How do I fade and crossfade a clip?

This is another thing that should be easy.. I am looking to fade clips both in compositing and editing. I also would like to have two clips crossfade into each other for smooth transitions. Much appreciate the help.. Dave

Comments

• In the NLE just use the Dissolve transition across adjacent events for a crossfade. For a single fade just put the dissolve on a single event edge.

In the compositor, you need to overlap your two layers and keyframe the opacity transform property. For a crossfade, 100 to zero for the leading event and 0 to 100 for the trailing event over the overlap timeframe. You may want to play with the keyframe interpolation to get the exact look you want.

• In the compositor, it's sufficient to just keyframe the opacity of the upper layer on the timeline. If you also keyframe the lower layer, you'll have the black background (or whatever else is below both layers) showing through during the transition. This might very well be what you're looking for, but for a clean transition you just need to keyframe the upper layer.

• Thanks You, Robin & Norman!

• "In the compositor, it's sufficient to just keyframe the opacity of the upper layer on the timeline."

Yes for most things that is visually sufficient and easier to implement in the compositor. But what you describe is not a cross fade. It is a single fade of one event.

• "If you also keyframe the lower layer, you'll have the black background (or whatever else is below both layers) showing through during the transition."

You will not have black or whatever underneath show through a proper crossfade because the leading and trailing event transparencies are the inverse of the other during the transition. Differing interpolation curves for the out and in fades can change the result and may not result in opaque. Hitfilm defaults to linear which will work fine.

• Robin is correct. If you fade the lower layer as well, you will see some black. This is because the layers are rendered from the bottom up.  So first the bottom layer is rendered, and blended with black (assuming nothing is behind it). Then, the top layer is rendered, and blended with that mix of black and the bottom layer.  

If you fade both, when the top layer is at 70%, then the bottom layer is at 30%. So what you will see is 70% of the top layer, 10% of the bottom layer, and 20% black. If you leave the lower layer solid, then you get 70% of the top layer, and 30% of the bottom layer. Its also half the work of fading both.

• I stand corrected.

• Had the hardest time crossfading audio until I saw this. Hope it helps!

https://youtu.be/7tvCXzorGVM

Sign in to comment