New blog post: Be a sustainable filmmaking hero

KirstieTKirstieT Staff
edited July 2015 in Filmmaking

As filmmakers, sometimes we forget the kind of damage our shoots can have on the environment. We take a look at the idea of 'sustainable filmmaking' and how we (and Hollywood) can have a positive impact in our new blog post. Read more >>

• Well, that was kind of unexpected, but really refreshing and certainly valuable insight into one of the more overlooked aspects of film making.

• Thanks @Robin - it is a little detour from our normal blog subjects but something I really wanted to share with everyone. Glad you found it refreshing! :)

• edited July 2015

A funny thing happened on the way to the blog....I was already at the forum.

Well, whether it's in the name of environmental causes, earth worship or just plain ol' religion, I've always believed we are stewards of the earth. I think it's a great thing if a movie production company can prevent the proliferation of plastic water bottles and reduce the amount of paper and what-not.

It's getting countries like China to play along.....or even the kids in my neighborhood who most assuredly get the whole 'earth friendly' lecture at school and turn around and leave McDonalds trash in the street in front of my house that blows into the yard and ticks me off yet again!!! (sorry)

I do remember about 7 or 8 years back, and I wish I could remember which producer said it- either Spielberg or James Cameron- that he was pushing for more reform in Hollywood so as to not be so destructive to the environment. Since then, I have noticed more computer generated explosions and fire in movies and television shows. Now it's getting harder to tell as VFX become more sophisticated and I have no problem with that either.

Nice blog, Kirstie!

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff
    edited July 2015

Ha ha @StormyKnight seems some sort of magnetic force is blowing the trash straight into your yard! You sure they're not just chucking it in? 

Hmmmm that's interesting, I hadn't heard of Spielberg or Cameron taking more of an interest in it. I'm glad to see that progress is being made on that part then! It's like Emellie from Earth Angels said - it needs to be up to the directors or the bigwigs to accept responsibility for the sustainability of their movies, and encourage everyone else to take it on board. External Eco supervisors can be brought on no problem, but without the backing of someone big there won't be any movement. Glad you enjoyed the blog post! 

• Given the themes Cameron's explored in The Abyss and Avatar, not to mention his deep sea work, it's not surprising that he has an interest in eco-friendly activities.

• KirstieT- They better not be chucking it into my yard......I'll use my new sonic screwdriver on 'em! lol

SimonKJones- I think you're right- it was Cameron. I looked for a reference to the interview but it was a while ago and eventually gave up. I believe he made mention of being more responsible in the middle of the interview so it wasn't the main focus. I'm pretty sure it was around the time of Avatar.

Then there's this fiasco about the movie "The Beach" and it's production company! 

• Of course!!! It's been years we know that! We all really have to wake up!

• Germany is working that Way since Decades... well, good, that USA wakes up...

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff
    edited September 2015

@StormyKnight - I can't get to the link you've posted but yes, there's been quite a lot of uproar about 'The Beach' (including in a report I linked in the original blog post) where they wrote: 
    "Though it is illegal to change the “existing natural conditions of a national park without permission of the authorized agency” Phi Phi did not exactly match the script’s description of a flawless tropical beach the size of a football field. Ignoring regulations, Fox began to turn the island into its ideal set. The company “bulldozed the beach, removed native plants, and planted some 100 coconut trees...” (Third World Network)."

Very shocking to hear (but seems that at least the boycott against 'The Beach' resulted in some consequences for Fox at the box office). 

• @KirstieT interesting article, I wonder what impact there is the environment as technology moves on and equipment get superseded by new better tech, all that tech is built using resources. In the last 5 years alone we are making huge leaps in not only getting better images and resolution from our gear we are doing it for the masses, take the GoPro, loved by people who want to experience nature and the environment at its rawest (climbing, canoeing, biking) but will they stop to consider, do they need a to replace that existing model with a new one so soon, just to get 8k videos, does that have a knock on effect on supporting kit, like the need for bigger HDrives, faster computers.

Are we just getting greedy, when what we have will do?

I realise we are getting better at recycling all those lovely components but how much still goes to waste.

• KirstieT- I don't know why that link isn't working now unless the website is gone (or the article). It described a scene where the film crew that made The Beach left great amounts of litter behind atop the bulldozed beach issue. The locals were NOT happy. I didn't see The Beach but it sounds like they reaped what they sowed.

Andy001z - We live in a disposable society. I think it started with the development of cheap electronics and repair shops telling people it would be "cheaper to buy a new one than have this unit repaired". Now it's get the latest iphone even if the one you have is still in great working condition.

Grisby - I don't have a lot of confidence in my government or it's Environmental Protection Agency. I'd be willing to bet The Beach film crew did less damage than the EPA when stacked against this case:

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment