Adding effects to 3d models set to "3d unrolled"

I'm trying to add a blur effect to a 3d model but it seems I can't do it when the model is set to "3d unrolled".  It appears to only be possible when the model is set to "3d plane" which does not look as good in the scene.  Is this an oversight or a limitation that cannot be overcome?  Does anyone know of a work around aside from using "3d plane"?

{EDIT - I've found other posts in regards to this issue, but I'm still at a loss as to finding a workaround.}

Thanks,

Ken

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator
    edited October 2015

You cannot add effects directly to a 3D unrolled model. That's just how it works. That's how the software is designed. 

Don't place a model in 3D plane mode. Use 2D or 3D Unrolled. 

Edit: to expand a bit. The way Hitfilm seems to render has to do with why one can't place effects on 3D Unrolled layers. 

In 2D mode Hitfilm calculates the model (or particle sim) in 3D space with lights and relative camera position, then immediately renders the layer and passes it to the FX chain. The advantage is being able to add effects. The disadvantage is having a 2D layer requiring occlusion maps for object overlaps. 

In 3D mode you have the same basic thing except the render plane itself is now moved in 3D space. The issues here are that if the render of the model intersects the edge of the plane the render will slice off at the edge. Also, I think the layer transform happens after the render, so there may be distortion of the image. 

In 3D unrolled mode all 3D models and particle systems are calculated for lights and 3D space but are not rendered until Hitfilm encounters a Geade Layer or hits the top of the layer stack. The advantage here is proper occlusion of objects, with the disadvantage of losing the ability to add FX to individual layers. 

There's a workaround I use that is a bit odd. Basically I duplicate my models and, on the copy, strip textures and reflections and assign all colors (diffuse, specular, ambient, emissive) to pure white or black (my "mattes"), depending. Copy my model and camera animation to a new comp and swap out my original models for my matte models and add a solid plane to the bg (again, black or white, depending . Particles are charged to pure white/black Basically by moving the black model around the white model I am generating the occlusion layer. 

In the main comp I can change my original model layers to 2D and bring in the occlusion map as an embedded comp. Use Set Matte (luma) to assign the occlusion map to theodels, then continue with FX. 

• edited December 2017

On a related note, how would I put a blur effect on  a 3d particle system ? I want to blur out the rain particles. I went through the particle properties, there is no option to blur.

In summary, how would I add a blur to the particles used in the partice sim.

• @zcream if the particle layer is in 2D mode you can add effects directly to the layer. If in 3D Unrolled you cannot add effects. 

If you want depth of field blur then you turn on depth of field in your camera layer and adjust aperture and blur from there. If you want motion blur you turn that on in the Layer Properties of the particle layer. 

I think that covers it. 

Sign in to comment