF logo. This is another gun I picked up used, for a dollar at Goodwill. I'll be adding a few other detail bits to it as well, to enhance the steampunkiness and general awesomeness, but it does demonstrate several of the painting techniques I mentioned.
  • edited September 2011
    Thanks, everyone, for the tips on the guns.
    The one you've painted looks really good, Axel. It indeed looks steampunky.
  • As Axel correctly pointed out the gun was an off the shelf Nerf Gun. I did take the gun apart to paint, the mechanism would be jammed if you paint the gun while it is in one piece and there are always bits that the spray just can't reach. Although the gun was simple to pull apart, be aware that some of the components inside are held in place by springs, although you can work out where these go, it can take a while if you don't pay attention when pulling the gun apart. Plastic toy guns are ideal for this type of project as you can alter them easliy by simply gluing other plastic parts onto the base gun. The only weakness is that these guns are very light, and actors can end up waving them around in an unrealistic manner. It can be difficult for an actor to remember that the gun should be heavy. To get around this when the gun is in pieces it can be worth the effort to add weight in the form of lead weights to the open spaces in the guns (the handle is a good choice for this).
    The only thing different that I did different to Axels suggestions was to give the plastic a light sanding with fine sand paper. This served two puropses I was able to remove unwanted details molded into the plastic and I find that spray paint sticks better to a slightly etched surface (An etching primer can achieve a similar result). Plastic model spray paints are ideal for these type of props but you can also use car spray paints, this helps where you don't have an air brush and there is a wide choice of covers (Make sure that you use these in a well ventilated area).
    The nerf gun in this case was simply sprayed with a matt black car spray paint. I made no changes to the structure of the gun but did sand off some details. To add a colour element I did 'dry brush' the rotating barrel and some of the raised setails with a gold acrylic paint. This was applied by using a sponge. Damp the sponge with paint, remove most of the excess paint then dab the part that you want to colour. You can do this multiple times, so start by just putting a small amount of paint on and then if you want a deeper colour add more.
  • The only thing different that I did different to Axels suggestions was to give the plastic a light sanding with fine sand paper. This served two puropses I was able to remove unwanted details molded into the plastic and I find that spray paint sticks better to a slightly etched surface (An etching primer can achieve a similar result).

Excellent point, Nigel, I'm glad you mentioned that. I personally use non-acetone fingernail polish remover to clean and chemically etch the surface of the plastic before painting. Its cheap, widely available, relatively safe, and works great. For actually removing details like text molded into the gun though, sandpaper is pretty much necessary.
    As far as the drybrushing technique, you can get some terrific depth if you get several different shades of the color you want to add (dark, medium, and light silver, for example). Then add them in layers, starting with the darkest and working to the lightest. Use less material with each color, until the brightest color you only hit the highest points, edges and ridges. The result is that it looks like the finish is worn off in those areas. I've been learning this stuff lately from a friend of mine who painted this guy:
    [attachment=106:IMG_0012.jpg]
    He is very good.
  • He must be insane, what else has he done? Any props for your film?
  • edited September 2011
    Nope, he hasn't done any props for me, yet. He customizes transformers for a living, and does some very impressive work. He just finished this guy last week: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150270089297484.327227.99195912483&type=1 It is built around a megatron figure, but nearly all of what you see is built from scratch, either sculpted or cut from sheets of styrene, molded, and glued in place. At one point he scratch-built a Rolling Thunder Optimus Prime that was in scale with GI Joe figures, so in truck mode they could sit in the cab, and in bot mode it was 26" tall or something. He did a pretty awesome steampunk facemask for Steam Ball last month, and won the costume contest. You can see a bunch of his stuff on his facebook page or his website www.enclinedesigns.com

• Nope, he hasn't done any props for me, yet. He customizes transformers for a living, and does some very impressive work. He just finished this guy last week: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150270089297484.327227.99195912483&type=1 It is built around a megatron figure, but nearly all of what you see is built from scratch, either sculpted or cut from sheets of styrene, molded, and glued in place. At one point he scratch-built a Rolling Thunder Optimus Prime that was in scale with GI Joe figures, so in truck mode they could sit in the cab, and in bot mode it was 26" tall or something. He did a pretty awesome steampunk facemask for Steam Ball last month, and won the costume contest. You can see a bunch of his stuff on his facebook page or his website www.enclinedesigns.com

Who is the guy that builds FXhome props?? He should start selling some of these for a fair price, cause there are a lot of people that would love to have some of those props?
  • The Transformer build looks Evil...!! Great Job, who ever did it!

• Who is the guy that builds FXhome props?? He should start selling some of these for a fair price, cause there are a lot of people that would love to have some of those props?

He should start a website to sell them.... However, he probably won't be aloud because he uses nerd guns n stuff, so copyright may not let him
    Who knows! But it is a good idea for him to sell them

• He should start a website to sell them.... However, he probably won't be aloud because he uses nerd guns n stuff, so copyright may not let him
    Who knows! But it is a good idea for him to sell them

You mean nerf guns? LOL! I thought he made some of the machine guns also, those are not nerf. The non copy right things the guy has made, the table in the video is full of neat things for props!
  • Sorry auto correct!, it is annoying lol
  • Copyright isn't an issue, because he wouldn't be making copies of NERF guns, he would be reselling them after making modifications, which is perfectly legal. If he were building copies of NERF guns from scratch, so they looked like NERF guns, and selling them, then copyright would be an issue. But reselling a physical object that you buy isn't illegal, even if you make modifications.
  • Well, he should defiantly make a shop, if he has enough time ;)
  • That would be a good sell on FXhome Website, selling some of those cool props!! Hint!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment