Sparks gently swirling around

Starting from the Sparks preset I changed the Shape as Circle and Trajectory as Explode, did want to obtain sparks moving much slower and also not on a linear trajectory but swirling around.

Tried to act on Movement>Life and Speed and also on Movement Variation>Rotation Per Second in both Sparks and Star, but the result is always the same, a packed group of sparks moving straight, any suggestion?

Here a screenshot: Sparks in logo

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Add a global Turbulence force for random movement. 

• Yeah, forces will be useful here. Turbulence, as Triem23 suggested, for randomness, and perhaps an Attractor to keep the particles in one general area, to get more of a swirling effect.

An alternative for creating non-linear trajectories is to offset the Center of Mass on the particles, then add some rotation per second, in both the Movement and Movement Variation controls. 

However, if you want to make those sparks swirl around and create curved trails, then you won't be able to get it with the spark effect. The streaks there are created with the texture images. To make curvy, swirly trails, you would need to use mobile emitters.

• Hello Axel, good to know. I do play around with the particles a lot and try to learn it that way. I think the tutorials are good. But where I have difficulties sometimes, is - where to start? For example there is this nice clip on a roof, where the particles flight by and the camera turns and you can see how they move on. I just don`t know how to get something from the idea to the final . Hope this makes sense....

So it would be great if you could bring up some tutorials, where you show thing from the start: idea, what effect and then how to do. So for example why would I use Atomic particles instead of the particle system and so on. 

I know you have a lot going on at the moment, but would be great to see some more in depth tutorials. Cheers

• Proceeded creating the effect, did leave the Sparks and worked directly with particle simulator, adding turbulence and gravity. Not 100% satisfied since the effect is too fast, but usable.

Now created two lights moving around that need to trigger the image dissolve, problem is to composite both with light visible: any way to make the lights background transparent instead of black? Or need I to change the blending?

Lights on logo

Lights alone

For gravity and turbulence, turn up the particles "Mass" property in the movement group. This will reduce the effect of the forces. 

For your lights... Particles are blending in ADD mode, yes? This means that the particles brighten the underlying layer, but your background is already white. You haven't left room for the lights to brighten anything. Can you darken your background? 

•  I can't darken it, any way to make it reflective?

• edited August 2015

I can resolve previous problem considering want to dissolve the logo during lights movement, so the background will be dark.

Used Majahr dissolving technique Text To Particles but applied on the logo image instead of a HF text layer. 

Problem the atomization is ok without any Fractal>Displacement>Layer association with Map or InvMap, with the association the atomization didn't work and the image remain unchanged. Really no clue why...

Whatever you're using as the map layer for Atomic should be an embedded composite shot. Effects that use other layers as maps look at the map layer before it has effects or transformations applied. Therefore if you created, say, a white plane and  put a gradient on it, tjen told Atomic to use it as a map layer, Atomic sees a white plane. Converting to an embedded composite means the embedded comp is "pre-composed" or pre-rendered, which "bakes in" the gradient. Now Atomic will see it correctly. 

Remember that the map layer is a modifier to the sliders. Black multiplies the slider value by 0, white by 1,amd a 50% grey by 0.5.

Without seeing how your comp is set up that's my best guess. 

Btw, I couldn't think of a way to make particles reflective other than to use a 3D sphere model as the particle source and assigning reflectivity to it's material on tje import screen amd assigning the logo as an environment map in the layer stack. 

• Here you can download the hfp project, this is the logo image, not sure to understand what you mean...

• In the project I noticed the image layer was not a composite, so I rearrange things so that 1) the image layer is a composite itself 2) image composite is embedded with Map + InvMap (also composite) in a separate Dissolve composite 3) the Dissolve composite is embedded into primary composite.

The result sadly didn't change, here the new project.

Sign in to comment