Doctor who Vortex intro

edited August 2011 in Filmmaking
So a friend of mine is making a doctor who series and needed titles. So after a couple of hours not including rendering and editing , heres a version I did for him. Tell me what u guys think. (He didnt give me actors names so I just used old Doctors) .
(watch in HD :D)
http://vimeo.com/28061999

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Pretty cool! The animation on the Tardis itself is very good. I like the lensflares and lighting effects that you've added too.
    What software are you doing this with?
    Here are a few thoughts if you get around to doing a version two -
    [list]
    [*]It needs to be waaaaay faster. If you watch your version side-by-side with the official version, you can see that your particles and things are moving a lot slower; and in turn that makes it look more like the things are shooting outwards from the centre, rather than feeling like the camera is moving through the stuff. I think speeding them up, and adding some motion blur if possible, would really help sell the movement.
    [*]I'm not so keen on the look of the particles, they're too uniform. I think you need to vary the textures a little, and look at using various different blending or composite modes to make them a little more subtle and interesting.
    [*]How about adding some 'rings'? Again, I think these help sell the 'moving through a tunnel' look. Even just a few will help to give it that feeling of motion that you're looking for.
    [*]The rest of the background could do with some extra texture. Adding some sort of fractal noise or similar would help it feel less sparse. At the moment, it just looks like a coloured solid, rather than a vortex tunnel.
    [*]I'd also suggest adding a vignette, but not over the text or lighting effects layers. But by vignetting the edges of the screen, it will make the tunnel feel more circular, and will help both the feeling of movement and take away some of the blank-ness of the background.
    [*]The text is good, but the front face doesn't pop enough - it looks like a solid grey block, rather than the chrome effect you're going for. Are you using reflection maps / textures? Depending on what program you're using, adding some extra reflections of the environment could make it look a lot more polished.
    [/list]
    Hope those pointers give you something to think about!
    Cheers,
    Arktic.
  • Chears for the feedback. I didnt want to it to be to similar to the official one , but I'l take it all in to consideration :D
  • also im using Hitfilm Ultimate
  • I struggled a bit trying to get that kind of , tube look. I couldnt work out how to do it in hit film :S
  • Maybe using a particle effect that spins , and up the rate of the particles, so it looks like a tunnel? If that will work.... :P
  • Maybe create a 'ring' texture, and use a particle emitter?
    Alternatively, create the ring texture using planes and masks, and then either move it through 3D space towards the camera (and maybe keyframe the scale a little so it expands as it gets nearer the camera) to create that sense of 3D movement. Then, once you've created it, just copy and paste it as many times as you like throughout the sequence.
    Hope that helps :)
    Cheers,
    Arktic.
  • Thats good. Need a tutorial!! But no one can ever replace the 10th doctor, he is the best!!

• Thats good. Need a tutorial!! But no one can ever replace the 10th doctor, he is the best!!

Damn straight, though I think Matt Smith is doing a fine job. Maybe some one a bit older next time however.
  • Psssht. Tom Baker all the way. Would you like a jelly baby?
    Cool stuff Daniboy! As Arktic says, I'd definitely go for faster. Would match the pace of the music more also.
  • That was awesome. Love the text i am also working on a doctor who series, so could we have a tutorial.
    I think the 9th doctor was pretty good.
  • I think that the new doctor who s are sadly getting weaker, or maybe it's just me, (not falling for it as much) who knows!
  • Here's a vortex effect I worked up a while ago in experimenting. Not exactly the same effect, but it does involve creating a tunnel-type effect of a similar nature.
    http://youtu.be/cmSUdPlFFYA
    I used a circle emitter, then set the Trajectory to Cone, and pointed the cone straight at the camera, with a radius of 0. Then moved the emitter well away from the camera, and sped the particles way up.
    The rings are a second emitter, a point emitter with a cone trajectory, set to shoot straight at the camera at 0.7 particles per second, with a Ring-shaped texture.
  • I'l start work on version 2 tomorrow. Chears You Guys :D

• Here's a vortex effect I worked up a while ago in experimenting. Not exactly the same effect, but it does involve creating a tunnel-type effect of a similar nature.
    http://youtu.be/cmSUdPlFFYA
    I used a circle emitter, then set the Trajectory to Cone, and pointed the cone straight at the camera, with a radius of 0. Then moved the emitter well away from the camera, and sped the particles way up.
    The rings are a second emitter, a point emitter with a cone trajectory, set to shoot straight at the camera at 0.7 particles per second, with a Ring-shaped texture.

Can you move the ring, so it gives I the effect like in docotor who, where the worm hole bends, and curves? Just move the particle emitter??? Or more complicated?

• Damn straight, though I think Matt Smith is doing a fine job. Maybe some one a bit older next time however.

Have you ever wondered why Matt smith kind of looks like the 10th doctor? I thought they would bring back david Tennant if he wanted to come back. I quit watching doctor who just cause when you seen the best doc (10th) nothing else compares to it!! Has your friend made any Doc who shorts yet, like to see these..
  • You gunna have a tardis in your films?
  • Not my films guys :D , the guy is in pre production at the moment, hes releasing them on Vimeo.
  • Drop us a link to your friends short Doc Who movie!!
  • edited September 2011
    Ah man, you stole my entry! I was hoping to be the first person to do the time tunnel effect with hitfilm, but oh well- guess the cat's out of the bag now. I'll still keep working on mine, but I have to give you props- that was a good job.
    I think your best touches are the fonts, the lens flare and the actual spinning Tardis- thats what I'm most interested in. Where did you get that?
  • Completely forgot to update this. My friends production seems to be going slowly, however I did finish the title intro for him. Here's the finished intro, as a template for him (meaning I used 2 old doctors name and no episode title).
    http://vimeo.com/31296446
  • That's a pretty fine Doctor Who intro. The only thing that stands out to me is the fact the lens flares at the bottom of the screen freeze when the title comes up (around 0:27 - 0:28). Just looks a little odd when everything else is moving so nicely.
    Great stuff!
    My era was Tom Baker/Peter Davision - Yarrr!!!!
  • The second version was much, much better i think, the illusion of speed and going through a tunnel was achieved a lot better this time, i personally liked the way the purple smoke/galaxies whatever they are, passed the screen- looked very cool. The tardis was also really well rendered and looked much better this time. Looking forward to seeing this completed, is their anyway we can follow your mate?...through social networks obviously :D
  • He's not doing a production diary, or at least he hasn't started one yet. From what I can tell, he's in a bit of development hell. Il post a link if he starts one however!

Sign in to comment

Leave a Comment