Does HitFilm have a tool to correct barrel distortion?

I'm thinking of getting hold of a drone for Aerial shots and all the action cams I see out there seem to have some level of barrel distortion, some worse than others. Does HitFilm have a barrel distortion correction tool?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Not as such, but Bulge should do it. 

• Hi @Triem23, thanks for that, since I assume that's a tool for adding bulge (not used it yet). How would you use it to reverse Barrel distortion? (some of the videos I've seen on youtube it's quite severe

Well, basically you would toss the bulge effect on an adjustment and use a negative value for the bulge. Adjust X/Y scale and eyeball it. Put a Grid on an adjustment layer above the Bulge layer so you can see straight lines for reference. 

I think Bulge is limited to a thousand pixels wide--hence the adjustment layer. I think you should be able to scale the adjustment layer up so the entire video layer is affected by the Bulge. 

Barrel Distortion correction filters aren't much more complex than that--after all, barrel distortion is caused by refraction through a mostly spherical lens, right? 

On the off chance you have Mocha Pro, that has a Lens Distortion Removal module. 

• thanks @Triem23. Sadly I don't have mocha pro. I guess there might be a plugin out there that might work with hitfilm though aswell. Thnaks for the tips though I'll maybe download some youtube footage and try it out. 

VirtualDub is free and can do barrel removal. If you have  Photoshop or Gimp, you can export image sequences and batch barrel removal there, and, if you have Vegas, NewBlue has a Lens Distortion Remover plug-in. Also, while not officially supported, all my NewBlue FX (and I have Video Essentials 1-6 as well as the Light, Motion and Film transitions) except Titler Pro are working in Hitfilm. 

• Ah thanks @triem23 for that info. If gimp supports it I can get hold of that. I have photoshop but it's CS3 so don't know if that had it. I'll check it out. 

thanks again for your as usual really good help

Cs3? You're good. www.kenrockwell.com/tech/correctinglensdistortion.htm

You're welcome! 

• Also...don't forget the Lens distort & undistort effect, in HitFilm 3 Pro. :)

D'oh! *facepalm*

• D'oh indeed. I need to open my eyes too. Thanks @SimonKJones

• The HF3 plugin doesn't quite work for a GoPro (and probably other lenses. but that's what I have).

The plugin in Virtual Dub does, because it has two parameters: one for the middle 3/4 of the screen and one for the edges. Lenses are rarely uniformly fisheyed, and you end up with slightly humps in either your horizontals or your verticals with only the single slider.

Even going to three decimal negative digits in  HFP3, it's not possible to get a completely flat image in the tests I've tried, but the the Virtual Dub plugin you get most of the screen right with the one slider, then dial back adjust the 'flyaway' you get at the edges with the other. Result: Flat as a pancake.

• Sounds good, may well give that a try

Sign in to comment