mission impossible 3d fuse

Hi,

Here's a good one for all of the savvy hit film gurus..

I am about to attempt to create a 3d fuse light effect with a 3d long fuse that burns thru some opening credits, just like on mission impossible 4 and 5.. I'd gladly use some stock footage with alpha transparency but haven't been able to find what I'm looking for, hence I'd like to try and create it in hitfilm.. any thoughts? 

Ben

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Ben,

Sure! Remember that travel map from last year where the plane is trailing particle sim  red smoke? Well, basically you need to do that again. Create a grey circle instead of using a cloud texture, speed zero for the particles. but set a dark red texture color in the Appearance tools. Blend mode to normal. Material setting so that it's illuminated. Keyframe the emitter to move along a path and drop a lot of particles in it's wake. That will create something tubular you can move around in 3D space. 

Now, for sake of discussion, let's make this a 5 second final shot. So, what I'm going to do is create this particle sim in a 10 second long shot and give the particles a 5 second lifespan. The first five seconds is going to be the fuse drawing in. The last five seconds are going to show the fuse disappear.

Now--duplicate the fuse layer AND it's control points for the emitter. Change the color of the particle texture in this duplicate to a dark grey color. Take the original fuse layer and it's control points and move them back in time 5 seconds (Yes, you're moving this layer so that it starts 5 seconds before the shot begins). Now, when the shot starts you'll have your red tube vanishing as your grey tube draws in. Now we have the fuse and the burnt fuse.

Duplicate the burn fuse particle layer (Use the same point)and change the particle system attached to the emitter--kick out a lot of particles in explode trajectory with speed-to-taste using a sparks streak texture with align to motion turned on and a shot lifetime (1/4 to 1/2 second?). Add a second particle system to this emitter and try cloud textures. Set this one with speed to zero and it's life to only a frame or two. Scale it up a bit and add a good amount of size and rotation variation. this is going to make the flame as the fuse burns off. Set the colors of both textures to ADD blend mode, then turn off illumination setting so this layer doesn't respond to lights.

Make sense?

Mike

• Mike,

You are the man. I'm gonna try this ASAP and let you know.  Thanks as always.

Ben

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

No problem. Left out a step. Make certain your fuse and burnt fuse textures are set to billboard to camera. You might need a high particle count to get a solid looking tube.

• I have some stock footage somewhere that I filmed of a fuse burning, just for that sort of shot. I could try dig it out if you want, though it will probably be at least a week before I have access to that drive. Computer's in the shop.

• Axel,

That would be great, I appreciate it.  I haven't had time to try and composite the above shot using Mike's  expert advice but I will. Thank you both again.

Ben

Sign in to comment