Any good animation software?

Okay, recently I've been searching around on the internet for an animation program.
But I have absolutely no idea which one to choose. :huh:
I am completely unfamiliar with animation, (except for the occasional "Pivot" movie :dry: ) so please help me out if you can.
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Firstly, you'll need to explain what you mean by 'animation.' Do you want to animate motion graphics and titles,, or are you looking for a 3D modeling/animation/rendering program? And what use do you hope to put it to? Creating environments? 3D Characters? Set extensions? Special effects and particle simulations? Water and cloth dynamics? How much time are you willing to spend learning to use it? And finally, what is your budget? Do you just want something to learn with, or do you want to be able to use the results for actual projects?
    Your answers to those questions will help narrow down the list of options. There's lots of programs out there, each with its pros and cons, so knowing which are most important to you will help. Also:
    Powerful
    Affordable
    Easy to use.
    You can pick any two of the above.
  • thats true, gotta be more specific. stop motion animation, dragon stop motion for $285 or ikitmovie with over 2000 sound effects for 79.99 is a good place to start. pivot is a stick figure animation so im guessin, check out crazy talk animator pro by (real illusion). its 179.99 but when u download the trial before it expires they will offer u a discount for around 129.99. hope this helps.
  • If you are talking about cartoon animation, you should be able to do that when 2d motion tracking comes out.... Just have a couple of shapes, track them to a torso (track arms and legs to a torso for example) and then you can rotate the objects, hard to explain :/
  • Check out Daz Studio - it's not a full 3D modelling app, but it's worth looking at for character animation, especially at the moment because until the end of the month it's entirely free: http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_studio?
  • Wow! Thanks for the response, guys! Sorry that I wasn't clear enough in my first post though...
    But, basically what I'm looking for is a 2D animation program. (For characters, environments,etc.) I'm willing to invest as much time as it takes to learn it.
    Free would be great, because I am trying to learn something totally new.
    If I haven't made myself clear enough, here's an example of what I would like to achieve:
    WARNING: BLOOD AND VIOLENCE!
    http://youtu.be/34NfuVCrfok

(BTW: I've heard of Adobe Flash before, but isn't it for making programs?)

• Powerful
    Affordable
    Easy to use.
    You can pick any two of the above.

Powerful and Affordable.

Check out Daz Studio - it's not a full 3D modelling app, but it's worth looking at for character animation, especially at the moment because until the end of the month it's entirely free: http://www.daz3d.com/i/software/daz_studio?

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to pick it up!

If you are talking about cartoon animation, you should be able to do that when 2d motion tracking comes out.... Just have a couple of shapes, track them to a torso (track arms and legs to a torso for example) and then you can rotate the objects, hard to explain :/

That's not a bad idea, but the character animation would probably be stiff, since it could only move around those anchor points. Personally, I would like to have more control over how the character moves.
    But, thanks for the idea!
  • For that kind of animation, Adobe Flash is what most people seem to use. You could use Hitfilm or After Effects if you want, which might be easier, but those are some options to check out.
  • Or Blender ! it's not only a modeling software but also for animation !
  • I am using Toonboom Animate for 2D Animation - which is not (at all) free, but for learning there is a free so called PLE-Version (Personal Learning Edition), so you can find out if it´s worth it. I do quite like it, the learning curve is "medium", and there are different versions at different prices if you decide to buy it.
    On the other hand: I haven´t tried it, but for fairly simple animations it should be possible to use HitFilm as well, by using the "parenting" feature. You take a "person" with different body parts (= different images) and parent the Hand to the Arm, the Arm to the Main body and so on, so you can move the body, and everything else moves with it, you can rotate the arm with moving the hand but without moving the main body, and you can rotate the hand separately without moving anything else. The more body-parts you have, the more work this will be, but then that´s the case with every animation. Of course specialized animation software does have additional features to make things more simple (like inverse kinematics), but I think that you should be able to achieve some fairly decent results with HitFilm as well.

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment