color grading issue

Hi,

I need some guidance on how to change the color of a character's outfit in an action shot without affecting the rest of the shot.  I've played around with different settings and effects but cant seem to get it right.

Any help would be appreciated!  Calling all gurus!

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

You're on HFP3, right? 

There are "replace color" effects, but how well they work depends on color contrast in the footage. 

Chances are, you'll have to roto. Fun! If you're on HFP3 you can use Mocha Hitfilm to help. There aren't any Hitfilm-specific moch-roto tutorials yet, but any Mocha AE roto tutorial will get you there. From Mocha Hitfilm you would be exporting shape data in a composite shot instead of copying AE shape data to the clipboard, but that's just about the only difference in workflow. 

• Yeah, it will depend a lot on the current color, and the target color. Did you shoot it with a color change in mind? If so, then you may be able to use a Key to help with selecting the costume color. But otherwise, yeah, you've got some roto work ahead of you.

• Hi,

I was experimenting this morning and for what its worth, i used the Hue, Saturation and Lightness effect and it worked perfect.  I was able to change the color of the outfit in the action shot perfectly from yellow to red.  It did help that the scene i used was a ski scene with mostly a white snowy background..

Thanks for your input and have a great day.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator

Ah, yeah, you got lucky and the shot had a nice, contrasty color to change! It's nice when you can do it a super easy way! 

• Thanks.. If interested, this was the end result...  It's only a few minutes long.. Made this for a friend..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ek1wo45b5aw04ex/brent Bond.mp4?dl=0

Sign in to comment